Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Old Mouse with Concerning Balding

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Calibor24!, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Calibor24!

Calibor24! PetForums Newbie

PHOTOS OF BALDING BELOW: WARNING GRAPHIC

Hi, my name is Cheyenne and I was given an old male mouse about a year ago from my friend who works at a pet shop in town. He used to be a breeder mouse but he was growing older and the original owner didn't want him anymore. He was taken to the pet shop where they were selling him as snake food. My friend called me and asked if I would take him in and care for him until he passed. He was expected to live for only a couple more months but like I said it has now been a year (No problem because I love him lol). His name is Bernard and when I got him he was overweight and hardly moving around in his tank. I improved his quality of life in his tank by creating a better habitat. I can post pictures if needed. He had started to seem more healthy and was doing really well. I am a student and at one point he had to stay at my parent's for a month. I came back to get him and he started balding around his eyes and ears. I thought it was just his old age but recently within the past couple weeks he has been balding more and more around his tail and genitals. The area around the tail is red and raw. I thought he may be overgrooming but I can't figure out why. I tried to search this issue but nothing comes up for that specific area. He lives alone because he doesn't get along well with other mice. I use paper bedding, nonscented. I use wood or porcelian only for his homes. Could it be mites? We have other pets at my parents. A dog, and 4 cats. I don't know if they could be a factor?

Any ideas of what could be wrong before I take him to a rodent vet?

PHOTOS OF BERNARD

2. AnnB

AnnB PetForums Member

I've kept many mice and I've seen balding behind the ears and around the eyes before but I haven't seen balding around the base of the tail like that. It could be a number of things and if you've never treated him for mites before I would definitely do that but I would also get him to the vet for a proper diagnosis - his rear end looks wet and uncomfortable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice