Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

OMG they are here.......

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Pampered pets, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Pampered pets

Pampered pets PetForums Senior

I only picked my buns up on fri.........today i found babies, not sure when they were born as i wasnt expecting them yet and still hoped it was a phantom.

i thought babies were born without fur????? Im not sure what to do now, do i just leave them? do i give mum anyhting extra?

2. Gobaith

Gobaith PetForums VIP

I bet that was a shock :eek:hmy:

I cant really help you much with this matter but im sure someone will be along very soon to help you out :thumbsup:

Good luck

Chloe x

3. alyssa_liss

alyssa_liss PetForums VIP

awwww little buns

4. Hannah and Reece

Hannah and Reece PetForums Newbie

Hiya,

Congrats on the new borns.

I have read that they just need to be checked when they are feeding just to make sure that they are feeding ok. If not then they need to be ''bottle'' feed every 4 hours. I have heard that the best time to check is between 2.30-3am.

Have you tried googling it?

Laura:)

5. Pampered pets

It certainly was a shock, i dont know when they were born as i hadnt checked the bedding box since sat, just been feeding and cleaning the toilet area, she was pulling fur so i wasnt going to throw her bedding away, dont know what made me look tonight.

They have full fur and colourings markings can easily be seen, i thought they were born naked.

6. Pampered pets

omg i cant believe it, id never breed myself and the owner couldnt of coped i dont think, she is still asking if i can take the other two adults.

Im really excited as this will be my only oportunity to have kits so im going to treasure every moment, oh and all will be staying here.

what shoudl i google? excuse me for sounding thick but im just so excited.

How would i know if they were feeding?

7. frags

frags PetForums VIP

hello huni i am a breeder so can try and help you as much as i can....

kits are born fur less but start to gain fur by 4-5 days but only a thin layer.

to check them get mum occupied with fave food and maybe away from the litter make sure you put yr scent thro mums fur or even better rub some of her dried poo into your hands, then to check the kits grab a handful of the fur/nest item and pick a kit up. if there being fed there tums will be a nice smooth appearance if theyre not being fed they will be very wrinkly.
    you need to remove any dead kits as these will rot and pass infection on to the living kits.
    if there not being fed i can advise further but tbh most buns are good mums.

congrats :D

8. Hannah and Reece

Hannah and Reece PetForums Newbie

I think I googled Breeding rabbits and all the information came up.

I think the rabbit I picked up today maybe pregnant, however it will be with her brother which I know isn't very good in breeders terms.

It seems that there is a real shortage of rabbits and guinea pigs at the moment in the pet shops I think i'll post a seperate thread about selling to pet shops as I am looking at breeding rabbits with my 7 year old. It'll give her a bit of pocket money but it should hopefully get her learning about responsibilties.

Laura

9. frags

frags PetForums VIP

laura please please dont sell to pet shops!! they dont consider the homes they are going to or the wellfare of the buns.
    are your buns a full breed?
    you wont earn any money out of breeding and its the wrong way to go into breeding, i actually dont make any money from my kits at selling them for £40 each as i have to pay for jabs food medical care hay straw shavings new pens etc the list goes on. there really isnt any money to be made.

10. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

maybe try these sites? just googled them for you.
    Rabbit Rehome - What's Involved in Breeding Rabbits
    Rabbit Breeding

and I found this info
    The young are called kittens and as with baby cats, their eyes open at about 10 days of age, their ears at about 12 days.

My friend who breeds guineas puts a small bottle of watered down evaporated milk on the hutch for the mum but I dunno if the bun breeder do that? she will need a bit extra food and i think the main thing is to not disturb the nest too much.

*Heidi*

11. frags

frags PetForums VIP

some put a extra bottle of goats milk or lactol in for mum but if the bun is having a fab diet of food and fresh then they shouldnt need it but some need a little extra boost, so yes you are right hun.

at about 1 week they will try escaping the nest lol but you should be able to use the nest material to just put them back.

12. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

FYI, there is NO shortage or rabbits and guinea pigs for petshops. If anything, the supply is heavily outweighing the demand.

Rescue centres are overflowing with in excess of THIRTY THOUSAND unwanted buns and pigs. Profit should never be the motivation behind breeding, and no decent breeder would EVER give their kits to a petshop.

13. Pampered pets

Thanks guys but im confused, these kits are fully furred?????

im not sure what ears opened means, there ears are obviously there lol im nto sure about their eyes i was to shocked to notice.

Ill get some goats milk tomorrow, i do a warehosue run once a month and yesterday was warehouse day and i have changed them over to excel food, they have hay and excel hay with dandilions in but i have only just fed them this tonight so dont know if they will eat it.

They havnt eaten veg so i contacted the owner who said they only eat carrots, i have given them cabbage a few days on the run and they have nibbled on it tonight.

my son collects the really long green grass each night which they wolf down.

Now for another question, someone said to take the sister out before they are born, obviously i didnt expect them so both are still togetehr, they do everything together today before i knew about the kits i was watching them and one dosnt move without the other, they lie side by side they eat at the same time they really do love each other, should i still seperate them?

They did look like they had full round tums, certainly not wrinkly, when i opened the nest they started jumping up in the air like little jumping beans lol

Oh sorry for going on but ill not sleep tonight with excitment.

14. frags

frags PetForums VIP

how are they doing? how many? i bet you didnt sleep all night :D
    i am expecting a litter tonight/tomoro and i know i wont sleep much with the worry as its her 1st litter.

15. umber

umber PetForums VIP

When is the earliest they could have been born? Sounds like they must be at least a few days old if not more if they have fuul fur? Congrats by the way and its goood they have nice full tummys!

Piccies when your ready plssss!

16. Pampered pets

well after another peek today they dont seem to have as much fur as i first thought so they are probably a couple of days old, very confusingly they seem to have the markings of an english?????

There is a little runt so i hope its ok, they seem to be doing well keeping fingers crossed although i am worried its to hot for them.

17. VampiricLust

VampiricLust PetForums Senior

Completely agree.
    Pet shop buns are often back yard breeders offloading unsellable crossbreeds.
    It is not really teaching responsibility either as it is teaching her she can make money out of making defencless babies and giving them away somewhere she can not guarantee where they would end up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice