Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

older cat spraying

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by loumoo, May 19, 2010.

1. loumoo

loumoo PetForums Junior

I have 3 cats:

One older spayed female of 12 years, seemingly healthy, uses tray and maybe a bit podgy. Had her with one of her litter, she sadly got run over in 2002. One our own ( with my son) and then we adopted a ginger tom. He settled in well, apart from cat fights. He sadly got killed by a dog next door ( who has been dealt with by police dangerous dog department.

I got 2 no 7 month old kittens, whom are now 8 months by my guess.. Been a month and some. Usual behaviour at first, still get poo's behind the tv. Both been in and out of season ( vets appointment end of the month).

My older cat chases and hisses at them both, only the bigger of the two kittens is more assertive. She still runs off , now my older cat today sprayed behind my tv, where the other kittens had accidents or situations ..hehe.

Is the spraying normal for my older spayed cat, a sign of territorial behaviour or her getting old/ill?

2. Tje

Tje Banned

It could be, but the first thing I would rule out is your older cat covering the scent of the kittens where they pooped behind the telly… it could just be something as simple as… your older cat smells the kittens “went” there, and feels the need to cover their scent up with his (that’s dead natural, also whata they do in litter trays). Clean any “kitten accident” areas thoroughly with a biological soap powder. Then rinse well with clean water a few times. If it’s carpeted, wait until it is dry then sprinkle baking soda into the spot, brush it in, and vacuum it up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice