Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Omg omg omg poor Spike

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by thedogsmother, May 27, 2010.

1. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Spike got her leg trapped somehow under the shelf on the hamster heaven at the weekend and it got slightly cut and was a bit stiff but she was definately using it and shes been improving so much, then yesterday it looked a bit red and it felt colder than the other one so I booked her in to the vets at 4 today, Ive just called her and as usual she came tearing out of the nest but she was walking even worse than yesterday, I got her out and the bottom half of her leg was hanging there, then it came off in my hand,I feel terrible, she really was looking fine till yesterday, Ive rung the vet and he said she will probably be fine and she probably damaged the blood vessels when she trapped it. I am in tears now, why didnt I spot this sooner, Ive had her out every day and checked her leg every day, the cut healed and she was using the leg. The vet said to give her baytril and to pop her down for some pain killers but there obviously is nothing they can do for her leg now. Apparently it isnt that uncommon and they cope well but I feel so bad. Sorry to rant I am just feeling so crap now she trusted me to look after her and I feel Ive let her down badly. I am so mad at Savic as well, the hamster heaven is supposed to be one of the best cages around and the pictures show dwarf hamsters in them and they are obviously not suitable:mad:.

2. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

Oh no :(

I hope she is ok, I'm worried about that shelf now....

3. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

aw thats awful, poor thing :( Dont feel bad mate it wasnt your fault xx

4. thedogsmother

Ive been to the vets, she will probably just learn to get along with three legs apparently, she has had an antibiotic/anti inflamatory injection and he said if she was using it ok till yesterday she might have had a hairline fracture and had another fall. I dont think the shelves are safe for dwarfs, I dont think a syrian could get stuck but Ive taken the shelf out of the dwarfs cage. I emailed Savic so I will wait to see what they have to say about it as it does show dwarfs on their advertising pictures.

5. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

Awww im so sorry to hear about Spike. Unfortunatly there was no indiction that it would do that, so you did the best you could. She seems happy and health and she will get use to having 3 legs. She wasnt in pain or anything if she came bolting out to see you like normal :eek: Its very shocking but you did the best for her. She will be ok :eek:

I would do a warning for this cage though on the forum just as a warning to owners thinking of keeping a dwarf in them.

Hugs xxx

6. thedogsmother

Good Idea I will do that. The vet said she would probably have been in pain when it happened as she had a hairline fracture but they hide pain really well so I wasnt to know, I did think of taking her down on Sunday but she was so shocked I thought I would give her a couple of hours to calm down then after a couple of hours she seemed fine so I thought she was ok.

7. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

Tbh on such a small thing i duno if theres much they can do if you had have taken her down? They might have had to operate or something and that could have gone worse then whats happened... :crying:

Shes a strong little thing by the sounds of it so its going to be fine :eek: x

8. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

aww poor baby.

hope she heels well soon.
    i'm sure she'll be fine and hopping about in no time!:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice