Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Omg!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sophiex, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Sophiex

Sophiex PetForums VIP

A friend from work had a lovely dog who was sadly killed when she ran out in the road after someone accidently left the door open. :( Ever since then, it's been my worst nightmare.

This morning, I opened the backdoor to let Oscar into the garden. The stupid gardener had left the back gate open again! :mad: Before I could get there quickly enough, Oscar legged it - through the gate, down the front path and onto the pavement, about an inch away from an extremely busy road. Oscar has NO recall, (I know, I know, BAD owner) he just never comes to me when called. I followed him, of course, in my pjs and socks it the pouring rain. I crouched down, waved my arms and beckoned him calling "OSCAR COME!" in a high pitched voice (trying to sound inviting and exciting, not frantic) and he ran towards me at lightening speed. I got suck a shock that he actually came back and the speed of my 11 pound dog felt like a bullet and I felt flat onto my bottom with Oscar standing in my lap.

My heart has only just stopped beating at 500 beats per minute but at least, I'm dry now!

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Well done Oscar for coming back when it really counts.
    Poor you you must of nearly had a heart attack.

3. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

Wow good boy Oscar for coming back. I know the sick feeling of panic when you realise whats happening. I bet you are so pleased Oscar decided to listen just this once.

4. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Good boy Oscar! That must have been terrifying for you, I'm glad it ended well.
    Maybe you could put a sign on the inside of your gate to remind the gardener to close it after himself in the future.

5. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

oh god your poor friend from work :(

This is what i dread - and why i don't like my dad to leave the front door wide open when he goes outside, nor do i like the dogs to even set foot in the front garden. god knows what could happen. The other day i had come home with my mum from shopping only to be greeting by two rather excited dogs. So i put my bags down said hello and went to empty the kitchen bin and out to the wheeley bin. Before i went out i made Mika sit and told him to stay. Silly boy decided 'i'm much too excited to be obedient' and decided to run out on the drive! I was like 'MIKA' in a very stern voice and thankfully he came back after being called.

I have to admit he got a right telling off. I know, should've praised him for coming back but i was so sick with worry thinkiing he'd take himself for a walk and get himself killed in the process.

6. gazt

gazt Banned

i had a dog run over a few years ago another dog chased her off the field into the path of an oncoming car it hit her she slid along the road a few yards and laid there unconcious in the middle of the road she was a little yorkie cross smashing little dog another car stopped and rushed me to the vets i thought she was a gonner but she pulled threw but was never the same she died 8 months later it had done some thing to her chest area that went undetected then it was to late we were gutted so i now how you felt it makes your heart race i,m pleased your dog came running back to you it is a nightmare when they get run over you never forget it ,i have seen two others hit by cars one died nearly strait away as i held it for an old couple the other was a stray staff who was hit as the car braked it smashed his number plate slid across the road but got up and come to me when i called her took it home and called the dog warden out to fetch her it shakes you up rotten

7. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I know how you feel, I absoloutely hate it when my dogs are in the front garden, I can't take my eyes off them because i'm so paranoid about them getting out :(

I had a lab x when I was little and she was hit by a car because my dad was walking her off lead along a busy road :nonod: and he will never, ever learn. He always leaves the doors open and then wonders why I sometimes literally have to scream at him.... he is just so thick :cursing:

Last week my neighbour had to come round to tell us that Tiger was running riot on the front street (we live near roads which aren't really busy but people drive quite fast up and down them) and my dad had to go chasing after him to bring him back..... we've tried doing recall with him but he just goes into his own little bubble when he's outside and he just doesn't listen to a word anyone says :rolleyes:

My dad had gone to put something in the recycling bin outside and the stupid, stupid ar**hole had left the door wide open and didn't notice Tiger running past him, down the drive and along the bloody street :cursing: :cursing: he seriously doesn't deserve to own a dog, he is the most irresponsible, stupid man i've ever known.

8. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

OMG how frightening for you!

At least Oscar came back to you when it really counted - what a good boy :)

I don't worry about Harvey so much but I'm terrified about Pippa getting out

Ellie x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice