Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

OMG my dogs adopted a grebil!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kristy, Jul 11, 2009.

1. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

Just got home to find dora one of our gerbils missing from her cage! my daughter had left the top door open and dora must have climbed along the bars and escaped:confused:,so after searching everywhere for it i went into the kitchen to check on kristy and the pups and who do i find in the whelping box??? DORA!!!!!!
    she must have made her way into the kitchen and Kristy has got hold of her and put her in the box:eek: with the pups. shes covered in dog slobber so i take it kristy has sat with her in her mouth for some time and seems very lifeless,just hoping its just the stress as there are no signs of anything hurt but shes not really moved since i put her back in the cage, hopefully she will come round soon and pick up.
    suppose it was lucky kritsy is used to them or i think i would have come home to worse:eek:

2. Cavalierlover123

Cavalierlover123 PetForums VIP

Oh i hope ur gerbil is ok, she could just be stressed.

3. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

thanks im hoping its just stress as we have two and they have been together all their lives so would hate for something to happen to one of them,did try calling the vet and sort of had the reseptionist(sp) laugh at me down the phone as if to say its only a gerbil and that i should just leave it if theres no signs of injury on it?? i do understand that theres not much you can do but felt like screaming at the woman for her attitude:cursing:, shes not looking too well and still hasnt moved but suppose time will tell.

4. Cavalierlover123

OMG that woman is horrible!! :cursing:
    I dont know what u can do, hopefully the lile gerbil will be fine, it just got a shock id say, it wont be goin for adventures again im sure, it learnt its leason!:)

5. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

oh dear, hope gerbil is ok very soon,

6. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

we have had them just coming upto 4 years and this is the first propper escape,so i would not think she would be doing it again:rolleyes:, they have free run of the room when we are in for an hour or so a day and shes never tried to go into the kitchen,must have thought it was time for an adventure!

7. Cavalierlover123

One day when i came home from school, i went out to my hamsters, one was missing, i looked everywhere and then found her behind the washing machine:rolleyes:! my nephew sometimes opens the cage, even tho ive told him loades of times not too, i found them in the washing basket before too!! they were lucky they weren't under the clothes and washed!!:rolleyes:

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I would suggest that you warm her up, she is likely to have become very cold. Wrap her in a warm towel or fill a plastic bottle with warm water. I would also try syringing some warm glucose water down her. I hope she makes it.

9. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

aww poor gerby :( I hope she's okay!

4 years old is a good age for a gerbil :D

10. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

lol i know, i didnt realise they lived that long,feels like they have been hear forever:D, and the funniest thing is, their both boys if im totally honest;),my daughter named them both Dora, white dora and brown dora!! she wanted girls(but shhhh she is to young to notice the differance) so im so used to calling them she's......lol

11. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

:laugh: that's so funny.... at least you won't get their names mixed up :p hows Dora doing? (the one your dog looked after LOL) :D

12. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

ive just put a heat pad on low heat under the bottom of the tank part(cage is tank at bottom and wire at top) and shes in her bedding with the other one snuggled with her,she doesnt look to good and still hasnt moved but her breathing seems ok and ive held the water bottle down for her but wont take any water.will try her with a syringe and see if that helps. thanks

13. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

shes pretty much the same seems like shes in shock, just lucky my dogs pups who are in the whelping box are too young to notice she was in there,they have only just opened their eyes so the worse they would have done is tried to suckle off her!!! but hate to think what would have happened if they had been a little older and decided to paly with her.:eek:

14. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

My friends dog has a pet cat... no one knows where the cat came from, dog found it when it was a kitten and picked it up and has looked after it ever since, the cat follow him around all the time but it doesn't care for anyone else in the house!

15. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

was about to suggest the same, pets can die from shock.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice