Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Omg!!!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by lainey29, Mar 24, 2011.

1. lainey29

lainey29 PetForums Newbie

Good afternoon, I'm new to this forum but wanted to find out if anyone has had a similar experience to me.

Ok here goes...

9 years ago I got a rescue cat from the SSPCA, they told me it was a little girl 3 years old and I called her Millie. Recently she's been urinating over the house so this morning I took her to the vet and discovered she has a urinary infection. However I also discovered she is actually a HE!!!! :eek:
    I cannot believe I have thought for 9 years that my cute little girl is in fact a boy. I've never had to take her/him to the vet before and just took the animal centre's word for it when they said she was a girl. I've never had any reason to doubt it.

I'm still in shock and don't think I'll ever get over it. I don't know whether I can get used to saying he and Millie certainly isn't a boys name. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar shock. :confused:

#1 lainey29, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  2. Cyberfyn

Cyberfyn PetForums VIP

Lol. Nope, I think you're on your own there :D Some people can get caught out with tiny kittens as sexing is hard when very small, but it's easy as they get to a few months old. Just love him as you always have. Cat's don't mine what they are called ;)

Ian.

3. KirstyLouise

KirstyLouise PetForums Member

Nope mine were fine from the RSPCA and oh well he is still your loving cat youve always known and will love you just the same :)

4. lainey29

Thanks KirstyLouise and Cyberfyn, you are both spot on. :) Suppose it'll just take a while to get used to.

5. Jansheff

Jansheff PetForums VIP

It's not happened with a cat, but it happened to my grandparents with a budgie! They had what they thought was a female green budgie, she seemed off colour, so was taken to the vet. When they described "her" symptoms, the vet casually said "Well, she's actually a he ... but we won't worry about that right now."

I don't quite understand the rescue centre, as surely they must have checked to see if he/she needed spaying/neutering before rehoming him/her. It sounds like a mix up of records, or the wrong information being given to you, rather than the cat not being sexed correctly.

At least he wasn't a she who surprised you with kittens!! I suppose you could change Millie to Miller or something else close. ;)

#5 Jansheff, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  6. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Nope :)

We found a stray cat which we thought was a male and I left at vets for castration, only to be rang and told it was a female and should they go ahead and spay her????

But we'd only had "him" a few of days ...yes we just booked "him" in regardless of the fact he was a "stray" and might have had an owner :rolleyes:
    Nobody worried about this kind of thing years ago ;)

Not that it would bother me now anyway ;)

7. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

says alot for the sspca doesnt it?

8. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Years ago we had a family cat that I named Toby. 'He' adopted us and actually never went to the vet once in 17 years. I am pretty certain with hindsight that Toby was actually a 'she'....but hey, once they are neutered what's the difference?

9. Katherna

Katherna PetForums Senior

My aunt had a cat that was booked in to be spayed, took it to the vets and dropped it off - picked the cat up after it had been castrated and wondered where the scar was on 'her' side. She had been told it was a girl, vet had even vaccinated it (different vets than the one she had it neutered at) no one had said it wasn't a girl to her luckily it had a 'cat' name like lucky or something similar. Even now years after the event she still laughs about it and checks with the vets if she gets a new cat.
    You could change the cats name to 'billy' not that far away from millie.

10. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

If Johnny Cash knew a 'Boy Named Sue' then it is acceptable to have a 'Boy Named Millie'.

He's lived with it all this time so I'm sure he's not going to develop a complex now. :smile:

Also, when you think of SOME of the names we give our cats, he probably thinks he's done alright in the grand scheme of things. It's not like he's called Arraminta Ermintrude... :D :D

11. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

He doesn't know any different so it won't bother him, he's used to his name so I would leave it be :)

12. lainey29

Thanks everyone for your kind words and advice. We've decided to keep his name as Millie. After all this time it doesn't seem right to call him anything else. :):)

13. Shimacat

Shimacat PetForums Member

So if he's 9 years old and never seen a vet, I assume you've never had him vaccinated at the vets...?

It's good advice to take your pets to a vet once a year. At vaccination booster time, the vet gives them a bit of a 'MOT'- check weight, eyes, teeth, etc and generally pick up on anything that might be going amiss. I'd never leave any of mine longer than a year without a vet check.

14. Just out of interest, isn't a male a female's bits in different areas. As in Chi pups at birth are soooooo tiny but you can easily tell sex by the female having her lady bit between her legs and the male's is up the body a bit, can't miss it. That may sound really silly as I have never had any dealings with cats in my whole life. So just wondering:eek:

15. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

A girl over the road from me was convinced her cat was a girl. I said it looks like a boy to me. She kept wondering why 'she' had never brought her kittens home.

I asked what the vet had said, and the cat had never been...so no injections, no neuturing, nothing.
    A month ago she said to me...you were right she is a he!! I caught him mating a cat th eother night. The cat had then gone into her house and proudly groomed 'his' bits in front of her!! so she saw his little pink pecker.

It took all I had to not to say 'I told you so'!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice