UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if anyone can offer some advice.

We recently got a kitten from a rescue home, he is 9wks old. When we went to see him he was undergoing treatment for a cold/flu as he had a runny nose and sneezes and we were advised not to collect him until he had finished his antibiotics on Tuesday. We waited until tuesday and when we collected him we were told that it hadn't completely cleared so would need to go back to the vet for a check up. In hindsight, we should have maybe left him with the foster carer until he was at full health but we took him anyway. We then went to the vet who has put him on another course of antibiotics.

Now for the predicament, we already have a 5year old female cat who is regularly immunised against cat flu. I have called my vet (the kitten is registered under a different vet) who has said there is always a risk that my older cat may catch a cold/flu as there are different strains it said that we should definitely try to introduce them. I called the kittens vet who told me that if my older cat has been immunised then she should be ok. So all in all I am feeling a little bit confused :S

I would really like some advise from other cat owners on how they would approach. we are currently trying to introduce our older cat to the kitten slowly and supervised but as well as juggling this, I am also now not sure if they should be interacting at all until the kitten has fully recovered. My older cat has sneezed once since the kitten has been in our home but nothing more. I know this is a little long winded but any advice is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Chances are your existing cat has already been exposed to any virus the kitten is shedding already so hopefully the fact she is vaccinated & older will protect her from comeing down with anything to bad.

Our youngest was realy ill when he was about 6 months old with a kind of flu even though he is vaccinated, the rest were ok except for a bit of sneezing the eldest wa worse but he no longer has a booster & is still going strong :)

Good luck & enjoy your new paws :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.