UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, would like to introduce my beautiful old cat, Kevin. She is a 17 year old female(!!) who has always liked her home comforts (fireside, warm clothing, blankets etc.) She has recently become a little wobbly on her legs, due to her age I assume, she's stopped going outside at all and clearly just wants a very quiet life now!

For the past few weeks she has lived in the kitchen and refused to stay in any other room. The kitchen floor is vinyl and I've tried boxes, baskets, blankets, towels etc. for her but she'll only lie on the vinyl floor. She has developed a habit of gazing at cupboard doors, if I open the door she will sit between door and cupboard so I can't shut it and gaze inside it! This includes the oven and freezer doors too, occasionally she will try to clamber inside and get to the back. One time she was about to step inside the hot oven, I only turned round to pick up a tray to put in it!

She also developed an infestation of fleas. She has been on frontline for years, along with our other cat, and I have never had a problem before. The other cat is clear so I have no idea how this happened, I seem to be getting on top of it now but really don't understand why the frontline didn't work on her this one time.

I guess all this is just down to her age, she will only sit on my lap now if I sit on the kitchen floor with her, she can't stand to be in any other room in the house, no matter how cold the kitchen gets.

Anyone else experienced anything similar with their cats?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Fleas seem to becoming immuned to Frontline, it may be better to try another type of stuff, I think Advocate is a good one, although I've not tried it myself.
Could it be that your old girl is developing a bit of dementia? Cats can get this too! There is medication and a supplement for this and it can be given in order to help with mental health, it may be worth asking your vet about it, one of them is call Anipryl, there is another as well, but I can't remember the name of it! I'm sure your vet will be able to recommend and advise.
You've done well to get her to 17 though, so you must be doing something right!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
ok, just go with me on this one a bit.... noting well i know nothing ...

flea treatments are carried in blood?
as kevvy is 17 is her blood flowing sufficiently to her extremities?
therefore... fleas not getting nasty tastes...

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Hi everyone, would like to introduce my beautiful old cat, Kevin. She is a 17 year old female(!!) who has always liked her home comforts (fireside, warm clothing, blankets etc.) She has recently become a little wobbly on her legs, due to her age I assume, she's stopped going outside at all and clearly just wants a very quiet life now!

For the past few weeks she has lived in the kitchen and refused to stay in any other room. The kitchen floor is vinyl and I've tried boxes, baskets, blankets, towels etc. for her but she'll only lie on the vinyl floor. She has developed a habit of gazing at cupboard doors, if I open the door she will sit between door and cupboard so I can't shut it and gaze inside it! This includes the oven and freezer doors too, occasionally she will try to clamber inside and get to the back. One time she was about to step inside the hot oven, I only turned round to pick up a tray to put in it!

Anyone else experienced anything similar with their cats?
Pogle-It's easy to dismiss certain symptoms as being due to 'old-age' but what you've described here sounds very like a medical problem to me. With the back leg weakness and the 'gazing' I would be very suspicious of a kidney disease, although there are others as well. Identifying and treating things early is the key towards ensuring the best outcome so I would have her checked out now. Otherwise she will only get worse. Any increased drinking or urinating?

Initially I would have a urine sample analysed and a blood pressure check ( the gazing may well be mild seizures associated with high BP which is common with renal disease) both of which are non-invasive and it will give you a better idea of how her kidneys are concentrating urine.

Incidentally, she may also be slightly anaemic from the flea infestation BUT I wouldn't instigate any stronger treatments until you've a clearer idea of her true medical condition, so I'd speak to the vet first. Use a flea-comb in the meantime.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.