Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Old goldfish

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by MobysMam, Sep 13, 2018.

1. MobysMam

MobysMam PetForums Newbie

My goldfish has just turned 27 and he's looking a bit poorly at the moment. He's at the bottom of the tank most of the time and has some marks on his tail fin. I've checked the water in the tank and all is fine. I'm thinking it's maybe just old age. Any advice on whether I'm overlooking something? Thanks!

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Hi. That's not a bad age for a tank kept goldfish. Mine reached about that and to be honest I did a bad job of looking after them when they were younger (received when I was a child).

As they get older their immune systems get less robust and organs can also start to struggle. Perhaps increase the frequency of the water changes (little and often).

I also find that they can struggle more in water currents when older which tires them out so some foam around the outflow or redirecting it can help.

3. MobysMam

Thanks so much for replying. I've been doing just that - more changes and a little at a time. The filter I have is quite gentle (it's a kind of fountain type). I think I'm just going to have to face it..... he's getting old :( I'll just have to keep an eye on things and make sure things are as comfortable as possible.

4. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

The behaviour you describe is rather similar to my old angelfish who reached 15 years then her buoyancy started going and she spent a lot of time at the bottom. She got picked on by her tank mates and after isolating her and working hard at treating her she did improve but a month later got worse and died.

After my goldfish lived to similar ages as yours I decided to not keep them any longer as its quite a commitment owning a pet which lives for 1/4 of a century. I thought tropicals would be less of a long lived commitment but I have currently got a bristlenose catfish giving my elderly cat competiion :)

It sounds like time might be soon. If you have to let him go I can recommend clove oil. Its quick painless and easy to carry out. :(

5. MobysMam

I'm consoling myself with the fact we must have been doing something right for him to live so long but it is quite upsetting all the same. I wouldn't know where to start with tropicals. Just goes to show that with love and care yours are thriving. Thanks for the tip about clove oil - I didn't know anything about that. I'll keep monitoring him for now and see how things go.

6. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

He sounds like he has been very well looked after. When I have told people the age my goldfish reached they have all been very surprised as most believe they only live a few years.

Tropicals are the same as cold water. Just need slightly warmer water which is solved by adding a heater. Most homes are warm enough such that the heater just needs to top the temps up by a few degrees so it's not expensive. I thought they would be harder to keep but they are not.

Hope you manage to get some more quality time with him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice