Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

older dog hates new puppy.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by MarleysMumma12, Nov 5, 2012.

1. MarleysMumma12

MarleysMumma12 PetForums Newbie

I wonder if anyone could advise me? I have just got a 2 month old puppy who has been with us since last Thursday. I am waiting to move house and currently living with my Mum who has a 6 year old terrier. The puppy will go up to the terrier who will then growl and run away but today she actually leaped off of the sofa and told him off by pining him down and making a lot of noise but he did not yelp so I dont think she hurt him, the puppy is not learning and just continues to leap at her. What should I do and is this normal behaviour?

Thanks
    Laura :001_smile:

2. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

This is perfectly normal.

Keep an eye and be ready to step in if necessary though and dont leave them alone together.

Make sure that the older dog can escape the persistent pup if he needs to ;)

3. Luz

Luz PetForums VIP

It is what mum would do to a pup that stepped out of line. (pup's mum not mine!;) ) The above advice is sound. Unfortunately when Daisy tried to snap at Abi, Abi pinned her to the floor!

4. Beth17

Beth17 PetForums VIP

Yes as Rainybow said all normal just keep an eye on them and with a bit of time and the pup learning boundaries they should start to get along.

5. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

LOL, Nella has already worked out that Oscar is all mouth and no trousers and is just waiting til she is big enough to just sit on his grumpy head :D Won't be long :p

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Its normal, A savvy older dog soon works out a puppy without being given any boundaries and taught manners will become a constant pain. They usually either totally ignore a pup when they arrive and wont give them the time of day until the pups got the message and then they usually allow more access even intigating play and then finishing it at their instigation not the pups. Or they will growl to tell the pup to give them space and teach them some manners. if the growlings not heeded, they may then show teeth, if that doesnt work they will often air snap, and if the pups still persistent, then they may lunge chase them off, pin them down or even give them a nip. Best scenario is that pup takes the hint learns his manners then when he has, will be allowed access and play. Some pups though are persistent little devils and wont take the hint. In which case if he really wont take a hint, and you can see the older dogs had enough then I personally step in, and give them a break to calm down and help the older dog out if needs be. As long as she isnt getting really over the top agressive, and as long as he isnt frightened or worried, I wouldnt worry and just step in if you have too. Might be an idea at the moment though not to leave them unsupervised until they are integrated and settle better.

7. Baileys Blind

Baileys Blind PetForums Senior

My Kiara 6yr old GSD xBC growled and grumbled at my new pup every time she went near her for about 2 months when she first came :rolleyes:

They're best friends now but the pup definatley knows when to stop if she gets too excited or bouncy :crazy: as she's a working cocker it doesn't take long for her to go OTT and a tiny grumble from Kiara now does the 'calm down if you want to play with me' trick :D Kiara's taught her loads about doggy etiquette and most of it happened during those grumbles and growls. She's only once pinned her down and really told her off and that was when Lily pushed her luck and refused to listen to the warnings whilst trying her best to pinch Kiara's chew stick :nono: She only tried it once though :blink:

8. StephanieJoanne

StephanieJoanne PetForums Junior

i had the same problem with my american bullys. niro has always been a mummys boy and is never seen off my lap but when i got my pup ely we introduced them in the park and let them play and all was good. we walked them home together and still no problem we went inside and aaaahhhh all hell broke loose. he turned into some crazy hell dog and started snarling and diving at her so i kept them seperate and every 5 mins i brought her in and made him sit and when he sat there and left her alone i gave him a treat, this went on for about 4 days and they could finally be in a room together but he didnt want much to do with her...or me!!! i think he was annoyed with me about it but anyway.......basically after a week of growls and almost fights all of a sudden he just suddenly loved her and now they are joined at the hip :) its totally normal behavior but just keep an eye on whats going on :) xx

9. MarleysMumma12

Thank-you for all the advice and tips I was just really worried that they would never get along. The older dog seems to be getting better as the days go on, I let them both in the garden together today and my pup had now his voice and will now yap at her to play rather than jumping in her face, I think they will be fine but until I can trust her 100% I will not leave them alone together. He is only 2 months old at the moment but as soon as he is fully immunized and old enough we will take them for walks together.

:thumbup1:

Laura XXX

10. BoredomBusters

BoredomBusters PetForums VIP

If all the humans are allowing the puppy to keep bothering the terrier, then the terrier has no choice but to deal with it herself. You should be preventing your puppy from making a nuisance of himself, otherwise you can't complain about how the terrier is handling things.

Would you allow a 2 year old child to keep disrupting an adult's activities or rest?

11. Megan345

Megan345 PetForums VIP

I don't think the OP was complaining, just asking advice. It isn't feasible for people to always be around to step in, the dogs do need to learn how to get along by themselves.

12. BoredomBusters

BoredomBusters PetForums VIP

Maybe my phrasing wasn't quite right! But teaching the terrier she has to get physical to get any peace isn't my idea of dogs learning how to get along with each other.

13. MarleysMumma12

We don't let him pester her, they were in the garden together as she seems more relaxed in a more open space and she followed us out. When he pesters her I take him away he also has a crate that he will go into so she can have her own space. If he is really getting on her nerves I will take him into another room to play with him. The terrier is coming round to him slowly and is improving every day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice