On verge of a breakdown due to staff Dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by BazzaBan, Feb 6, 2018.

1. BazzaBan

BazzaBan PetForums Newbie

Complete desperation levels, at my wits end with my Staffordshire Bull Terrier , 7 years old. I am totally fed up with her, could cry I am so frustrated. I feel like most people would have given her away, she hurdles the Sofa, barks constantly if you don’t let her on the Sofa, jumps up at the windows, drinks too much to the point of making herself sick, bites beds (spent £100s over the years on lovely padded beds) barks at other dogs, urinates when strangers stroke her ( this was cute but means all visitors to the house have to fuss her on the garden) I love her with all my heart would do anything for her but things have never been this bad I feel like my life is being ruined I dread coming home, it’s just not fun anymore

2. BazzaBan

She doesn’t want for anything , she gets chicken dinners regularly, all the best dog treats, expensive dog food, she is spoilt to death. I feel like she can’t be changed at this late stage due to her age

3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

it really does not sound much fun for the dog either. You have got to do something about it. Can you get a good behavourist to help you but first port of call is the vet to make sure there is nothing wrong. How long have you owned her , has she always been like this. Don't give her away, if all else fails then you will have to put her to sleep.

cbcdesign and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. BazzaBan

There’s no way I’d give her away, I just feel like the only time this is fun is when she’s settled for the night and she’s all sleepy, I don’t know how it’s got so bad. I have another dog and he is as good as gold, he’s no trouble at all. I just feel like all I can do is accept that she’s not going to change and will carry on ruining my evenings and weekends. I can’t take her anywhere because of how hyperactive she is (no matter how long I take her for walks or runs before we go) just had to rant and also see if anyone else is suffering like this. Thing is it doesn’t sound like much fun for her but it’s like she wants to be told off before she settles down. She is so annoying at the moment it’s unreal

5. BazzaBan

I’ve owned her since being a puppy , she has always been a bit naughty which I didn’t mind but never as bad as this. I moved house in November thought it was that at first but surely she would’ve settled by now

6. BlueJay

BlueJay wag more ★ bark less

She sounds poorly trained more than anything else, to be honest :Bag sorry

Its not all about spoiling with fancy meals and treats; structure, training reinforcement and bonding are all extremely important.
    It is never too late to work with a dog. They are always more than capable of leaning - willingness is another matter... that just means you need to put in more effort to find what motivates her.

7. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

How much exercise is she having each day and do you do any training with her?

We have a 3 year old Staffy bitch and, left to her own devices, she would be an absolute hooligan. She very easily becomes over excited and boils over so, the trick is to keep her below her threshold.

I only talk to her in a very quiet voice and have taught her a very firm "settle down" command, which means she must go and lie in her bed.

If your bitch is drinking to the point where she makes herself sick, then limit the amount of water in the bowl so that she cannot do that. Our Staffy will often begin drinking when she's excited, so we allow her a reasonable drink, then tell her "enough". She knows that means she has to stop.

Unfortunately, young Staffies can be heedless thugs and you do have to put in the time with them.

Sairy, Lurcherlad, Sarah H and 3 others like this.
  8. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum. A few questions;

The drinking to much would concern me have you had a vet check ? How much exercise/ training do you do ? Is she chewing beds when she's alone ?

9. BazzaBan

She is having two walks per day, I used to take a ball and throw if which would tire her out more but last year she had fluid on the lung so I darent do too much running wise so the walks are probably not doing enough energy wise. I don’t do any training with her, she normally just lays on me at night , she is very cuddly (when not being naughty) she just seems to have gone backwards behaviour wise

10. BazzaBan

Thanks for the welcome
    Yes we’ve had that checked out with no clear medical reason for it. She looks directly at me whilst chewing the bed almost like she wants me to tell her off

11. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Sometimes just giving lots of exercise just creates a fitter dog that needs more exercise. It can also get them more excited. It sounds like she needs more mental stimulation. At the moment she is making her own mischief as she is understimulated.

I suggest, if she is fit and healthy, that you enrol in a positive rewards based training class (no mention of being the boss, dominance or pack leader stuff). It will give you and her something to work on and as she learns to work with you and you practice at home you will find she becomes much more responsive and also the thinking will tire her out.

Have a look at kikopup on YouTube for lots of training ideas. You might also want to explore clicker training.

Scent games (finding food or toys hidden around the house or scattered in the garden ) can also tire them out as they have to think more as do the use of puzzle toys.

It might be also worth teaching your dog to settle. Some dogs don't have an off switch unless you train it. Have a look at kikopup s great video on teaching settle.

Positively.com also has lots of advice.

You might also benefit for one to one training or a behaviourist. If you let us know where you are we might be able to recommend someone.

Sairy, Rott lover, Chatcat and 3 others like this.
  12. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

You really need to try and invest some time in training her what behaviour you do want from her. Your bitch does sound as though she has a lot of energy and nothing to channel it into.

As I said, our Staffy, Rudi, would be an unbearable nuisance if we left her to her own devices.

She has 90 minutes walk in a morning and another half hour in the afternoon. We have a Kong Wobbler, which we can fill with yoghurt and freeze or with kibble and rolling that around can keep them busy for half an hour.

We also have a treat dispenser ball which, again, you can put kibble in and the dog has to roll the ball around to get the contents out.

We also spend time teaching her tricks. We don't particularly want or need her to do tricks, but the activity is tiring for them.

You do need to teach your bitch a "settle down" or "on your bed" command. If you know she has had enough exercise and plenty of your time, then she has to go and lie down and give you some peace.

I wouldn't encourage her to lie on you when you're sitting down. She needs to learn that there are times when she has to be calm and not have your attention.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  13. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

A neighbours dog I walked was a similar live wire who had too much energy. Being a border collie he had plenty of stamina. My neighbours loved it when I took him out for a few hours as afterwards he would be shattered for the rest of the day.

Yes we would go for an hour or so walk but that isn't what exhausted him. It was that the whole time I would get him to do stuff to engage his brain. We would practice tricks (spinning in a circle, circling me in both directions, circling trees, paws up on trees, sniffing out treats in the long grass, leg weaves as I walked along. Targeting objects with his nose, (doggy push ups: stand sit down and repeat), finding his ball that I had hidden some where.

I would also do short 5 or 10 minute sessions learning a new trick with him using the clicker. Stuff like touch your nose to my hand, give me your paw, high five, the shell game (google shell game for dogs), walking backwards.

None of this required lots of running about (we did some ball play and go and do your own stuff sniffing too) but he was exhausted after so much mental activity.

Training doesn't need to take much time. Waiting for the kettle to boil or TV ad breaks are the perfect time.

14. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I don't think 7 is old for a Staffie could be wrong it does sound like there might be some anxiety at play. Something may have spooked her without you realising. Could you try a plug in defusor ?

Agree with the above simple training can help tire the mind my female boxer is a terrible nuisance and this does help.

You mention fluid on the lungs does this mean she can't go off lead ? How about classes ? Scent work or something similar for fun ?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  15. Katalyst

Katalyst A Lanky Lurcher and a Delinquent Dobermann

This really sticks out to me.
    It's really common to see a dog that acts up because that's when it gets attention.
    To you, you're shouting at your dog.
    To your dog, "OMG, owner is finally looking at me and talkin to me!"

The moments you choose to give attention to your dog are important as that attention is reinforcing whatever the dog is doing at the time.
    It sounds to little old me like in your dogs head, "OH YOU LITTLE SOD!!" equates to "Hey dog, you're doing stuff and it makes me talk to you".

The kikopup video above is good.
    Interact with her when she's being good. Teach her tricks and good behaviours like down-stay, send to bed, waiting politely for food before eating. Things that also serve to teach impulse control.

fernlady, Sairy, Chatcat and 6 others like this.
  16. BazzaBan

I am worried if I play ball with her like before the fluid then it could bring it on again , sort of playing it safe but she did absolutely love it when we played catch before. I could query it with the vet to check. Spoken to my wife and decided got to do something may arrange some classes / one on one behaviourist

17. BazzaBan

Th
    Thanks I have been watching this just now and will try it

18. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Unlikely that ball throwing would have caused fluid on the lungs.

As you say, check with your Vet, but I don't see why she isn't able to run at this stage.

Lurcherlad, Katalyst and Sproglet like this.
  19. Rachel36

Rachel36 PetForums Newbie

I honestly feel your pain. My dog is 1 year old now and we had him at8 weeks. I have no look doing even basic training with him. I ended up sending him to a dog training place for 3 weeks just after Christmas. He is doing well now but it’s taking a lot of work to keep it going and reinforce it all. There seems some good ideas of stuff to try on here so don’t give up. You will both find a way to live in harmany again soon I’m sure.

20. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

She sounds like a naughty child that hasn't been taught how to behave and has sussed out that creating havoc gets attention.

As suggested, she needs some good, positive training.

I would not advocate sending a dog away for training btw. You need to be trained to train her ;)

She also sounds a bit anxious (hence the weeing when meeting people) so I would limit her interactions to stressful situations too. Put her in another room with a filled Kong when visitors come and keep a good distance from strange people and dogs when out and about and reward her calm behaviour.

fernlady, PickleRoo and Rafa like this.