Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ollie went off lead again today VIDEOS

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SEVEN_PETS, Jan 13, 2012.

1. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Hey

I took him back to the same place I let him off lead last time, because I felt confident about him being off lead there. So we started the walk, and he was being very good. I kept him on the flexi to assess if I should let him off or not. We then went down a different path, and he caught a scent. Cue dog running around with nose sniffing, ignoring my recalls, so I just walked on. This really worried me, and I was really questioning whether I should just give it all up, and just keep him on the flexi.

I then got some nice recalls out of him, and then let him off. :D He was brillant. Sometimes he went too far ahead, so I turned around and walked away silently, and he looked up and came running back. :D So he got a treat and lots of praise for doing that. I did that a few times, just to make sure he was concentrating. I put the lead on a few times, so that having a lead on doesn't equal end of walk. But he was only on for about a minute, and was off lead for the vast majority of the walk (about 1 hour). :D :thumbup:

He met a nice lab x who he said hello to, and he even tried to play with him (which is so cute as he rarely plays with dogs because he's on lead). The lab wasn't interested but Ollie didn't pursue him, he just came back and we carried on with the walk. He also saw some border collies in the distance, and he didn't try running over to them. :thumbup: He also saw some people walking around, and he didn't run over to them either. :thumbup: He did see some horses in another field, when I did have to say "Leave" a few times, but he did come away from them and carry on with the walk.

He even started running down a different path, and I shouted after him, and he turned and came back. :) He also looked like he got the scent of something, and I called him. It looked like he hadn't responded to me, but he slowly turned back and came to me. :D Had to put the lead back on because I ran out of treats. :w00t:

Anyway here are the videos: (Click on photos) :)
    The first two are of me walking away from him, and him coming back:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this one is just a video of him trotting around:
    [​IMG]

#1 SEVEN_PETS, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
    theevos5 likes this.
  2. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

What a good boy :)

3. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

A big fat huge WELL DONE to you (and Ollie of course :))

Dober likes this.
  4. rottie

rottie PetForums Senior

Very nice. You should be very proud :thumbup1:

5. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Well done! Onwards and upwards... I'd just practice as much as you can.... you'll get there! :) Claire

The more often Ollie gets to go off-lead, the less of a "novelty" it will be and it will become more natural to him to stay with you.

6. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

he definitely enjoyed himself!

7. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Lovely vids, he enjoyed that. You are getting brave:D

8. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

:w00t::w00t: Well done.

The second video is brilliant. If ollie could talk i imagine him saying " I'm watching you lady.... Oi where are you going with my treats!"

Well done well done well done!

9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

WELL DONE. Let's hope things carry on as well.

10. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Well done to you and Ollie; small steps and before you know it you'll wonder what you were ever afraid of :thumbup1:.

11. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

Good girl keep it up the more he earns your trust the easier it will get for you to let him off. I'm amazed, I really am, I thought he'd always be an on lead dog. I cannot express how happy I am to have been proven wrong :D

12. Werehorse

Werehorse PetForums VIP

Gosh, he's super calm off lead! He does look like he's enjoying himself. Well done - you are making really good progress with him. :)

13. missnaomi

missnaomi PetForums VIP

Well done!! xx

14. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

thank you. :)

Thank you all for your lovely comments. I am so proud of Ollie and of myself. I'm finally battling my demons and winning. :D :thumbup:

I think he will always be a part off lead and part on lead dog. There are some places which are probably always going to be too exciting for him, but there are also plenty of places which he should be fine in, so that's good.

Dogless likes this.
  15. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

when we do our off lead walks, Bella is often on lead for a minute or so when a pass a section that I think may be too exciting for her. As she has grown older the on lead times on our off lead walks get less and less. But I don't think it is a bad think at all for Ollie to be partly on lead, partly off lead.

16. Lil Doglets

Lil Doglets PetForums VIP

You inspired me to try Charlie completely offlead today! :D (after a year 1/2 of being a chicken and sticking to the long line :eek:) and she was absolutely perfect! stayed really close to me most of the time and came every time i called :)
    And then something really freaky happened, there was a lady playing fetch with Ollie's twin! and as i passed them, she called to her dog and it's name was Ollie too!!! :eek: how weird was that when it was you and your dog that made me give it a go and then i passed someone with the same dog AND the same name! :D it must of been a sign hehe

I'm still going to be careful though and put her back onlead in certain places, some of the fields have fencing all the way round so are pretty safe.

But i just wanted to say thank you seven_pets for giving me that bit of extra courage i needed to give it a go :eek: :D

SEVEN_PETS likes this.
  17. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

awww you're very welcome. that's lovely. and how freaky that the dog was called Ollie too. :D

18. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

So if I change Dex's name to Ollie he will become the perfect dog off lead? LOL :)

19. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

Brilliant, well done to you firstly for being brave and for Ollie cos he really looked like he behaved perfectly! The start of a new beginning!

20. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

I think this actually shows that the time and effort put into training whilst on a long line does pay off, and perhaps some are too quick to have their dogs offlead without instilling the training first.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice