Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

oldest age to breed a bitch

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by jardine, Jun 3, 2010.

1. jardine

jardine PetForums Member

My german shepherd was bred when she was 2, she has been having a phantom pregnancy, and recent bout of diarreoha, all health tests from the vet came back clear as i felt something else was wrong with her, she is now just 6, and has allways been healthy, is she to old to let her have another litter ?

2. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

i think you will find the kc recommend either 6 litters in the lifetime of a bitch or 8 years of age :rolleyes:

3. cav

cav PetForums VIP

I would say if she is fit and healthy and had all the tests she needs for the breed she should be ok:)
    Did she have any problems the first time?

4. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

The oldest age you can register a litter with the KC from a bitch is 7, without having to get KC permission first. They will register pups from bitches of 8 if they have had a previous litter. (but you have to obtain the permission prior to mating)

Having said that, I would want a bitch to be in tip top condition (and health tested) at any age before mating, but moreso as they get older because obviously the risks they will tire / have problems could increase.

I ummed and aahed about taking a final litter from my girl who is 7 (and hurtles and throws herself around like an 8 week old puppy - so much so I am beginning to wonder if there is reverse adolescence when they hit veteran :lol:) - but decided against it, I guess I am lucky I have her daughters and a grand-daughter at home from which I can keep / improve my lines.

==============

I will say I do know of people who seemed to encounter additional complications from older bitches who had undergone a gap of some 3/4 years between their first and second litters - whether this is down to age, timing or just sheer coincidence, I really don't know.

5. jardine

jardine PetForums Member

No she was a brilliant mum and had 7 healthy pups and we didnt even loose a nights sleep with her, i think she is very broody after jess had her pups.

6. miti999

miti999 PetForums Senior

Is there an age limit on stud dogs? Just curious!

7. moboyd

moboyd PetForums VIP

I bred my girl when she was 2 and then again when she was just 5, the first litter she breezed through, the 2nd was full of complications ending in a c section and the loss of 3 pups I personlly wouldnt breed from a large breed dog, with a big gap inbetween litters over the age of 5 now.

mo

8. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

Unless there was a very good reason, the bitch was very healthy I wouldn't, particularly with such a large gap between. If she is suffering phantoms and given her age and risk from pyo, I would opt to get her spayed, particularly if her phantom is the reason you are thinking of breeding her again. Phantoms are not uncommon and actually what nature intended rather than her getting broody because of your other bitch's litter, which is human one not a canine one. I'm not sure how serious the diarrhea was, and if it is something she suffers from a lot, but an odd bout of the runs would not necessarily indicate poor health or put me off having a litter - more likely (in the case of mine) that they've eaten something they shouldn't have ;), although it does depend how severe and whether it's an ongoing problem.

9. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Not if they are still willing, able and can deliver the good ;) with the relaxing of AI rules, we are even seeing occasional offspring from dogs that haven't been with us now for the last 20 years or so now.

10. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I personally wouldn't want a litter after such a large gap. If she had a litter at 2 and at 4 then I would say yes, providing she was fit and in hard condition then she would be fine, but not this type of gap I'm afraid.

11. jardine

jardine PetForums Member

Thank-you all for your advice, bella was bred the first time because she had a phanton pregnancy and has never had one since until now, that was the only reason we discussed it, but we were unsure anyway , Shes not due in season yet for a while anyway, if we are still in to minds then i will speak to the vet and see what he says.

12. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

I would never breed a bitch as a cure for a phantom pregnancy - if a bitch suffers badly from phantoms get her spayed. Who advised you to breed because of a phantom? Goodness, if every bitch that had a phantom was bred from we'd be even more overrun in rescue than we already are!

I know it's some years ago, so too late now, but for anyone else reading, this is an old wives tale and breeding is NOT the way to deal with phantoms.

13. moboyd

moboyd PetForums VIP

This is a good way of highliting the old wifes tale that a bitch that has phantoms should be bred from and having a litter will stop phantoms, as everyone can see in Jardine's experience this is not fact.

mo

14. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

tbo many years ago i mated a bitch at 2 and then again at 6 nearly 7. the first litter she had like shelling peas second litter she had to have a ceasar,so from my experiences i wouldn't .

15. leashedForLife

i dunno about the KC-rules, but AKC rules are as follows:
    more specifically, they strongly discourage breeding of bitches past 6-YO, and some breed-clubs have their own rules,
    which supercede the AKCs general guidlines.

there have been recent studies that indicate sperm-quality deteriorate after 6-YO in studs as well; motility, normalcy
    (double-headed, double-tailed, spinners...), and fertility are all affected.
    fertility = number of viable sperm per volume of ejaculate; not whether or not the dog has sired a litter,
    or is willing to mount a bitch.

if anyone wants a link, i will hunt one up; just as in humans, where older men are more likely to sire children with
    behavioral, developmental, etc, problems, older-dogs are no longer as desirable as sires.

taking SPERM from the dog when young for cold-storage, even before neutering the dog, is one way to hedge bets;
    U can have the young-sperm from the old-dog, even if he never sired a litter in life.

cheers,
    --- terry

16. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

:eek: :scared: :eek:

17. leashedForLife

hey, tanya! :--)

um - U did see my note below that, yes?
    most breeders never breed a bitch over 6-YO, meaning not even 7, let alone in double-digits.
    the AKC does not *recommend* breeding past 6-YO; they deny registrations on litters as specified.

do i think its adequate? No - but i am not on their board-of-directors. :eek:
    all my best,
    --- terry

18. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Yeah I saw it don't worry lol, it just really shocked me that they would register a litter from a dam that age.
    I don't think its necessary for a stud to have an upperage limit, providing they are in good form still, but naturally I'd want a sperm check before using a 12yr old on a bitch of mine especially if I was paying a big stud fee. They don't have the same stress on the body as a bitch does, provided they aren't in incredibly popular demand (like every week) but that would be irresponsible on the side of the stud owner, thats when we end up with single stud problems in the breed and the gene pool gets smaller.

19. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

Crikey - the AKC makes the Kennel Club look positively beneficial in comparison - and I think even their rules allow mating too early and too late, and I would like to see the total number of litters allowed cut too!

An introduction to dog breeding - The Kennel Club

the Kennel Club will not accept an application to register a litter when:

a) The bitch has already whelped six litters, or

b) The bitch was under a year old at the date of mating, or

c) The bitch has already reached the age of eight years at the date of whelping, or

d) Offspring of any mating between father and daughter, mother and son or brother and sister, save in exceptional circumstance, for scientifically proven welfare reasons.

N.B. Relief from the restriction C may be considered provided the dam has previously whelped at least one other registered litter, and a written application is made prior to mating and supported by veterinary evidence confirming the suitability of the bitch involved in the proposed whelping.

20. leashedForLife

Sharon Vanderlip, D.V.M, Veterinarian | Veterinary Reproductive Medicine & Surgery | Author of pet care books
    more about the sire:
    Duc.html

i do not know his age at the time of breeding - the entries on the vet-site are not dated.
    i take that back - he was born June 1999 and would have sired the litter above in mid-Feb of 2008.
    cheers,
    --- terry

#20 leashedForLife, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice