Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

OMG Chasing Foxes!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sallyanne, Jul 4, 2009.

1. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Argh! These dogs of mine!

O/H took out Tyler last night quite late,took him down the lake and let him offlead, No problems as his recall has always been spot on for 3 years until last night.
    There was a fox which wasn't very far away,he picked up the scent,fox turned and ran once it realised Tyler was there,Tyler spotted it running and gave chase,O/H called and called him back but he ignored him and carried on chasing after the fox :eek:
    O/H had to run after him,at one point he was out of sight,he ran out of the park,accross a busy duel carriageway (thankfully it was quiet because of the time)and was halfway up the road heading towards the docks when O/H managed to get him to stop.:eek:
    He didn't tell him off for bolting for obvious reasons,however he felt like it.I was annoyed with Tyler for ignoring O/H but he said that it was perfectly normal for him to chase after the fox after picking up the scent.

O/H said it happened so quickly and it was so unexpected he didn't have chance to put him back onlead before he bolted.
    He has never been a problem offlead and has never chased anything before,he has never bothered with other offlead dogs, cats in the garden etc.
    So why did he give chase last night ?
    I'm not even sure what he would have done had he caught the fox because he doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body.

So obviously this leaves us with little faith in his recall,so how do I deal with it ?

2. rona

rona Guest

I know a lot of dogs who are perfectly trained that just cannot resist foxes.
    I haven't a clue why, I assume there is something enticing about their scent

3. Dundee

Dundee Banned

All my training is breed specific so I'm not sure how well this will work with a bully.

He has just been exposed to the ultimate distraction - chasing a wild animal.

Having gundogs they are not allowed to chase anything so I do start young, but quite simply I would actively seek them out and with dog onlead I would make him sit and wait and reward him for it. It's more along the lines of teaching them to ignore rather than trying to increase the level of recall (if you already have a good recall).

I would add that foxes really are devils in disguise for dogs ;). We have so many where I live - in a city with lots of green areas so urban foxes are abundant - and I've actually seen them appear to taunt my dogs when I've taken them out last thing at night for a wee. One night one was sitting in the road and mine saw it - it took a couple of paces to chase before I stopped him and the fox ran. I called him back to me, and walked in the opposite direction only to find the fox had stopped and was following us - every time I turned round he was there. When we turned to walk home and off he went again - only round the corner though as I saw him sitting there out the window ;)

4. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

Awhhh bless
    Same as dundee our gundogs would not chase it. They are trained to flush retrieve and point.
    Although Bess was bred to hunt foxes, and when she sees one i gotta get my running shoes on and inflate my lungs! :rolleyes: Luckily she has never caught one :eek:

1 person likes this.
  5. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Thanks for your comments :)

His recall has always been spot on,we have never had any issues with him at all,obviously we need to stop the chase before it begins,Dundee your ideas are great,I will definatly give it a go.He responds well to food, and loves his balls so maybe they would be a good distraction,not sure how much they would distract him from the scent chasing of a fox though,so I think we will just try it onlead to start with,then a training line and build up from there.

It's really unsettled us to be honest and SBT's generally have no sense of danger and any road sense whatsoever.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice