Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

OMG Not Again!! Another Stray!! This Time A Rottie!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by 5rivers79, Jan 4, 2012.

1. 5rivers79

5rivers79 PetForums VIP

Just a short distance from my house my nephew found this beautiful male rottie abandoned in the next door neighbours front garden. Cant believe people would do such a thing to such a lovely and friendly dog.

[​IMG]

Took him to the vets to scan for a microchip and surprise surprise he doesnt have one. His chain collar that was on him has rubbed his hair off his neck! Otherwise he is in great shape. Excellent teeth, vet recons about 1 1/2 years old and weighing a whopping 53kg!

#1 5rivers79, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  2. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Sounds like Lucky has been putting the word about:D What are you going to do with this one?

3. 5rivers79

5rivers79 PetForums VIP

Nephew has put him on doglost and will be putting posters up. But i think they have become attached to each other in the last few days they have been together. Although my nephew has no experience of dogs i think they will be fine if he decides to take him on. After all uncle 5rivers is here to share his wise wisdom :D

4. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

You got a 'lost dog' radar thing going on?? LOL LOL!! :D

He looks quite well-bred from what I can tell in the piccie, looks like hes been well-looked after too, and he is deffo overweight though, lol!

Are you sure he has been dumped and not lost??? :confused:

I think he might be older than 18 months too, from that piccie

5. 5rivers79

5rivers79 PetForums VIP

I thought the same about him being lost. But his chain seems to have been rubbing his throat for a while to have taken hair off and irritate the skin. Also the latch on a gate of the front garden was apparently done too so the dog must have been put in there and then whoever put him in there closed the gate...

I too think he looks a little over weight. How much do you think he should weigh if he really is about two?

6. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I agree, he doesn't look in a state like poor Lucky did. It is possible someone is going frantic looking for this one. Has your nephew also contacted the Dog Warden?

7. 5rivers79

5rivers79 PetForums VIP

He has not contacted dog warden yet in fear of them taking him away and putting him down after 7 days if no one claims him.

8. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Would really need to see more pics of him, standing in profile and over the top of his back and how tall he is to the point of shoulder, all dogs vary, even if they are the same height, not easy to tell from pics, lol! If he is only around 18 months he most probs wont be fully mature anyway so keeping him lean is best.

Aww, I do hope he is lost,and an owner comes forward, he looks lovely!

I dont think the check chain can be construed as a sign of abuse or similar, maybe just plain ignorance. My boy wears a check chain and it does nip his hair somewhat but as he isnt shown I dont really bother - he isnt bald there though!

9. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

he can register to adopt him if no one comes to claim him

wardens and vets are where most people will go if they lose their dog - a shocking number of owners don't know about places like dogslost

10. 5rivers79

5rivers79 PetForums VIP

Yeh and id clip the owner around the ears and ask him why a choke chain has scraped the poor dogs skin off his throat, his skin was actually bleeding where the hair has rubbed off. Some people mean well but have noo idea as to how to look after their dogs! Obviously he is well looked after or he wouldnt be over weight but as we know on here looking after a dog is more than putting a bowl of food out.

11. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Personally after recent episodes with the warden.. I wouldn't bother with them.. They to me come across as seeing it as a way to earn money.. Yes I know they are all different..

Personally I would put a few flyers up at local vets pet shops.. and as you say pop on Dog lost..

Not managed to read the Lucky story yet... Im sure I will get there.. x
    Best of luck with this guy.

12. 5rivers79

5rivers79 PetForums VIP

Yeh iv told him that. Il get on to him to ring the warden asap.

13. momentofmadness

Also those marks around his neck go quite low.. are we sure it isn't a skin irritation that maybe started from a collar?

14. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

And not everyone has the internet, strange as it may seem.

I think perhaps you should ring round the local vets and animal shelters, see if anyone has reported him missing. While I wouldn't leave a chain on a dog, he could have been missing for a while and that is why it has rubbed.

15. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Is that bare skin on his chest/lower neck area or undercoat?? Its kinda hard to be definite about it from the piccie.

16. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Actually - would you mind if I asked you to email the piccie and I can circulate it around my breeder friends, just in case they know they have sold a pup around that age to your area?? I would wanna know if he were bred by me - I can PM you my details.

17. 5rivers79

5rivers79 PetForums VIP

Yeh PM me your details and il email you the stuff once iv taken my terrible two out for a walk lol

Oh and its bare skin on his lower neck. He is also a very itchy dog!

18. momentofmadness

Sounds like he has irritated skin.. he possibly needs a quick visit to the vet.. it may not be the collar after all..

19. Mrs White

Mrs White PetForums Member

Me neither, so I'm off to search it out:thumbup1:

20. missnaomi

missnaomi PetForums VIP

If you contact the dog warden and say that you'll adopt him if nobody comes forward...they wouldn't put him to sleep.

That's how we came to have Ringo...and we rang several times a day to make sure they'd remembered we'd come back for him!!

If you do it via the dog warden, and an owner comes forward after the 7 days - they can't have him back if you've already adopted him!

Naomi

Jenny Olley likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice