Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

On a countdown to getting our kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by AstroKitties, Feb 7, 2021.

1. AstroKitties

AstroKitties PetForums Junior

Excited. We've now got 10 days until our kittens come home.

Think we are ready. So far we have:
    Cat carrier
    Cat beds
    Blankets
    Grooming kit
    Food and water bowls
    Litter trays and cat litter
    Pheromone plug in and spray
    Wet food
    Lots of toys with feather and fluffy kept in a lidded box 8n cupboard
    Scratching post
    Cat tree
    Personalised christmas tree decorations as couldn't help myself as so cute
    We get 4 weeks insurance which we'll continue with when ends.
    Will be joining the Health Pet Club once register at vets which provides flea and worm treatment plus discount off visits and spaying etc.

House is looking tidy but they're bound to find a small hidey hole somewhere :)

Time will start to go slooooow now.

Attached Files:

2. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums VIP

Yep, looks like you've got all the basics, and then some! Try not to think about it too much and try to keep busy... If you're all feeling hyped with excitement when they arrive, it might give them a fright and make them hide, so best to limit time with new kittens for the first few days until they are feeling more confident...

3. AstroKitties

Yes we are excited but know we need to try not to show it too much when they come into our home not knowing us and being taken away from their mummy and siblings.
    I've purposely kept some cardboard boxes for them to hide in too.

Willsee likes this.
  4. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Looks like you are very organised, lucky kittens. Good luck :D Just make sure there are no dangerous places they can hide, kittens have been known to get under floorboards, behind cookers etc. You might do better to give them a smaller space like a spare room if you have one to begin with where you can keep more of an eye on them and they don't get too overwhelmed by a big new space and strangers so settle more easily..

ebonycat likes this.
  5. AstroKitties

Yes we've been thinking about this too. So many knowledgeable people on here, I've learned lots.

Thankfully we have engineered wood floors, the cooker is raised up and have storage drawers filling space under sofas etc.

It's looking best for them to have lounge/dining room. As then will have beds, small cat tree/scratch post, litter tray and ball toys to play with. Thinking of the playroom now, I think they would find a nook in the cupboards amongst the many toys my girls have in there and the spare bedroom has been changed into an office for myself and husband as our offices have been closed and we are working fully from home until at least July but I reckon even longer.

Fingers crossed they settle well. If necessary though we will change things to make it better for them.

ebonycat and Charity like this.
  6. LeArthur

LeArthur PetForums VIP

Exciting times ahead!!

Although why the monthly payment plan? Does it work out cheaper than buying the flea and wormer yourself? Although if you're only allowing kittens access to your garden (once their older of course!) flea and worm treatment might not be necessary.

I get flea and wormer on a regular delivery from VioVet and have both my cats on the Vac4Life.

buffie likes this.
  7. AstroKitties

The vet we are looking to register with kindly gave us an invoice for flea, worm and booster vac which when compared to signing up to the plan we would save ~£90 per year. Then also get 10-20% discounts off vet consults and products, nail clipping, fixed price dental and a 6 month check up. The other bits like first vacs and microchip would have made it even more of a saving but our breeder has done those.

Seems a good plan.

What do you get from viovet? Can't find what was on the invoice on there.

Do you have to use the vet service if sign up for the Vac4Life? Not great reviews of our local ones hence choosing the other one have experience of albeit a long time ago now so prob really different now.

8. LeArthur

LeArthur PetForums VIP

VioVet is for Advantage flea treatment (once a month) and Drontal wormer (every 3 months).

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Advantage-40-Spot-On-Flea-Control-Cats-Small-Dogs-and-Rabbits/c41742/

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Drontal-Cat-Wormer/c46457/

Couldn't tell you about Vets4Pets, I don't see why you couldn't register with them and then go somewhere else should you need it. The Vac4Life includes a 6 month check up.

You can get them used to claw clipping easy enough and do it yourself. Play with their feet while they're asleep and they'll let you clip their claws soon enough.

Isn't the breeder taking them to the vets for their 12 week booster?

9. AstroKitties

Thanks will check out viovet for those and research more about the plan being cost effective or not.

We have nail clippers in our grooming kit but handy to know the service is there if they don't allow us to do it.

Yes the breeder has done the second vac few days ago. Doing registration (hopefully with her prefix just got not that I understandif makes any differenceif didn'thave one). Then microchip before we collect when 13 weeks old.

LeArthur likes this.
  10. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I would also double check the cost of this.
    I had considered it when Meeko was a kitten but once I worked out the costs it was actually not worth it.
    As Meeko is an indoor cat with access to a run in the garden he isn't routinely flea treated nor wormed and after his initial kitten vacs and first year booster he is not vaccinated annually either .

LeArthur likes this.
  11. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Not sure what the pheromone is needed. The kittens I've sold have all settled fine without one.

Is the food what they are used to? They need to settle in for a week or so before changing it.

I also recommend keeping them in one room to start with, preferably the living room.

Also agree that if cats aren't going out, or go into a secure garden or a catio that regular flea & worm treatment isn't needed though I still do worm kittens.

If the breeder doesn't have their own prefix then an administration prefix is used - they all start 'ad'. It costs a bit more to register with an administrative prefix but in the overall cost of a pedigree litter it's peanuts.

I was so excited about starting to breed I had mine before I got my first girl!

https://www.gccfcats.org/Breeding/Administration-Prefixes

12. AstroKitties

Thanks, I will def be looking more into it today.

As will be indoor cats we prob will look to do similar of perhaps every 3 months. Thought best to do something in case need to stay at vets or cattery.

Will need annual booster vac as may need to stay in a cattery next Feb if our already covid postponed vow renewal isn't postponed or cancelled again. There is a chance our friendly neighbours could pop in to feed and check on them but is a big ask.

She has a prefix which she told us about and it appeared on gccf on 20 Jan so assume she will register our litter using it.

We have the food they are used to. It did dissappear from ZP in Jan but thankfully is back being sold again. We will eventually introduce other brands slowly as read about on here as seen it is good to have choice to rotate through not just to stop boredom but also if no stock available etc.

So much to learn about. I'm sure I'll be on here lots asking annoying questions.

Thanks everyone xx

Babyshoes likes this.
  13. Sheltie2021

Sheltie2021 PetForums Member

I do the monthly plan for pumpkin but only because he's an outdoor cat now (was 100% indoor for first 5yrs)
    I find it's easy and get a txt reminder when his flea or worming is needed which is gd for me as I'm forgetful
    It also covers his booster plus an annual health check
    It's 10 a month which I thinks gd for piece of mind

AstroKitties likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice