Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Older dog keeps attacking new dog.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Lottie Hickman, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Lottie Hickman

Lottie Hickman PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    I am hoping that someone can help bring harmony back into my home. I have a 9 yr old JRT x Papillon a 2 yr old JRT and we have just re homed a 4 yr old JRT x Chihuahua.

I work at a re homing center and we had the JRT X Chihuahua brought in to us as hand over as he had bitten his owner. He was very nervous aggressive and shut down and would bite everyone that went in to him and wouldn't let anyone handle. Because of this we couldn't put him up for re homing. I spent a lot of one-on-one time with him and he eventually started to open up and turned in to a friendly little dog with me. My boss agreed that I could take him home as long as I was responsible about who he meet and he was muzzled when out walking.

He has now been with me for 3 weeks and has been a little star only a few nips but all in all a happy little dog, with me and my partner. The problem that we have is that my 9 yr old Jack x Papillon hates him. She will follow him around the house staring at him until he starts to grumble at her ( i think the only reason he does this is because he's scared and reacts ) but the the more she stares the more he grumbles she will then start trying to fight with him. They do not actually bit each other and he tries to get away from her but we do have to split them and it is very upsetting for everyone. I feel soon it will escalate in to much worse that just noise and the fight are now happening 2 to 3 times a night.

We have tried to do so positive training with her when he is in the room but she just will not let it drop. She will not settle and will not get in her bed or relax when he is in the same room and will just fixate and follow him round until he reacts, then she will attack. I think it all steams from when I first brought him back and he was on the sofa and nipped me while I was trying to get a sock off him. She then went for him and they had their first fight.

Can anyone please offer any advice it is getting to the point where one has to be in a crate while the other is out. I do not want to have to take him back and I don't want either dog to be unhappy. My 2 yr old JRT is very laid back and him and the new dog get along brilliantly but i think the fight between the other two is starting to unsettle him as well.

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Why do you not want to take him back? What is the most important; the health and welfare of your existing two dogs or this one?

I think you need to be honest with yourself and consider whether or not your home is the best one for HIM and if your dogs deserve to feel so unsettled?

lullabydream, Lurcherlad and ouesi like this.
  3. Joanne 77

Joanne 77 PetForums Newbie

Hi, have you tried walking altogether ? It's great for bonding.

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Difficult though it is, I don't believe you should keep him.

It isn't fair to your older bitch or him, as he must feel afraid all the time.

He isn't a fit in your home.

5. slab

slab PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Just having a look through and thought I might post something. I'm afraid I would have to agree with the others, and that your home, through no fault of your own, is not right for the new dog. Reading between the lines it sounds like you may already be putting your weight behind the new dog to the detriment of the old. When they first had a fight your old dog was probably sticking up for you, her family, against the new dog.
    You can seriously affect the status quo by backing your new dog against the old when the old is only doing what it thinks is right. I have seen things like this get well out of hand, resulting in serious problems or injuries, or worse, before something is done; namely rehome the new dog to another home if you can. Make sure though the new home is one that has a good experienced dog person in it, and no other dogs (preferably)
    I appreciate whole heatedly your good intentions but sadly things do not always work out. Please don't let things go too far before doing something. The new dog might well get some problems develop of his own if left in this situation.

Having said all that if things suddenly improve dramatically then all might (for a little while) be good, but from what you have said I doubt it.

Again I applaud your good intentions, best of luck Paul.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I wonder if you are able to deal with this issue effectively too?

Taking a sock off a known biter whilst he is on the sofa was bound to end in a bite - this could probably have been avoided in the first place if handled differently. If he's had "a few nips" then he is over threshold.

I would get a good behaviourist to assess the whole situation and to help you if you want to keep the dog and restore harmony in the house.

In the meantime, keep the two segregated for both their benefits before a bad fight happens.

lullabydream likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice