Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

OMG...what do we do?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rottiemum, Jul 20, 2020.

1. rottiemum

rottiemum PetForums VIP

I'm shaking.
    Husband had his friend over with his dog. Out the back.
    Went to open the garage door to let them out front to leave.
    Dougie saw the neighbour's dog and went for it. Lady picked up the dog (Yorkie) and he jumped at her. Not sure if it's a scratch or a bite but he got her hand.
    I was inside working (work from home) and just heard screaming...went outside and hubby was dragging him up the drive.
    These are people that haven't spoken to us in 6 years. They don't like us and we ignore them.
    Fully expecting a visit from either the police or the dog warden.
    Any advice? Other than strangle my husband for letting him out without his lead?:Banghead

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

If your expecting a visit from the police I’d wait a few days before strangling hubby. Have a cup of tea to calm first.

If I were you I would think about how this can never happen again. Identify what you can put in place. I would then take a bunch of flowers or wine to apologise and explain what you will put in place to stop it happening again. You may get the door slammed in your face but at least you have tried.

Same for if police come you can only apologise and identify how you will secure your dog in the future.

Sairy, Leanne77, Picklelily and 7 others like this.
  3. Dog-dogs

Dog-dogs PetForums Member

Did you/ your husband speak with her afterwards, how is she? If it has only just happened why not go around to her house full of apologies? You might not get on, but if you ignore her it'll only escalate.

Sairy, Picklelily, adamantis and 6 others like this.
  4. rottiemum

rottiemum PetForums VIP

When I went out they were headed back into their house. I went up their drive and shouted are you ok...she gave me daggers and yelled NO...And without even looking at me the man slammed the door...
    Now they're away in the car. Either to the police or the hospital...

Dog-dogs likes this.
  5. rottiemum

rottiemum PetForums VIP

It won't do any good with these people. They hate us. But we'll apologise and promise he'll never be unsecured again.
    It was my husband...the old 'I only took my eye off him for a second'...
    :(

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

What horrid experience for all of you :(

Maybe contact Trevor Cooper for some advice tomorrow?

Hopefully, the lady wasn’t badly injured but obviously a big shock and scary experience.

There is quite a lot of info on safepetsuk website, in particular it seems Police can’t just take the dog so make sure you know your rights.

Sairy, Calvine and rottiemum like this.
  7. rottiemum

rottiemum PetForums VIP

Thank you. I think I will contact Trevor in the morning. And I'll check out that website now.

8. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I think all you can do at this stage is apologise. These things do happen it was probably scary for her. When Loki was a puppy two GSD dogs ran at him out of a park barking and snarling I thought they were going to attack. I never swear but the words that came out of my mouth. I was livid I knew where they lived and all the way home I was going to report them. Once I got home I had calmed down though.

Sometimes our initial reaction is out of fear. I would look at maybe adding a baby gate if the police do visit you can show them the steps you have taken.

Sairy, Calvine, LinznMilly and 3 others like this.
  9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I can imagine you’re feeling thoroughly sick right now, but it sounds like he was jumping up for the dog (obviously not good) but not going for her which is better, if that makes sense?

I hope it can be settled amicably.

Sairy, Calvine and rottiemum like this.
  10. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Also I think @Lurcherlad is right they can’t take your dog immediately you may be issued a warning if it got that far Trevor Cooper is amazing you can pay £36 for a 20 minute consultation

Dog-dogs, Lurcherlad and rottiemum like this.
  11. The Wild Bunch

The Wild Bunch Owner of dogs and referee of children

We had a Jack Russell go for our girl, I picked her up and he grabbed my arm. I phoned the dog warden as it wasn't the first time this particular dog had gone for other dogs and he had zero recall. The dog warden managed to track down the owner and issued her a warning, she took her dog to obedience classes and he is now a different dog.

In these situations, the 'victim' tells the dog warden what they want the result to be but they have to provide evidence to say that this is a serious issue.

All I wanted was for the owner to be a little more proactive with training her dog and she did grab the bull by the horns so to speak to remedy his behaviour

12. rottiemum

rottiemum PetForums VIP

I'm sure she was scared. I would have been.
    Not much I can do with a door slammed in my face...but we'll make sure the police or dog warden know we are very sorry.
    It really never happens...he never goes out the garage. Just we had a friend over and to avoid him coming in the house he went through the garage (link-detached house so no other way to the back garden).
    We have an enclosed porch and he can't get to the front door.
    Hubby had a stupid moment. I despair.

13. rottiemum

rottiemum PetForums VIP

Question - does Trevor Cooper cover Scotland?

14. rottiemum

rottiemum PetForums VIP

Thing is, had he noticed he was going for the dog, he could have recalled him. His recall is really good. But he didn't see him go. :Banghead

The Wild Bunch likes this.
  15. crystalwitch

crystalwitch PetForums Member

If they won't talk - or listen - to you, write a letter to her. Obviously you will apologise, and ask if she and her Yorkie are OK. Offer to pay for any medical treatment; if she has been prescribed with painkillers, etc, or if the Yorkie needs veterinary treatment. Ask if there is anything you can do for her - maybe if she is in shock she will be unable or unwilling to drive, so may appreciate some shopping being done. If you feel that she may inform the police, then perhaps you could pre-empt her. Phone them yourself, explain the situation, and say that it has never happened before, and you have/are taking steps to ensure that it will never happen again (with details of what those steps are). Also keep a copy of any letter you do write to her. If you have pet insurance, check to see if it covers this sort of claim, if it becomes necessary.

16. The Wild Bunch

The Wild Bunch Owner of dogs and referee of children

Things happen. All you can do is discuss it with the warden, they're only human and from what our dog warden told me, for a case to progress to any kind of extremity the case has to be built up with lots of evidence and the onus is on your neighbour to build a case against you. In the heat of the moment, she may have irrational feelings and thoughts but she will calm down.

rottiemum likes this.
  17. Silverpaw

Silverpaw PetForums Senior

What an awfull experience for all involved.I do hope you neighbours little Yorkie is ok,it must have been a pretty terrifying ordeal for the poor little thing.
    It's a shame there was already some animosity between you and the neighbours but to be honest,if that happened to my dog, I'd be really cross, regardless of what the relationship was like beforehand.I think the most important thing for me would be to be reassured that it wouldn't happen again,so that I could walk out with my dog without being fearful.Maybe you could find a way of relaying this to your neighbours.It must have been pretty terrifying for them,thank goodness she reacted quickly enough to pick her dog up,or there could have been a very different outcome.
    I hope things settle down ok and that you find a way forward that satisfies all.I think strangling your husband might be a bit drastic but maybe a short spell in the dog house, just to reflect on things,might be worth considering .

rottiemum likes this.
  18. rottiemum

rottiemum PetForums VIP

Yes I'm sure it was scary. To be honest the dog looked fine, not phased. But again could have been shock.
    Thing is, I don't know whether he would have actually hurt it. At the rescue they said he tries to get to dogs but that he was just interested...But they could have lied. And we haven't let him meet any but this friend's dog yet. And he gets on fine with her. He doesn't growl or bark. Not sure what he's thinking, which is why we don't let him go to dogs.
    Just so gutted this has happened.

19. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Oh gosh how upsetting for everyone.

To be honest any dog can get territorial in their own garden. Had they met on a walk things might have been different, but being surprised by a strange dog (and people) in the garden probably got him all over-aroused.

rottiemum likes this.
  20. rottiemum

rottiemum PetForums VIP

Oh yes, he was jumping for the dog. He's so good with people. He loves everyone.
    Never would go for a person.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice