old tyme bulldog skin allergies

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by ness123, Jan 20, 2018.

1. ness123

ness123 PetForums Newbie

Hiya new to this ,really in need for any help with my babies skin allergies,I have a all white 1yr old bulldog who from around 5 mths has had terrible itchy enflammed skin in her groin feet and eyes ,I've had her to the vet over and over and have been told its seasonal allergies ,have been giving antibiotics stroids antinflamatory injections and a week after treatment comes bk ,I've tried lots of creams sprays changes food ,to no avil ,I feel so desperate and useless to help her ,they now wanting her to have a allergy test which is £100 plus and said It mite not give answers I've already paid £500 and would appreciate any ideas

2. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Feline Medicine Nerd

Has she had any samples taken for Demodex mites and Malassezia (yeasts)?

That's the first step before running allergy panels.

MiffyMoo and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. ness123

ness123 PetForums Newbie

Yes she had skin scrappings and bull tests done ,all clear they thought it was the trees in the garden so I fenced an area off with no plants ,still happend

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Piriton can help some dogs - not sure about doses though.

You say you’ve tried different foods but it can take a while for a change to happen - did you give each food long enough?

Also consider using a novel protein as some dogs are affected by chicken or the other usual meats in commercial food.

What foods did you try?

Chappie tinned original has been found to work with some dogs - it’s fish and rice based, I believe.

Treats also need to be included in the equation and most commercial ones aren’t great so make your own maybe?

Have you used special shampoos? Even wiping down regularly with a damp cloth (especially after walks,etc.) to remove allergens from coat/paws can help reduce effects.

Check environmental factors indoors too - washing powder, air fresheners, perfumes, etc.

magpie and MiffyMoo like this.
  5. ness123

ness123 PetForums Newbie

The vet recomend antiallergy dry food which we tried for a few months and told us to stay away from beef,she is on pirition now to try ease the itch ,we bath her in a shampoo for sensative skin too.ive been reading all about a raw diet for bulldogs that is suposes to be good for skin conditions ,any one feed there dog this ,I'm at aloss

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

7. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

My girl is allergic to everything under the sun, but mainly dust and storage mites. Even though she’s on Apoquel, if she eats kibble she immediately starts scratching her ears really badly. I now have her on a raw diet and make sure I dust and hoover every day, and I also spray Indorex on carpets and soft furnishings once a month.

I would totally recommend getting an allergy test, as life with constant itching and pain is horrible for them

thatbullieboy and magpie like this.
  8. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

I would agree that the allergy testing is a good idea, I found it very helpful with my dog. The problem with changing her food is that you don't know what it is she is allergic to at the moment. My dog for example can't have chicken, turkey, rabbit or salmon, or rice, potato or any grains. Avoiding beef like you have been advised wouldn't have done any good for him as he is actually fine with beef.

For environmental allergies he was given atopica, which worked for him and then after about a year I managed to wean him off it, and his skin is still great now.

9. thatbullieboy

thatbullieboy PetForums Newbie

Oh the woes of the White Dog!
    We have a very handsome WHITE 17mth old EBT who has also had a bit of the ol' inflamation, chewing paws, pink as a piglet, and most recently, a rotten yeast infection in his ear. Long-story-short, we've changed his diet to home cooked (human very lean minced beef/veg/bit of rice and added multi vits, calcium, salmon/hempseed oil, and the all-important pre&probiotics.
    His dry food was full of spuds, which as a starch carb can convert into sugar, giving the yeast a field day to grow.
    Since the diet change, his skin/coat are great, his gunky ear is better but we do have the occasional flare up. This might be when he's constantly scrounging for grub (think the kibble and amount of water he drank used to bloat and fill him up more) and we give in and give him a handful of kibble. Took carrots away this week as he had a bit of a dodgy ear.
    I wonder if you girlie might benefit from some pre-probiotics? We even give him a slug of Kefir (a bit like Yakult, but a big bottle in the 'foreign foods' fridge section at S'burys cost 90p - others are £2.50). We both have it to get rid of the bottle!
    TBH, I see that others are recommending an allergy test. That's our next route. I can't see the point of giving my dog meds to treat symptoms when we don't know the cause! He's just been routinely given Apoquel, which we're not really wanting him to. We're not playing God with his health but it seems to be the go-to Drug at the moment, and if we can keep him off meds, all the better.
    We know that certain foods don't agree with him (chicken & lamb fly out of him wrapped in a mucus 'condom' - he won't be getting them again!) but its all the seasonal and environmental stuff.
    Good luck to you if you go the raw diet route. Read a lot of positives. Oh yeah, just noticed someone mentions Chappie. All Vets seem to recommend it, espeically after bouts of gut problems. Maybe give that a go (the wet canned, not dry, its fish/rice based and a tin is 65p (max) or the really big ones I've seen for £1.65 in The Range).