Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Omg!!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by WelshYorkieLover, Jan 25, 2012.

1. WelshYorkieLover

WelshYorkieLover PetForums VIP

I just got bitten very badly by Chico! He sunk his top and bottom teeth into my hand and didn't let go. He kept chewing. I'm diabetic and havent been feeling very well recently due to low blood sugar levels. As soon as he bit me I started feeling faint. I went to the bathroom to wash my hand but could feel myself going. I managed to make it to the toilet thankfully before passing out but I woke up slumped over the bath! My hand is in agony! So I'm gonna have great pleasure in asking the vet to snip his balls off!!

I'm sitting in the hospital waiting to be seen :0(

2. swatton42

swatton42 PetForums Senior

Ouch! Hope your OK hun.

3. chrisd

chrisd PetForums VIP

Nasty. Hope you're ok.

4. WelshYorkieLover

Thanks both! I'm in agony! He didn't let go and kept chewing my hand! I've had a tetanus and an X-ray and been given antibiotics and been bandaged up and have a sling!!

It's Chico I'm worrying about though as I don't know what to do now. I am having him neutered obviously but that won't be happening until next week. What do I do in the meantime? Do I separate him? Should I handle him? Is this behaviour purely hormonal? Cos he meant business!

5. swatton42

Seperate him from who?

I would try and handle him a little if you can but air on the side of caution obviously. Treat him like you would when you're bonding with a new hamster. How did you pick him up if you don't mind me asking?

It's never happened to me but several people at the rescue have been badly munched by hamsters, even when they were wearing gardening gloves.

6. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

Hey Hun sorry to hear Chico has bitten you so badly.

Hope you hand heals quick, I'm a fainter too!:eek:

Anyway as regards separating I wouldn't bother as long as he's not biting the other two boys. Just check them over for bites to make sure.

As soon as he's been done it will take at least two weeks for his hormones to settle.
    I would handle him very very carefully for now though

7. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

He's a rat.

8. chrisd

chrisd PetForums VIP

I may be mistaken but i thought Chico was a rat?

If so I'd probably not handle him too much just free range him and put your hand for him to sniff (like bonding as said before). That way he will not think you have abandoned him but it gives him less opportunity to nip you.

Also maybe sit on the floor and let him crawl on you, but don't let him too close to your face if he's biting!

9. WelshYorkieLover

Separate him from the other two rats. I picked him up by putting my hand around him as he was asking to come out and didn't want to walk out onto my hand. They had been fighting so I probably shouldn't have picked him up lol.

10. swatton42

Yea I remembered he was a rat just as I sent that last message.

11. Acid

Acid PetForums Member

ouch hun!! just reading about that made me cringe and curl my fingers up! hope youre ok now *hugs*
    the only thing i could think of in the meantime that hasnt been said is just opening the door and letting him make his own way out and back into his cage and just ahndling him while hes out (unless the cage is too high up)

12. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Oh gossh hugs!!!

I'm surprised if this is totally hormonal though. I have been bitten by hormonal rats but seemed more a warning bite.

Do you have any females? Could he have smelt it on you? Is he otherwise OK? You couldn't have touched a sore spot?

If he seems otherwise fine I would put it down to hormones and possibly you scared him...or he had just had a fight...!

I would look into getting him snipped though...and be careful!!

Hope you are OK.

13. WelshYorkieLover

Thanks everyone! I can't believe how painful it is! He's booked in for Wednesday morning!

I think he's seriously pissed off because he's on baytril again! Since I've had him he's been on medication!

14. WelshYorkieLover

Thanks everyone! I can't believe how painful it is! He's booked in for Wednesday morning!

I think he's seriously pissed off because he's on baytril again! Since I've had him he's been on medication!

15. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Ouch sounds nasty! Good luck with the nad fairy!

Do you have any gardening gloves? You could try and gain some confidence back (you and him)

Rat bites hurt so you have my sympathy

16. WelshYorkieLover

No but I will get some. I'm really shocked at how much pain I'm in! It's constant throbbing! He had me in the fleshy parf between my thumb and index finger! So its hurting when I move my fingers too.

17. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

Im just wondering something.... Has his agression been just since you have started struggling with low blood sugars?? Animals are amazingly sensitive to things like this and maybe he is picking up on something?? Prob not but it would be interesting to know.

18. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

I had a nasty bite from a rat once so much so u could see the fat inside and the muscle.
    It still tender now and it's been 4 years!

After he's been done it will take 2 weeks for his hormones to settle down after that he should be a lucky friendly squish and u won't need gloves then.

19. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

Am I right in thinking Chico is around 6 months? If so this is the age where they do start getting hormonal sometimes earlier.

I wouldn't of thought it had anything to do with them sensing low blood sugar levels.
    One of my boys is getting hormonal at the min but it's not too bad.

20. WelshYorkieLover

Well i was diagnosed as diabetic back in sept and I've only had these little guys since November.

It seemed very aggressive. It wasn't just a bite and let go. He was basically chopping down on my hand over and over again and I had to physically pull him off with my other hand. Is this typical hormonal behaviour? Im worried cos I lost consciousness because of it. Shock and low blood sugar = me waking up slumped over the bath with blood everywhere!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice