UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
compared to some of the older films i think the newer films in cinemas are a load of crap. there are a few good ones like lotr, avengers etc, but the older films are better.
so what is everyones favourite or favourites?
mine would be:
calamity jane
seven brides for seven brothers
on moonlight bay
dirty dancing

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
Sherlock Holmes....... but MUST be Basil Rathbone, MUST NOT have any motor cars (hansom cabs only)

There have been some good recent films

Independence day
Enemy of the state
usual suspects
The Others
The Da Vinci Code

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
compared to some of the older films i think the newer films in cinemas are a load of crap. there are a few good ones like lotr, avengers etc, but the older films are better.
mine would be:
calamity jane
on moonlight bay
dirty dancing
I love the old Hollywood musicals, I think I know seven brides , calamity jane and white christmas almost of by heart

·
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
compared to the older films though the ammount of newer films that grab your attention and make you want to watch them are fewer. all these rom coms that come out that are rubbush, only a few have been any good. not saying all newer films are rubbish, but most are, especially compared with the older films.

i used to watch the tv show of sherlock holmes with jeremy brett, he is the only one i could watch. although i do like the newer films of sherlock holmes as the actors are good and are very funny.

im watching calamity jane now, and singing along. i have lost count of the times in my life i have watched this film, how many of the newer films can you say that about?

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
My favourite older films are

The Alien films (number 3 wasn't too good though)
The first Rambo
Terminator and Terminator 2
The gate
Robocop (the 1st one)
The Omen films
The Birds

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Lavender hill mob

Passport to pimlico

Kind hearts and corenets

the ladykillers ( orginal version)

Old war films ..In which we serve, the dam busters ect No american glory stuff.. Carve her name with pride

Si Fi war of the worlds the bodysnatchers ect
Basil Rathbone = the master...

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
Dambusters (and STILL with Guy Gibsons dog "name unchanged")
633 squadron
Battle of Britain (susan hampshire in stockings and sussy's... ) :devil:
Bridge over the river Kwai
The Great Escape
The Heroes of Telemark
The Guns of Navarone
The Italian Job

G

·
Favorite film probably ORLANDO, fond of Room With A View with Helena Bonham Carter,

The old war films The Great Escape, Dam Busters, Carve Her Name With Pride, etc ., except I feel so distressed for them. It's just on 1 am in Oz, and I'm staying up to watch Fred and Ginger, starting 1 15 a m.

I really only like 30sish musicals. Love AL BOWLLY singing.

OH! The genius of Monsieur Hulot's (spelling) Holiday and all Whatsies work. (Senior Moment)

The 39 Steps b&w 2 versions, can't remember lead actors names. Was one Kenneth More?

Very fond of a little Oz film, THE DISH

Henry V, Laurence Olivier

Adored THe Wizard of Oz, Mary Poppins and Fantasia, The Incredible Journey, Thomasina, as childrens classics and the modern little film Millions. Frivolous but sweet.

Oh! Withnail and I

Oh dear. Just realising how long Fred and Ginger have been dead, how ancient these films must seem to young adults, as I felt about the Boer War!!!

The Sting

I'll remember 100 when I post this.

Oh Did you know Violette Szabo's daughter has writtan her mother's bio and is working on her father's?

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
I grew up with the old musicals (living with my nan lol), Seven brides for seven brothers and the King and I are probably my favourites.
I also love the old kids films like Mary Poppins, Chitty chitty bang bang, and The Wizard of Oz.

I've recently re-watched the original St Trinians movies too - the first and best one (Belles of St Trinians) was released in 54!!

I do like some new stuff, but tbh I'm not really into car chases and explosions or American teenagers which rules out most things these days.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Wuthering Heights .....(original)
Great Expectations
Gigi
The King and I ... (yul brynner)
Mutiny On The Bounty
Swallows and Amazons

Househens ... I to like "The Dish " in fact a lot of ozzy films are really quite good they just dont get the recognition they deserve :D

G

·
In no sort of order...

First Blood
Platoon
Smokey & The Bandit
Terminator
Hot Shots

...and others that have been mentioned already...theres more i'm sure...
:)

·
Banned
19,241 Posts
mine would be:
calamity jane
on moonlight bay
dirty dancing
I love Calamity Jane. In fact I love every film that Doris Day ever made, from the romantic comedies with Rock Hudson to the Hitchcock thrillers like Midnight Lace and The man who knew too much.

The Great Escape is one of my favourite films and I am the proud owner of a boxed set of all the Rogers and Astaire films on DVD.

And we must never forget Gone with the Wind.

One of my favourites is the David Niven wartime film where he crashes and survives, then an angel comes along and tells him he should have been called to heaven but he got missed. Please someone tell me the title before I go nuts!

G

·
my favorites are;

king and i
it's a wonderful life
rebel without a cause
on the waterfront
fort apache bronx
psycho
midnight cowboy
my fair lady
cape fear (1962 version)
doctor zhivago

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.