Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Older cat scared of kitten with cone?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Kitkat2121, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Kitkat2121

Kitkat2121 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I’m hoping someone can help or share some advice.

We have an 8 month old male kitten (who we’ve had since 3 months old) who has been neutered 2 weeks ago and returned home with a small cone. As soon as our 9 year old female cat saw him she was completely spooked by him, hissing and just really scared. We kept them separate to allow the kitten to recover and allow our cat to relax and assumed the collar freaked her out and that things would return to normal once the collar was removed.

since then, our cat has been desperate to get out of the house, constantly meowing, looking for escape routes and seeming distressed. Before we would say She was an 80% an indoor cat but would have an occasional 30 min wander in the day but always wanted to return and loves being indoors. Now she won’t come inside unless we carry her in or lure her with food but even then once she’s in she’s meowing and desperate to get back out. We feel horrible as she sounds distressed but with the cold weather and her wanting to stay outside overnight we’re not sure what we are best to do?

When she is outside she always seems to just stay to the front garden and doesn’t go far however, we’d find her sitting by the door as if she wants in but then will run off as soon as we open the door.

Has anyone experienced anything similar before or has any advice on how we can best help our cats? Thank you in advance!

2. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

For a neutered male the cone isn't really necessary - my boys usually initially have a quick root around in the pom-pom department and then forget all about it !

But the cone plus he smells "different" now is what is probably causing your elder cat to freak out - she just doesn't recognise him. I'd suggest going back to basics - giving the kitten a "safe" room with everything he needs and let your older cat have the run of the house. You could also try scent swapping - take a soft cloth and rub it over the older cat (especially around her cheeks) and then rub the same cloth over the kitten and then do it reverse.

I'm tagging @chillminx to see if she has any other ideas.

chillminx and Kitkat2121 like this.
  3. Kitkat2121

Thank you for getting back to me @Bertie'sMum ! Sorry I should of mentioned that our kitten had retained testicle so he had two incisions which is why we were advised to keep the cone on.
    I’ll follow your advice, we did exactly that at the beginning with our kitten having the safe room and our cat having the whole house so I will definitely try that again to help our cat x

Bertie'sMum likes this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Kitkat2121 - I can't really add anything to Bertie'sMum's excellent advice. I do think you will need to separate the kitten and your adult cat until the kitten has had the cone removed.

The kitten may possibly be more comfortable wearing a surgical recovery suit instead of a cone.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LIANZIMAU-...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

However In the same way as you are needing to remove the cone several times a day to let the kitten groom himself, so you would need remove the recovery suit several times a day so the kitten can groom himself (under your supervision)

Possibly your adult cat may find the kitten less frightening and odd, if he is wearing a recovery suit, not a cone, as his outline (wth the suit) would be more or less the same as normal. But I still think you should separate the two cats for now, until your adult cat has calmed down and is happy to be back indoors.

Bertie'sMum and Kitkat2121 like this.
  5. Kitkat2121

Thank you @chillminx for your reply! Luckily our kitten has been signed off by the vets now so we no longer need cone to be worn, but we will go with both of your advice to keep them apart and see how they get on, thank you again x

Bertie'sMum and chillminx like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice