Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

OMG in shock

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by clairescunny55, May 12, 2010.

1. clairescunny55

clairescunny55 PetForums Member

after loosing two hamsters. we brought a little girl home on saturday. I just went to feed her and there are lots of wriggly babies in her bed! please help!! need as much info asap!

got a quick pic!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 clairescunny55, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  2. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

Oh no! Hopefully someone will be along with advice for you, all I know is don't touch the babies at all and give mum lots of protein like egg/babyfood :eek:

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

First thing is dont panic, leave her totally alone, there is a high chance she will reject or dispose of the babies but that is not your fault. She will need higher protein in her diet as she is feeding babies now, if you can get to a pet shop get some egg food, it will be in the bird section but its great for nursing and baby rodents too. You should leave the cage totally alone apart from quietly changing food and water until the babies are leaving the nest, are fully covered in fur and their eyes are open. So for now just get a bit more protein into her food and leave her well alone.

4. Myth

Myth PetForums Member

Just to save me typing lot of stuff twice here you go...

Mythic Hams - Breeding

If you need anymore help or info feel free to give a yell.
    Best of luck. x

5. thedogsmother

Myth that is an excellent link, wish Id seen it when Spike had her babies, although I did cope it was probably more luck than good judgement.

6. clairescunny55

they've just wandered out the nest and theres at least 10 !

7. thedogsmother

Seriously leave mum to put them back in the nest, if you touch them you are really risking mum eating them, as a total last resort you could pop them back in with a spoon that has been rubbed in mums bedding but even that is seriously risky. Dont worry about finding them homes, once people see those gorgeous babies on screen you will have loads of offers of homes. I had two litters of mice recently and all but the three I chose to keep found wonderful homes.

8. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

10!!!! :scared:

Bloody hell!!

Like the others have said, dont touch them and you should be fine. She may cull a couple of them as its a large litter and she may not be able to cope, but thats natural x

9. clairescunny55

I didnt put them back in the nest, just took a quick piccy without touching cage

10. thedogsmother

Omg they are tiny little pink gummy bears, you cant belive that anything that tiny can grow up into a proper hamster can you.

11. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

A word of advice....

Dont let Dora sex them for you ;) :lol:

12. thedogsmother

:eek: :eek: :eek: I cant belive it, why does nobody trust me to sex their rodents, I dont make that many mistakes do I? Err dont answer that :lol:. Have you got over the shock now Claire?

13. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Errrrr

YES!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :prrr:

14. piggybaker

piggybaker PetForums VIP

OH wow pease keep us posted, would love to see them grow up,,:) How cute was that little pink blob,,,

15. clairescunny55

yes i think so, very excited now, but wont want to part with them :( will keep updating with photos x

16. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I've been in the same situation as you, but it happened a few years back now.
    You've been given some great advice, so no need for me to repeat it.

My hamster had 10 babies and they all survived.

17. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

I had the same thing a few years back. There was about 10 when I first look, but only 6 made it. I just left her cage alone, just feed her really and I gave her mushed up boiled egg? I was told that was a good idea. When the babies were old enough to be on solid food they had bread soaked in milk? Well wether that was right or not, I had 6 very happy little babies, 2 I kept, 2 I homed and 2 went back to the shop that I got the mum from cos I had no-where else for them. I had to have 2 more cages anyway cos the babies had to be seperated, at I think 3-4 weeks?

*Heidi*

18. Shamen

Shamen Guest

aw fingers crossed they make it:) the main thing now is just try not to disturb her in any way, and keep giving her high protein food like egg,chicken and tofu. Good luck x

i would also complain to where ever you got her from, i just hope the rest of the females in the litter arnt pregnant:frown:

19. thedogsmother

If you got her from Pets @ Home they should provide you with cages, food etc if you go in and complain.

20. myzoo

myzoo PetForums Senior

the same happened to me with my ratty a few weeks ago my babies are just getting weaned and will soon be ready to find new homes i hope all your little jelly babies thrive they should do fine if you follow everybodys advice but dont worry if you lose a few it is natural if mum feels she cant cope she may kill a few but try not to worry you have all you need to know from the links and advice people have posted for you i know you will find nice homes for them a website i used to find homes for two of my babies was preloved.co.uk it has a section for adoption and sale and people can send you messages through the website i think if its allowed but not sure you could also post on the forums that you are looking for homes for babie hamsters once they are almost ready to leave thats if your not keeping them all LOL 10 cages hey you could open a petting zoo :laugh:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice