Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

old dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ellie8024, Jul 21, 2009.

1. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i am currently dog sitting my uncles dog who has a bad hind leg from being run over a few years ago he also seems a little depressed. being a collie he wants out ALL the time and normally he doesnt get out all that much. i tend to take him out a lot, we do go long walks but its broken up by 10-15 minutes rest.. my kids play with him constantly (he loves to find my youngest) and that bringis back the younger side of him a little.

I was really wondering if there was anything else i could be doing to make him happier. I also have found him a little playmate in the form of my friends pup as he loves to play with other dogs and he goes out into my garden and plays with his ball too. It breaks my heart seeing him like this as i have known him since he was only a little pup and love him as much as i did my own dog

2. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Do you think he is depressed because his owner is not there as collies are one man dogs and like to be with that person 24/7 I know mine do.

3. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

no he is depressed when he is at his own house too, i personally dont think he is getting enough attention or exercise as he was raised as a family pet and according to my mum and uncle the dog seems happier at my house (probably because he is spoiled rotten and has all the cuddles and attention he could want). I do have a lot of experience with younger collies and workijng dogs as i lived on a farm for many years but i cant treat him the same because of his hind legs

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

He sounds like he needs rehoming to a person/family who are going to spend more time mentally and physically stimulating him.

5. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

the only problem is my uncle wont part with him long term as he has had him for 12 years and he has a lot of health issues, i do take the dog as often as i can for a few days at a time and if the dog is with people he doent know he does get quite upset and distressed. I would have him full time if i could but my cats and my bf would all have a fit (the cats tollerate him for a few days but get annoyed with him after that). I am trying to take him for a few days each week to make things better for him. he has his own toys bowls etc (basically a cupboard full of dog things). He does seem to be brightening up but i just wondered if there was anything else really that i could do

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Is he on pain relief at all?

7. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

he does get taken to the vets for injections and he is on a special diet to keep his weight down which is why i cant treat him the same as other dogs i have looked after, there is no chance of taking him hour long walks (or 6 hour walks like we used to take my gsd)

8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Maybe try some exercises that stimulate his brain. Like hiding treats.

If a dog has arthritis, regular exercise is vital. It causes more harm than good if there are days of no exercise, then one day of lots. The joints and muscles must be kept mobile.

9. Ive heard that swimming can be good for dogs with leg problems. does he like to swim?

10. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

he absolutely hates swimming lol we tried to take him to the beach during the good weather and he was NOT impressed. i make my youngest daughter hide and send the dog to look for her and he seems to love that game and during the day he gets a 10-15 minute walk every hour and a half. The kids have had him out playing in the garden despite the rain with his ball

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Thats good. But your uncle needs to be doing this everyday.

12. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Synflex for dogs is absolutely fabulous!! It's not the cheapest thing in the world but it really does help creaking old dogs!! ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice