Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Old Photos

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Royoyo, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Royoyo

Royoyo PetForums VIP

Recently I was given an old suitcase that is full of old photographs. It belonged to my Grandmother. It's like a box of treasure for me as I really enjoy looking through them all.

I came across this photograph that seemed to really choke me up :oops: it's from my Grandparents wedding day in 1947. As you can see there was no extravagant dress or church or even lot's of people. From what my Grandma told me there was just 4 people at their wedding.

On the back of the photo she has written ''Off on our honeymoon!''. Their honeymoon was a bike ride around their favourite place and then back home for dinner.

They are both no longer here but they were such wonderful Grandparents to me and like I said made me feel hugely emotional.

Feel free to share any old pictures if you wish!

#1 Royoyo, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    bordie, Zayna, ForestWomble and 5 others like this.
  2. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

That's a really lovely photograph :)

I love it when my grandma sits down and shows me all her photographs from over the years. There's something very special about black and white photos.

We have my grandma and grandad's wedding photo at our house, it really was a simpler time :)

Royoyo likes this.
  3. Royoyo

Royoyo PetForums VIP

Thanks PawsOnMe, I agree there is something very special about black and white photos :).

Thankfully I managed to get a few sit down photograph sessions in with my Gran before she died.

4. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

I have a few old photos that family members shared when they knew I was doing the family tree/research. These two are probably my favourites

This one is my great great granny Emily, she was born in the workhouse where I was born (when it had become a hospital) just short of one hundred years later, her Mum had 6 illegitimate children so I never discovered who her father was. No idea what year this is taken or how old she is but she died in 1953 aged 83 so possibly in the mid 1940's?

[​IMG]

This one is my great grandfather Thomas who was the village policeman, he died in 1918 of influenza aged 34

[​IMG]

5. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

Royoyo, lovely to have a record in photo's of Family.
    I have lots of old photo's. This one is my Maternal Grandmother.
    [​IMG]

6. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I love this photo, such an elegant lady.

Valanita likes this.
  7. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

I love old photos like that :) Can't see yours though Royoyo. I think getting married in 1947 there would still be rationing so no cloth for a dress and i think folks got into the habit of doing without so well it was OK to have a low key doo, my parents were married in 61 and my mother just wore a nice 2 piece, though i think that might be because she was considered older (30's) wish i could ask.
    RPH i have a real love of old uniforms and a deep interest as to how they evolve, he was certainly a handsome fella and perfect for a policeman, notice the mustache a must have fashion accessory in those days and 2 years before were still compulsory for British army officers.

rottiepointerhouse likes this.
  8. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

I think the photo was taken on her wedding day, or maybe engagement. They often took single photo's of couples in those days. I haven't got the one of my Maternal Grandfather.
    Though this is him with the dogs Topper & Frolic. Taken many years later.
    [​IMG]

Siskin and rottiepointerhouse like this.
  9. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

I can't see your photo either.

10. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

My family don't seem to have any old photos.. I wish they did.. I would love to see what my ancestors looked like!!

11. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

We've just made contact with a man through Ancestry who has some family photos of my OH's ancestors. His Granny on his Dad's side died 10 years before he was born and he has never seen a photo of her but this chap has some family shots which include her as a young lady and her mother too so he has now seen his grandmother for the first time and his great grandmother plus there is a photo of his great grandfather. I'm quite excited as I do all the research (he is interested in seeing the results but not in doing the donkey work :D) and this has inspired me to look at his family again particularly as the photo of great grandfather (a labourer in his work clothes) doesn't really go with the family shot as the lady who should be his wife and all the children look more middle class and well dressed. There is also one of a young lad who would have been my FIL's cousin who died aged 19 in Basra during WW1, he looks so young in his uniform - I can't imagine what he would have made of Iraq after Dorset back in those days.

Zayna and Valanita like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice