Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

on heat????????????????

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kinley, Jan 2, 2012.

1. kinley

kinley PetForums Senior

lexie is walking round mieowing her head off, and has been for a few days now and its getting worse!!!

surely shs too young and tiny for that, shes still pretty small

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

It's not impossible. Average is about 9 months but like everything that means some will be earlier and some later. My sister started her periods at age 8!!!!!! Nature is a cruel beast. I started at nearly 15! Keep a very close eye on her and make sure she doesn't get out, vets are more likely to spay young if you tell them she is already calling. Does she crouch down with her bum in the air and tail held to the side?

3. kinley

kinley PetForums Senior

ive just seen her crouching down with her bum in the air looking terribly strange, oh dear will my vet spay her with her being so small?? xx

i have no phone to ring the vets

4. Ingrid25

Ingrid25 PetForums VIP

yeah i'm sure your vet will spay her, Leo was neautured at about 11 weeks so 4 month should be fine!

5. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

Early spaying is quite common now. Some breeders do it before the kitten leaves for their new home, so you should be fine.
    At least if you get her done there is no worry for the future

6. kinley

kinley PetForums Senior

oh i will 100% get her spayed, when my drowsiness has fully gone i will go to the stinky phone box down the street lol and get her booked in for this week

xx

7. Douglas

Douglas PetForums Newbie

get her done young, the op will be ever so ever so slightly riskier (due to the drugs) but she will recover faster than if you leave it. By far the biggest risk to her health is to have kittens as she can suffer complications and infections - and you'll end up with a house full of kitties. (If she is a housecat there is still a risk of her getting pregnant. toms are persistent and windows are sometimes left open! This happened to a friend of mine - she and her cat were in a second floor flat!)

8. broccoli

broccoli PetForums VIP

vets all have different rules - and v few will do the op while shes on heat - give them a call & see
    (mine have a 3kg minimum - one of mine didnt meet that at 6 months!)

9. dagny0823

dagny0823 PetForums VIP

They do them all the time over here. 2lbs or 2 months, whatever comes first. I worry about it in terms of growth for males, but I don't think it's quiet as important as it is for dogs. They seem to do fine and they do bounce back really fast when they're young. Blake hardly seemed to notice and, while I know it's less invasive for boys, he had a reascended testicle, so he basically had a spay and a neuter in the same day, and he was fine by the 2nd day, like nothing ever happened. She'll be fine. And it sure beats a potential litter of Kobi-Lexi kittens, cute though they might be.

10. kinley

kinley PetForums Senior

will they do it while shes on heat?

11. spid

spid PetForums VIP

probably not but it should only last a week

12. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

Has Kobi been neutered yet?? If not you are going to have to seperate them until Lexie is spayed!!

13. kinley

kinley PetForums Senior

kobi was nuetered in november!!!! :)

shes booked in for friday, is there anything i can do to help her in the meantime, also how do i stop it driving my nuts lol

xx

14. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Okay ready for grossness????

When she is in a call (really going for it) - tickle her tummy by going 'in from the back' and tickle just in-between her back legs - this should make her stamp/ paddle more with her feet. Keep it going for a coupe of mins if poss - she will think she is having sex (hence the grossness) and afterwards will roll around on the floor for a while - this then can stop the noise for an hour or two.

Other than that I know of nothing else you can do - just buy ear plugs and wait it out!

#14 spid, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  15. amyrj16

amyrj16 PetForums Member

When Miley used to come into a heat i would lie on my floor next to her on the rug talking to her softly etc and just stroking her head gently ... didnt stop anythign completely but it did settle her slightly ... and she did get slightly quieter as i was doing it. Didnt help for long though, i didnt get much sleep on the weeks she would call :( My vet spays when in heat though, which i didnt know at the time as i cancelled her first spay appt cos she was calling.

16. kinley

kinley PetForums Senior

ive tried lol and she just pats her feet then moves off lol

17. Maistaff

Maistaff PetForums Senior

When our queens are in heat my mum tends to hold them real close on ein particular likes to bury her head under my mum's arm and it soothes her.

One thing i will mention that no one else has is that queens in season do mark, our girls no matter what age they came in to call pee in all sorts of places, beds, sofa, my dogs beds anywhere really so be on the look out for it. Our girls all live outside when they call.

Good luck with the operation hope it all goes well

18. dagny0823

dagny0823 PetForums VIP

Some will. Some won't. Some will early neuter. Some want to absolutely wait for 6 months. Ask one vet, he'll say "White", ask another, he'll say "Black".

19. catlove844

catlove844 PetForums Senior

neutering can be done from 8 weeks of age, nothing to do with weight of the cats, so she can be done now, Id call the vet and say that she is calling and you want her done now, 4 half months is zero difference to 6 months of age, and kittens can call from as young at 3months, so best to have them done asap!! :)

20. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

While this is true not all vets are prepared to neuter at 8 weeks, not all vets are even prepared to neuter at 4 months and many vets will only neuter when kittens reach a certain weight.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice