Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Older cats and cat flaps.

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Ruth M., Feb 13, 2018.

1. Ruth M.

Ruth M. PetForums Newbie

My two cats don't seem to be able to grasp how to use cat flap. So we have to tape it open, which is very drafty in winter. Can i get a flap which will open when they approach,rather than when its pushed.
    All sergestions gratefully received

2. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum PetForums VIP

Ruth M. likes this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Thank you for the link - what a brilliant idea! :) I would love one for my cats! Not at that huge price though. :eek: I suppose the price will come down gradually or there will eventually be copycat versions that are cheaper. Not as cheap as the Sureflap though I suppose.

@Ruth M - have you got a microchip cat flap? All the cats need to do is sit in front of the flap for the scanner to read their microchip, then the lock is released with quite a loud 'click'. It is only at that point the door can be pushed open and with my cats they have learnt to associate the clicking noise with the door being easy to push open. So it is just like the 'clicker training' that some people do with their cats to train them. Cats are excellent at making associations between things, which is why it works well

4. LJC675

LJC675 PetForums VIP

Can you not do some cat flap training with them to get them use to it. With my 2 I started training them before they were old enough to go out. I fitted the cat flap into some sturdy cardboard and then wedged it in a doorway. With it inside you can take training gradually and not get freezing. Start tempting them through with it fully open and then gradually lower, using treats as temptation. My sureflap one required quite a shove to 'break' the hold of a the magnet, so I removed the magnet to start so that it was easier, then when they had the hand of it out it back in.

You can make it so that you can just lift the cardboard away so you can use the doorway easily, or make it lower so you can step over it (mind you your cats are likely to jump over it if it's too low)

Spend some time each day actually training them to go through and then when they can do it you can use the one in the wall, again using training treats 1st.

I presume your flap is fitted at the moment, but typically they can easily be unscrewed. Failing that you may just need to stick a coat on and spend some time each day doing some training with them.

5. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

And it looks like you have to put collars on the animals too for it open automatically which I don't like for cats.

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Me neither :( I missed that - thanx for pointing it out. I'd assumed it was operated with the microchip embedded in each cat.

7. Ruth M.

Ruth M. PetForums Newbie

Wow just what I want but as you say much too expensive. Thank you.

8. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

It really doesn't seem justifiable does it? I can only assume that they are recouping some of their R&D in the early days of sales.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice