Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Once again the clique

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Pardalis, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pardalis

Pardalis PetForums Junior

is given preference and anyone else's debate gets curtailed. I guess my only chance for a conversation would be to agree to something I don't believe in.

Funny how the right to give an opinion gets given to a select few. Actually, not funny at all. Very sad in fact.

2. I should think that comparing people who dont agree with your views with Hitler and the eugenic's is a normal reaction to a discussion to you?

Either way its to late at night for me to really care.

3. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

It was because of your references that the thread was closed... not preferential treatment I tend to be pretty unbiased......

4. Pardalis

I stand by the eugenics point only.

Anyway - as you were. I don't suppose anyone will stop doing the harm that they are doing for people looking for advice

5. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

6. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Godwin's Law - had to happen sometime I suppose.

7. Pardalis

Where do I claim my prize?!!!

Seriously though, I hate bullies. There's a story behind all of us, and not always a happy one.

I'll add my thoughts to the main pregnancy thread

Gratch likes this.
  8. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

It is generally accepted that the person who brings it into a discussion has lost the argument.

9. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

I dont think it had anything to do with there being a clique
    To be fair your thread was very aggressive in tone , it was a given it would be closed

If you want your threads to remain open try not insulting everyone , maybe then people would be willing to listen to your opinion and not just dismiss you

10. MatildaG

MatildaG PetForums Member

It was also the first time I've ever seen someone insult the appearance of someone's cats on here - something I, as a cat lover, could never do.

11. What I obviously dont understand is...

If someone does not share you view on breeding moggies and clogging up rescues, putting a cat at risk for no real reason and risking health problems in kittens then they are part of the eugenic movement?

Its not about breeding from the prettiest its about health and welfare. Since when is it okay to pump litters out of any animal without real homes for them to go to?

I would have no problem with moggie breeding if it was done correctly and there were health tests out there to be done. Sadly we see it on here and they dont know if the dads some illness riddled stray or next doors handsome Siamese cat.

I have 3 moggies, 1 is very ill with genetic problems which cause allergies and skin problems. Like I enjoy seeing him with his lip so swollen he cant eat or with patches of fur pulled out and red lumps all over his body. :glare:

12. Shayden

Shayden Banned

i dont think any1 has ever disputed that health tests should be done on all cats regardless of pedigree if they are to be bread from!

but at the same time... if someone came on here and said i breed moggies and i do all the things a pedigree breeder does and i abide by the gccf guidelines etc they would still be ridiculed!

in the same breath pedigree breeders are telling people to go to the rspca and get a moggie but at the same time these cats are not health tested and because of that you can get a cute kitten with serious ilnesses which maybe someone doesnt want to have to deal with.... this is after all the reason why breeders health test their cats tho isnt it!

just a thought.... Maybe if some or all the breeders we have out here reduced the amount of litters they have every year or maybe stopped breeding all together then people would be more inclined to go to these shelters and "save a cats life"

you cant have it both ways!

Gratch likes this.
  13. That is not true at all. Most of the pedigree owners on this site have at least 1 moggie. The issue is not with the breed of cat but the "ethics" behind the litter. People let their female out to have a litter with who knows what, and puts their cat at risk for the sake of a cute little litter.

If they tested, went to a tested stud (instead of any old cat) and raised the litter correctly (I have been to many moggie births and have seen them being fed on all sorts and in poor condition.

I myself have no problem with moggie breeding if done correctly and with vetted homes for the litter to go to.

My 3 moggies.....did I get vetted? Questioned? Did they even ask for my name? No.....I just went, they gave me the cat, I gave them the money and off we went. :sleep:

14. Shayden

Shayden Banned

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOUR POST... but

what im saying is.... to quite afew breeders (not all so plz dont jump on me) its still a moggy, its still just a domestic cat! ... and people would then say "even though they are heath checked etc bred properly WHY are you breeding them nowing that there are .... thousands if not hundreds of thousand of cats that are put to sleep because suitable homes cant be found!.... heath testing and ethical breeding aside people would still say your adding to a anready bad problem!

there is more than one issue here!

as i said before... maybe if all these pedigree breeders would stop breeding then there would be a higher demand for other cats and kittens who are in desperate need of a home!

as i said.... you cant have it both ways

15. IF pedigree breeders stopped breeding whole lines would die out. We have looked into this with dog breeding (staffs and other over populated breeds) and good lines would die out because the bitch would become to old to take a litter from.

Not only that but a rescue cat isnt for everyone.

IF moggie breeders made it clear that no cat should be rehomed unless it comes back to them first then alot less moggies would end up in rescues. Many pedigree breeders have a contact (although not legally binding) saying that in the event of re-homing the cat must come back to them. Hence why more pedigree cats dont end up in rescues, because the breeder is willing to take back all their cats and rehome them correctly or keep them.

16. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Have i read this right? You paid for cats that were not health tested? Going by your post its sounds like you are saying that they should be tested and only buy from ethical breeders.But a breeder that can't be botherd as to what sort of home their cats/dogs go to aren't what i understand to be ethical.:confused:

17. Yes exactly.
    My cats are not tested nor were their parents. I grew up with moggies so when I got my own place I went and got my cats. Although kept in good conditions their breeders really could not have given a crap. I still went ahead and got them. I accept I funded bad breeding ethics. Which is the exact reason I believe moggies should not be bred unless done correctly!

I have yet to meet a moggie breeder who tests their cats and writes up a contract asking for the cats back if there are any problems.

18. When I was a kid pedigree cats were a rarity!

19. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Absoloutely not true. The RSPCA snap tests all incoming cats for FeLV/FIV, or at least the centre close to me does so I can only assume it's a nationwide policy.

20. loz83

loz83 PetForums Member

I understand the need for health tests in cats, as I had a male which had to be PTS last year :(

He was diagnosed with HCM (htpertrophic cardiomyopathy, thickening of the heart muscle) about 3 years ago (He was a moggie, from a farm cat) and had been on medication ever since. Luckily, at that point I was with the PDSA, and therefore didn't have to pay over £500 for his diagnosis.

I knew something was wrong when he would just lay on the floor and foam and the mouth panting and yowling, I knew there was something very wrong.

He went downhill very fast last year, within a matter of days. He stopped jumping on the work surface, and even fell off one of the chairs. One morning I got up to find him laid on the floor yowling in pain, his back legs were stiff and he couldn't move :(

I had him straight in at the vets, and she said that rigormortis had set in in his legs due to a blood clot and he was in a lot of pain :(

I took the decision to have him PTS, although we could try some medication, the vet advised me the success rate was only around 10 %, and it wouldn't last very long anyway. He was only 8 and a half :(

I know this is common in many breeds of cat, but it is also, from my experience, also in x-breeds of cats. Also it usually only affects male cats, my mum has his sister from the same litter and she is absolutely fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice