Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

On opinions on Zoo's..

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Devil-Dogz, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

Didnt want to spoil someone elses thread, but wanted to hear opinions on Zoos..

(I could see the thread turning into a debate, but that is not what the OP wanted - so here you go!)

2. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

I think they're fantastic. The research they do and the knowledge garnered from the husbandry that takes place is invaluable and greatly benefits animals in the wild.

It also provides education for all ages and types of people, plus the funding they provide for people like myself to go and do research in the wild makes further knowledge possible.

Em
    xx

3. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

im no fan of them ive said it before and i'll say it again ...the majority do the bare minimun for conservation in the wild, they kill surplus animals even of endangered species, yet they continue to breed because babies animals are crowd pullers!....and even tho many studies showing elephants in zoos suffer immensly both physically and mentally some zoos continue to keep them..again because theyre a big crowd puller.

4. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

I haven't been to one for years and doubt I will again. Some may serve a useful purpose I guess, as with everything there will be good and bad zoos ... and boy are there some BAD ones in the world :(

5. smudgiesmummy

smudgiesmummy PetForums VIP

you know my opinion on it ... people just do not give them a fair chance becoz of the bad ones

this isnt about zoo's but i thijnk you should see it , this is what you should be complaining about and not the goodness of some zoo's

Granada Regional News | Granada Reports - ITV Local

6. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Not all are bad, and they do raise funds for wildlife, most anyway, As for the zoos like in some middle eastern and asian countries, there not zoos there disgusting.

7. piggybaker

piggybaker PetForums VIP

MMmm its a difficult one,, on one hand these places are no better than a circus the animals are for public show and enjoyment,
    But some places ie Port lyme / Howletts have a great breeding program for going back into the wild.

When ever I have been tot he zoo I have always felt odd about elephants for exsample, these animals are so magnificent but here they are in a concrete enviroment,, the wolf they want to hunt the same with the lion and tiger,, to be fed makes them different,,I'm not really making sense but I know what I mean.

8. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Chester have 567 animals that are not on show to the public, not because they wouldn't draw people in, but because daily monitoring has shown that those specific animals display some stereotypical behavior or or not happy when on show to the public. They are also off show if they are breeding or in quarantine. They have the same space and welfare that is afforded to the animals on exhibit

Em
    xx

9. smudgiesmummy

well i can assure you chesters elephants are mot on concrete 24/7 ... for most of the day they are actually outside in the fresh air like all the animals that can and on sand , mud and other natural environments

10. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

As I refuse to keep any animal in either a cage/compound or pen for the entirety of its existence I refuse to visit a Zoo.

I'd much prefer to see an animal free in its natural environment.

11. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

They HAVE to have access to a concreted area by law too

Em
    xx

12. smudgiesmummy

as much as its nice to see animals in the natural environment its not always possible

to be honest imo you are being unfair if you havent seen what they are like in zoo's and safari parks ... thats just my opinon though

13. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Some are better than others obviously but I don't feel comfortbale with most of the animals being in captivity.

Some animals seem to be able to adapt more than others but although I have attended several zoos in the past few years (my OH has 2 kids) & try to go with an open mind I generally come away feeling that it's the visitors needs that are catered for first & foremost with the animals much further down.

I doubt I will be visiting another one tbh

14. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

....duplicate post......

15. piggybaker

piggybaker PetForums VIP

I didn't know that sorry ,, I stand corrected;)

16. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

:D No danger hen :thumbup:

Em
    xx

17. foxxy cleopatra

foxxy cleopatra PetForums VIP

Daddy's takin' us to the zoo tomorrow,
    zoo tomorrow, zoo tomorrow
    Daddy's takin' us to the zoo tomorrow
    and we can stay all day!

We're goin' to the zoo, zoo, zoo
    How about you, you, you?
    You can come too, too, too
    We're goin' to the zoo, zoo, zoo.

See the elephant with the long trunk swingin'
    Great big ears and a long trunk swingin'
    Snuffin' up peanuts with a long trunk swingin'
    And we can stay all day!

See all the monkeys they're scritch-scritch scratchin'
    jumpin' around and scritch-scritch scratchin'
    Hangin' by the long-tail (huff huff huff)
    And we can stay all day!

There's a big black bear he's a huff-puff-a-puffin'
    His coat's too heavy he's a huff-puff-a-puffin'
    Don't get too near the huff-puff-a-puffin'
    Or you won't stay all day!

Well the seals in the pool all honk-honk-honkin'
    Catchin' the fish and honk-honk-honkin'
    Little tiny seals all honk-honk-honkin'
    And we can stay all day!

Well we stayed all day and I'm gettin' sleepy
    Sittin' in the car gettin' sleep sleep sleepy
    Home already gettin' sleep sleep sleepy
    'Cause we have stayed all day.

We been to the zoo zoo zoo
    So have you you you
    You came too too too
    We been to the zoo zoo zoo

MOMMY'S TAKIN' US TO THE ZOO TOMORROW!
    Zoo tomorrow, zoo tomorrow!
    Mommy's takin' us to the zoo tomorrow
    And we can stay all day!

18. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

I think some zoo's are run really good. We have a regular zoo in calgary and i always enjoyed going there when I was younger, but there is also a private zoo in Alberta and the conditions are appalling there is a petition to get it closed, after someone posted pictures to ctv at least now the SPCA is looking into it and now the Gov'ts job is too decide whether to renew the license. I'll find the facebook link so those that wish can have a nosey, and there own link as well....Jill ps In my opinion he can't care for the animals so should be shut down...

19. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Good. I hope it's closed asap. Edinburgh are at risk of losing their license next year if they don't make improvements.

Em
    xx

20. McBenson

McBenson PetForums Member

It's such a difficult subject. The Zoos I have visited have enclosures that to me seem too small for the animals and very stark with little to entertain. If you kept your dog in the garden even with toys it would eventually go stir crazy.

The giraffes for example have an indoor enclosure which is about big enough for the animals to turn round. Their outdoor space is not big enough to run around, has concrete surface, no greenery (I know that some indiginous trees of the UK are poisonous to Giraffes) and the have a pole with a basket on top for their feed.

There is some good that they do for educational purposes and as some people have stated give insight into breeding patterns, observations we might not be able to perform in the wild and go some way to reduce species dying out.

I do prefer Safari parks as they give the animals much more free space to live a little more naturally and to feed in a more natural way to the animal.

However saying that, I live near a zoo and I do take my children there - call me a hypocrit if you like but these place aren't going to be closed down if I don't attend and it is a good educational and fun experience for my kids.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice