Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

OMG mr fox!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by frags, Jul 25, 2009.

1. frags

frags PetForums VIP

i was laying in bed awake at 1am and kept hearing banging noise, so i went to look out my sons window and saw a fox trying his hardest to get into the hutches that the babies are in :eek:
    i run out there hands waving and shooing but it just looked at me :eek: so i got worried that it was going to bite me lol so i woke marc who came and got him away as he just sat there staring at me!!!

the babies were so scared they kept thumping soooo loud even 1 of my neighbours came out.
    put the run inside the shed and put them in there last night but i had no where to put summer so we barracaded the hutch with wood and everything in the garden.

that fox was hungry for a kill and i wasnt taking any chances!!

i really need to get marc a shed so he can get his stuff out of carrot cottage so i can get the hutch in there.

i was so scared and havent slept properly all night.

what makes it worse is that when i go to bed tonight its the 1st annaversary of when my house caught fire so i doubt il sleep anyway so might as well sit outside and watch my babies.

2. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Crikey that must have been scary.:eek: The foxes round here seem really scared of people and you only ever see them at night and they run if they see you. My o.h usually sees one when he takes the dog a walk at night but the fox always runs off especially when it sees the dog and he's only a Bichon.:laugh: I have heard that getting a man to urinate near the hutch works but don't know if it does or not - it might be worth a try.:001_unsure:

3. frags

frags PetForums VIP

i told hubby that and said please pee around the hutch but he said no way as the neighbours were looking out lol

4. Ooh, that must of been scary!!
    I'm glad your babies are OK though xx

5. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Tell him to do it tonight when it goes dark.;) Have you got a dog because they are usually scared of dogs?

Oops yes meant to say - glad your babies are all okay.

6. umber

umber PetForums VIP

Oh No Nasty Mr Fox.... We havnt seen ours since our first scare thank God.... I do think it was a 1 off for us plus we put up all sorts on the fences etc!

That must have been so scary for you Fragyy!

x

7. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

a fox has to be pretty desperate to try to get to pet rabbits, as its a lot off effort to put in, for not a lot of meat. id say its unlikely to happen again if the fox can find easily accessable food else where. but to be safe id make the hutch extra safe or possibly put some scraps out for mr foxy, obviously not in the garden but somewhere nearby where you know the fox goes, that way he wont be desperatly hungry and come back for another go.

do you have one of those security light things. they dont work for long but might scare the fox a couple of times, possibly enough not to try again too soon.

8. umber

umber PetForums VIP

YEs after we had our 1st fox scare we put a security light above the hutch aswell as a few other fox proofing things and I do think it works as we have never seen him again!

9. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Now hunting is banned they have no fear at all. My friend had 3 of her chickens killed last week and 2 maimed. She caught the fox stalking her cairn terrier dog that we bred, shes normally a confident in your face dog but the fox actually scared her, he was really going to go for her :eek: my friends husband ran out with his gun to stop it and missed it but it did then retreat. My partners friends only a couple of days after caught the fox chasing one of their chickens she ran out and grabbed the chicken and the fox tried to grab it out of her arms!!!!! They are really quite dangerous at the moment so be very careful frags. They'll kill anything they can get hold of and wipe out everything.

10. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Sorry but you are completely wrong he will be back. Frags you need to keep those babies in your placehouse or find another shed on concrete thats the only way to keep them safe, no hutch is fox proof, ive know them go through two layers of 'fox proof' wire.

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Do you know anyone with a dog that could give you some pee? I'll send you some of my dogs if you like.

It may be that you will have to call in pest control to humanely kill the fox. Its not nice, and i think it should be a last resort, but once a fox knows where a food source is, they can become quite determined. He's obviously not fearful of people, and that can be a problem when trying to deter them.

If you dont want it killed, some companies will live trap the fox and relocate it. This is what id personally do, as i dont agree with killing something for behaving naturally, but you have to protect your buns as they cant get away if he gets into their housing.

12. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

how horrible, hope u managed to sleep in the end frags, its been a tough week for u.
    If I see cats watching miffy in her run I spray them with water they never come back but not sure if this would work for foxes

13. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Completly agree.it will be back once its knows its there thats it!!

Its not hard work for a fox..They are very determined animals and wont give up..
    They also just kill for the pleasure of it!!

I wouldnt want you to have the fox killed..But then again saying that these are your pets and if it does become a big problem you are going to need to sort it!!

If you ring a local wildlife hospital they could help you or put you in contact with some that will come and remove the fox and release to another area!!!

14. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

my bad, i assumed we was talking about urban foxes.

the problem with killing a fox is that another one will take over its territory, you best bet is to try to deter it, and make everthing fox proof. use thin metal bars instead of wire if possible. If you an scare this one off enough then you wont have to deal with another one which could potentially be worse. not sure if you could maybe hook a sensor or something to an alarm, so if the fox does come back the noise might scare it off. particually if its a gun shot.

15. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

I dont like the thought of anything dying or being killed but foxes are very destructive and killing this one may whether we like it or not solve the problem, this is purely my opinion i know alot of people love foxes and i have to say they are a lovely looking animal but they are ruthless killers that now have no predators or anything to keep them nervous and weary of humans. Seeing as the dog fox at my friend was going to have a go at her terrier i dont think dog pee will work particulary well. Some foxes are more human friendly than others, if this one goes you may not have a problem again. I think your best bet is to lock them up safe in a shed/playhouse.

16. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

there was an old guy back home who had a fox as a pet with his dog, i remember him bringing it into school.

theres only one thing for it......give me all your rabbits lol

17. frags

frags PetForums VIP

I Live In A High Fox Populated Area

18. frags

frags PetForums VIP

oops went to take caps off and hit enter lol
    anyway as said there are loads of foxes here so no point calling anyone.
    im going to put in run in shed tonight and summer in dog cage in shed.
    i have my 6 week old niece tonight so wont sleep anyway lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice