Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Older dog and Puppy - Help !!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by beaglepup123, Jan 2, 2012.

1. beaglepup123

beaglepup123 PetForums Newbie

we have just introduced an 8wk old Beagle puppy into our home. We already had a 9 year old Cairn Terrier. Both are Bitches.
    i know its only been a week and these things take time to work out, but we are look for some advice from people who have experienced this before
    The older dog is gettting even more attention than usual and a few extra walks each day to help her relax but she seems so tense and nervous when the pup is awake (very clingy)
    when the little one is sleeping she often walks over has a sniff, waggin tail, and jumps on sofa to watch over her. but when awake she seems very nervous. they have had the odd moment, nose to nose, sniffing etc and waggy tails, noramlly when pup is sleepy.
    we understand that the pup just wants to play and is full of energy, but when the pup tries to get close the bigger one gets growly, and tries to escape. we obviously want them both to be friends.
    any advice would be very welcome - thanks

2. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

As long as your dog doesnt have any aggression issues towards other dogs, I wouldnt worry too much about a little growling from her. Chances are she's just teaching the puppy some manners and the puppy is learning her place in the group from the older dog. This is very important at teaching a puppy how to interact with other dogs and also about bite inhibition.

I personally would make sure your older dog has a place to go if she wants to get away from the puppy and I would remove toys and things which the older dog may be possessive of.

I would also start up OB training with your pup, a good 'Leave' command can help if your puppy is getting too much for your older dog.

Good luck :)

3. BullyMolly

BullyMolly PetForums Senior

Not long brought a new pup into home, and i have a 5 year old girl already. At first she was very wary of new pup, and constantly tried to pin him, even hump him!!!! Give it more time and certainly time out from each other. They are great together now and play really well :D I still give them time out from each other and one on one time. Just bear with it and it will all be worth it:D

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I wouldnt start to panic yet. Some adults deal with pups a bit different to others. One thing they usually have in common though, is usually they work out pretty quickly if the pup isnt given some form of boudaries and taught some manners, it will likely be a non stop relentless pain and make their life a misery.

Totally ignoring the pup at first is normal and not entertaining it in the slightest. Others will growl instantly, maybe even lunge and chase pup off and even give it a little nip.

Usually then once pup has got the message that pushy in the face behaviour isnt going to work, the older dog then starts to entertain the pup but on their own terms and will still control the play.

It could be that your older girl is not entirely confident and sure exactly what she should be doing, she sort of knows what she needs to do, but at the same time is wary of the pup. As long as the pup isnt bothered doesnt seem afraid and is still interested in your older dog I wouldnt worry. Likewise as long as your old girl is not outrightly hostile or trying to harm the pup I wouldnt worry.

Just give them supervised time only at the moment so you can observe. If anytime the pup does start to not listen to your older girl and begins to make her life a misery at times or gets too much, then you need to step in too and help her out, just in case she isnt a strong enough personality to do it herself.
    Other then that give it time. There is nothing you have said that personally I would find a worry at the moment.

5. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

Welcome to the site.

Even if the pup is too young to go on proper walks yet you can still take them together on mock walks around the garden on leads. The process will be natural for the older dog to patrol her territory and the younger dog will learn from it as will the older dog understand that the pup is a family member.

Also feeding together letting the pup see that you give food to the older dog (small amount in a bowl) then a pup portion meal. Does not need to a be a full meal for the big dog, just a snack but something at the times you are feeding the pup during her 3-4 mealtimes.

These shared activities re-enforces the family relationship between the dogs more then just sniffing at each other during the day. :thumbup1:

6. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Agree with the others, just want to add: make sure that your family and all your visitors greet the older dog first. The last thing you want is people making a beeline for the puppy, as people will, and forgetting that they always used to greet the older dog. The same with treats and stuff; make sure your older dog gets his first.

It won't be forever, just till they settle.

Manoy Moneelil likes this.
  7. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Its very common for this to happen when you introduce a new puppy to an older dog.

Your older dog doesn't know what to make of the puppy and is probably frightened of the little stranger.

As long as you supervise them together it will get better over the coming weeks as they get to know each other and the puppy starts to mature a bit.

8. CKD1

CKD1 PetForums Junior

I wouldn't worry, like others have said the older dog is probably teaching the other dog some manners.

I have a 8 month pup, a 6 year old and an 11 year old and it took them a few weeks to figure things out. The older still have their moments when they don't want to play anymore and will tell the pup off. I make sure the older dogs have a place to go where they can get some peace.

Just give it some time and try not to re-enforce any nervous behaviour :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice