Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Omg my cat!!!!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Turkilou, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Turkilou

Turkilou PetForums Member

marthas kittens are 3 weeks old today and ever since she has had them she has done nothing but walk around crying, i have took her to the vets and everything is fine!! at first i felt sorry for her but now it is getting beyond a joke i dont know what is wrong with her, everything is normal with her she is looking after the kittens ok feeding them and cleaning them. She has clean litter, fresh water and food in the room with her and gets let out the room for freedom (even though she is just wondering around crying), she has toys in there!! i think it might be because she is bored and wants to go out but obviously she cant yet until she has been done!!! which will be in about 3 weeks when she has stopped feeding them, i hope she doesnt do this for the next 3 weeks!!! Has anyone else had a mardy new mummy??? and has anyone got any advice ????

2. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

is she in call by any chance?

3. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Yes, Rilly is crying lots too. I know exactly why as well ... she wants to feed the babies, but they aren't always interested, they are either off exploring or sleeping :D So I have found the best thing to do is get her to lay down and then place the kittens with her. Some will feed, the others will bugger off again (usually to torment me :lol:), but so long as at least one stays for a feed she is quiet for a while.

It should be easier for you, as presumably your kitties aren't mobile just yet? So perhaps just pop her in with the kitties, or get her to lay down near her nest box and bring them out to her. It could be that it's too hot in her nest box for her to feed comfortably for long?

4. Turkilou

no she isnt calling so i dont think she is in heat!!

I put her in there with them but she just jumps straight back out and cries again, even if i just open to door to check on them she is crying at me. I really think its just cos she wants to go out but then when i think about it she isnt going near the door to cry or windows so i do not know what is wrong with her. I am just hoping she calms down soon.

5. billyboysmammy

lol wanted to check before i replied properly (and i assume she has enough food too)...

some girls are just generally more anxious during motherhood. They like to know where mum dad and babies are at all times. When they cant see you all together in the same room, they tend to be very vocal about it.

Now the babies are 3 weeks (forgive me for not remembering your own circumstances), is there any way you can bring them down to be part of the family house now? or are there things preventing this?

If not .... can you temporarily move your living room arrangement to the kitten room, so you spend you time in there with them instead?

Some mums also like to start shouting for their babies to follow them, encouraging them out, and yet others are flipping bonkers and will shout for no good reason! Perhaps she is one of them!

6. Turkilou

thanks for replying, they were born upstairs but fetched downstairs, they are behind the sofa in the living room, she does seem to be more quiet at night thinking about it when i am in there with her, she comes to me for cuddles and quietens down, She is constantly hungry, i am guessing she is just a mardy anxious new mummy then, the kittens are moving about a little but not much and they play with each other too (soooooo cute)

7. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Oh of course! I forgot she is shut away!

Yeah, she needs some of your company a bit/lot more :) BBM has it!

8. billyboysmammy

feed mum as much as she can handle now, at 3 weeks the demans on her body for milk are massive.

You can start to think about when your going to be introducing the kittens to food soon too! I tend to start giving mum her food with the kittens around from about 3 weeks, but dont start weaning properly until 5 weeks ish.

9. Turkilou

aurelia - she isnt shut away all day she does come out for freedom and cuddles she gets my company as much as i can give it her but i have other things to do aswell. if i could sit with her all day i would but its not possible!!

I do feed her everytime she is wanting it, she seems to want LOADS AND LOADS at the minute

10. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

This sounds fairly normal to me, perhaps she is juts hungry - can't you leave some dry food down for her to snack on between meals? It's impossible to overfeed her at this stage.

Liz

11. Turkilou

i never thought of that to be honest i will buy her some later. I hope she stops being a mardy bum soon, i think she will be much happier when she is allowed out again

12. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I didn't mean it like that hon, I'd just forgotten you had her shut away in another room. This is a good thing! but you do have to remember to go in and sit with her as much as you can. If she is coming to you and crying, it might be (apart from being hungry) that she is frustraited at not being able to bring the kits to show you :)

As a guide, my girl started really gorging on food when the kits were 3 weeks. I thought she ate a lot before (doubled, her normal intake) but now she is on about 7 x 85g sachets a day, plus nibbles at a bowl of dry food, and has treats as well! Oh and not forgetting the mouthfuls she keeps gobbling off the kittens plate, the monkey!

13. billyboysmammy

I personally wouldnt be introducing a new food at the moment if its not something they get normally (and that has nothing to do with my feelings about dry food!).

Just up her food intake to let her eat as much as she wants.

14. Turkilou

She gets food when ever she cries for it, which is alot lately bless her, i went in earlier and gave her a cuddle and she seems a little better at the moment, she is still very very protective over them everytime she realises we can see them or if we touch them and she see's me (which i have to to bathe their eyes cos they keep getting sticky) she decides to move them to a different place, but she is only being a good protective mummy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice