Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Oldie support thread

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Westie Mum, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Just wondering how our oldies are getting on.

Lucy is 14 and is in quite good health at the moment. She’s pain med free right now although still having a monthly laser treatment round her back, back legs which helps keep her moving, although she’s less inclined to be off running nowadays, prefers a gentle stroll or a carry :) plus obviously her joint supplements. We’ve been using Yumove plus recently in the morning with a bit of joint aid added in the evening.

Her separation/general anxiety has hit an all time high recently so we’ve been trying various things with the Vet and the help of my step son who’s been doggy sitting while I’m at work (part time 4 mornings a week). The Vet says it’s quite common with oldies and the onset to congenitve disfunction. She’s on Aktivait, 2 Dorset’s skullcap & valerian, Bach Rescue Remedy (all added to food twice a day) and DAP plug in ...... since adding the Rescue Remedy, she’s been the most happy and settled she’s been in a very long time. I actually cried the first time I watch her on camera just take herself onto the back of the sofa and sleep while I was at work :)

Otherwise she’s fit and healthy, just had her bloods done as was worried all these supplements/herbal things would be overloading her, but everything’s fine and relieved for now, that we don’t have to go down the more sedative type of meds from the vets.

Poppy and Oscar are throughly enjoying the new happy Lucy aswell, instead of keeping away from Mrs Grumpy :)

We are away in Norfolk this week. Having a Leisurely day in the garden as both exhausted from all the decorating at home! F90C1012-9F71-4FCD-9614-595DC045A809.jpeg

And photo my daughter sent me the other week of Lucy chillin :)

DD51ABBC-0954-4B43-B31E-7E64766A11EE.jpeg

So ......how’s everyone else’s getting on ?

2. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

Freddie didn't bark at the door the other day, and I had to go and check he wasn't dead :Bag :Hilarious
    He's nearly 12 and a half, I know terriers are meant to live forever, but I honestly never thought he would make it this far.
    Overall, he's amazing, he hasn't had a fit for a few years :D his back legs get a bit stiff sometimes, but he has a devils claw supplement which has really helped. He also has Senior Aid in his food.
    Puzzle toys seem to increase his anxiety if they're too complicated, so he has a lickimat in the evenings, and when we have to leave him alone, he has some open puzzle bowls, along with the lickimat, and that seems to really help him stay calm :)

The only thing I'm worried about is that he's got a two little lumps :( one on his neck and one on his chest. He's got his booster on Thursday so will see what the vet thinks. I'm basically certain they're just fatty lumps.
    He's still very active, good muscle tone, his appetite and thirst haven't changed, no dramatic changes in his weight, he doesn't react if I touch them, so I'm confident they don't hurt, because he's not known for being stoic ;), no discharge or weird poo, etc, etc.
    Hopefully just worrying over nothing :).
    [​IMG]

3. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

I've had Fletcher, my 10.5 year old Rottie to the vet this week for a prescription check up. Vet said his heart, teeth and gums were in fine shape, did that test on the back paws where they turn it out and wait for the dog to adjust itself, after the third time of correcting it almost instantly, I think she got the message that his brain was fine and everything was working ticketyboo...

He has arthritis so takes a few tablets a few times a day, but we have him on a drug called Vivitonin and that has made a world of difference to his outlook... he appears to be more alert and willing to do more... so all's good here thankfully.

Picture of the boy himself...

untitled-1.jpg

4. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Tango's SA definitely isn't any better, it's got to the point where I can't even go upstairs without her crying till I come back ! I have to time showers for when OH is here to sit with her - we'll draw a veil over the fact that he was away for 3 days last week !:oops::eek:
    I will most definitely try the Rescue Remedy. She's on Aktivait, You-move and You-Digest, I give her a Feelwells night time biscuit before we go out and luckily she seems ok while we're out, no mess or destructive behaviour and no complaints from the neighbours. We've started giving the girls more freedom while we're out, they have the run of the kitchen , utility room and living room and their greeting when we get home is certainly calmer.
    Tango gets very excited about walks but after 10-20 minutes she's had enough and turns for home. She doesn't appear to have any pain and is very bouncy first thing in the morning.

FAW56, westie~ma, Twiggy and 3 others like this.
  5. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Bracken is now 11.6 and still fairly active bit stiff around the hip area so only short walks now oldie.jpg

6. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Well what a handsome wee boy he is !! His eyes look pretty clear in that photo too so that’s one less thing for you to worry about :) Lucy has quite advanced nuclear sclerosis.

I know what you mean about not getting your usual greeting, it’s heart stopping until you see they are ok. My last oldie used to love to worry me like that !

Hopefully his trip to the vets will give you peace of mind. Let us know how he gets on :)

Oh wow, another handsome fella !

Good to hear everything is good in Fletcher’s world :)

And where’s beautiful Tango’s pic ???

OH was away for 3 days :Jawdrop oh girls, I’m so sorry you had to contend with stinky Mummy :Wideyed

Glad she’s doing well otherwise, nice to hear there’s no more lumps and bumps :)

Ohhhh look at that hair, Beautiful :)

Have you tried all the difference joint supplements to see if one is better than the other ?

Bobbie and SusieRainbow like this.
  7. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Lovely to hear the oldies updates. So glad Lucy is feeling less grumpy @Westie Mum and enjoying ruling the roost still :)

I literally have Missy on only her daily joint supplement. She seems stiff on occasions but not hugely and still gets a turn of speed at the beach or in the fields. But on the whole she is a lot more sedate and mellow. Her eyesight continues to fail her - she will miss treats directly in front of her and choose to sniff them out instead and she has had a couple of walking into closed door moments :( She also has accidents indoors too. Not enough to warrant incontinence meds currently as it's not everyday, but they are definitely more frequent.

Ty at 12 years is his usual lazy self. Lumpy as hell! But the few I've had aspirated have been fatty lumps so I'm happy to monitor the rest as of the moment. One thing we have had some issues with is his eating, not his lack of appetite or anything, but rather the fact he seems to have difficulty swallowing sometimes which results in him standing stock still and his neck tightening and almost swelling. I always think the worst since Missy's choking incident so it puts the fear of god into me when he has these episodes but I've recently started soaking his kibble before feeding and *touch wood* we've not had another episode in a good couple of weeks.

FAW56, Twiggy, Kimmikins and 2 others like this.
  8. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Nice to hear Missy and Ty are both doing well, although never thought about Ty being an oldie until you said he was 12 :Jawdrop Missy is 15 and a half ish isn’t she ?

All things considered it sounds like Missy is still doing really well. Shame about the accidents but as long as it’s not stressing her out, we can always clean puddles up :) any more wondering off/confused moments while your out ? Lucy still likes to wonder off with older people :rolleyes: she either thinks they walk less or will forget they’ve already fed her and she’ll get more :Hilarious

Urghhh lumps and bumps :( hopefully all just fatty ! Sounds like soaking the kibble is a plan :) madam stopped eating kibble a few years ago, just point blank refused it, gimme the meat, I know we have plenty :rolleyes:

Any recent photos to share ?

9. Dogloverlou

Yeah Ty has always seemed older than his years, but now he's actually old he doesn't really seem it. I would consider him around 9ish maybe if I didn't know him. Missy is 15 1/2, yes.

She would likely have more wandering off/confused moments but our walks are mostly isolated so it's rare we bump into other people. Lucy sounds like a girl after Missy's heart :D You must try EVERYONE for food just in case.

My two are more food orientated than they ever was in their younger years. Both greedy and always looking for more.

Only have this pic to hand at the mo. My sister took it about a week ago :)
    [​IMG]

10. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

She’s looking fab ! Is she the oldest dog on PF now ? I can’t think of anyone with one older.

All 3 of mine are greedy pigs lol

Dogloverlou likes this.
  11. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

Lovely to see such lovely pictures of our oldies :)

Westie Mum likes this.
  12. Brunohasmyheart

Brunohasmyheart PetForums Newbie

Hello, new here ☺ just wanted to share with you all my old boy Bruno who is 13. He's in good health except for being a little stiff,which he takes joint care supplements. He has slowed down a little but still enjoys his little walks

Attached Files:

Owned by a dog, FAW56, Bebe1 and 5 others like this.
  13. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Yes Westie mum he is on Yumove plus which has helped

Westie Mum likes this.
  14. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

awww, nice to hear all the oldies are doing well!:)
    Just starting to think of my oldest 2 in this catagory as they are 10 this year. Still doing ok pretty good though, although Hannah has to have shorter walks as she aggravates her LP on long walks and makes her hip hurt. I give her and Adam Yumove supplements to help their joints (have to add Heidi to this next year as she will be 10 then!:Wideyed).
    Im saving at the moment to take Adam in for an MOT at the vets....Im almost sure that he will need a dental just due to his age. Hannah doesnt need an MOT, what with tons of investigations 2 years ago for her LP and a tooth abcess last year she's had pretty much everything looked at!LOL:rolleyes:

15. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

Scrumpy Jack is back to have more blood tests tomorrow. He’s been on a lower dose of his steroids for nearly two months now, and the last BG tests showed his levels had dropped slightly. Tomorrow is a full blood panel as he’s due his quarterly ones.

He’s deaf as a doorpost, but still seems to sometimes hear things...whether he’s picking up on something else at the time, whether it’s a frequency thing I’m not sure. He’s coping perfectly fine in his little silent world, and still barking at anybody he sees dare walk past his window!

He hasn’t been out walking very often. It’s much too warm for him right now; he hasn’t been able to cope with heat since he was diagnosed and I haven’t had many evenings free to take him out. This week I do though, so we will go out for some pottering and mooching.

I can’t believe my little man is 13 :( Old age is such a b*tch and I keep finding myself getting horrible thoughts about losing him. I really don’t know what I’ll do...

FAW56, Bobbie and Westie Mum like this.
  16. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Another handsome boy :) long may his enjoyment continue !

I hope Adam’s MOT goes well :)

Dentals are so expensive aren’t they :( Poppy had one when she was only two ..... she has the worst teeth! She’s going to need another soon I think because she’s got a loose tooth that’s not coming out and another one that’s growing on a funny angle so think she needs 2 taking out and will get the rest cleaned at the same time, as it makes sense too.

Lucy at 14 has the most sparkly white teeth yet she won’t let me clean them and rarely eats anything hard :rolleyes:

Oh :( I hope the blood tests go well. Worst case does it mean higher steroids or something else ?

Don’t feel bad if he doesn’t get out. Lucy chooses whether she goes out in the week and more often than not she doesn’t want too so I don’t force her anymore. The weekends we take her, even if it means we have to carry her ! Yesterday she managed a few 15/20 min trots along the beach with being carried/snuggled by OH in between.

I remember feeling that way with my last oldie :( All we can do is make the most of the time we get to have them in our lives and make extra special memories :)

Let me know how the blood tests go, you’ll be in my thoughts :Kiss

SusieRainbow and Kimmikins like this.
  17. Oenoke

Oenoke PetForums VIP

Skye is 12 years old, slowing, but still enjoys flyball and allsorts/veterans agility.
    [​IMG]

18. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Lovely to see an oldie still so active :)

Bobbie, westie~ma and Oenoke like this.
  19. Dogloverlou

I'm not sure. I think so? She was certainly the oldest at Secret Santa.

Westie Mum likes this.
  20. Maria_1986

Maria_1986 Crazy Guinea Pig Lady

Chevy is now 13 and is starting to really show her age. Her hearing and eyesight are going, her CCD is worsening and with that has come anxiety around going out the house, especially in the dark. We have added a second dog to the household to help give her confidence after noticing that her anxiety was better when she had a canine bodyguard.

She is still doing bits of Scentwork and training, she still loves to work and take part in classes. Her arthritis is worsening and she isn't as mobile as she was, still costing me a small fortune in vets bills with various meds and we have just reached out last resort pain med.

I'm planning a summer of sunbathing, nice picnics and some fun training bits for her as this will probably be her last one:(

FAW56 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice