Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Older dog and puppy intro problems

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Carly83, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Carly83

Carly83 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone new on here,
    I’ve got a shar pei cross female 8 years old and just had a 9 week old puppy. The puppy is boisterous and keeps jumping and biting my older dog, after a few days she’s now snapping and aggressive, even if the pup walks past she growls and starts a fight (which pup willing joins in). I’ve have made she she gets time alone, she’s getting as much if not more attention than before and is sticking to her normal routine. I don’t know what to do to smooth the waters over. Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Try and stop the puppy annoying your older dog and carefully supervise all interaction between them. It is very normal for resident dogs to be aggressive towards, or frightened of (or a bit of both) a new puppy, especially when the puppy expects the older dog to be a replacement playmate for his litter siblings.

Sarah H and O2.0 like this.
  3. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I'm a grandma and would be annoyed and snappy if I had a strange toddler in my house, constantly jumping all over me and pestering me to play with him. Your older dog is no different so as already been advised supervise them when together and make sure your older dog has a safe place to relax without being pestered by the puppy

Sarah H and O2.0 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice