Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

old dog problems!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Harry_Martin, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Harry_Martin

Harry_Martin PetForums Newbie

I was wondering if there are any elderly dog owners who would be willing to share the most common problems you come across while caring for your dog on a daily basis? This could include anything, for example I have an elderly dog who has had an operation on her leg and struggles getting in and out of the car, this means that whoever takes her out has to lift her in and out of the car because she isn't allowed to have impact on her leg. I am just looking for some of your problems to consider for my A-level coursework. any help would be great!

Thanks,
    Harry.

2. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

What is the coursework actually for? Not sure I'm keen on doing your homework for you.

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Arthritis and degenerative joint disease is often a common problem in dogs as they age. There is a very good chapter from a book on small animal orthopaedics about it below if that's any help?

http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/projects/saortho/chapter_87/87mast.htm

As animals age organ dysfunction like the kidneys and liver and associated problems with these can be another one, so kidney and liver dysfunction in older dogs may be worth investigating for your coursework too. Plus brain and neurological conditions that can be known more in older age like geriatric vestibular disease.

Hope this may give you some ideas.

Harry_Martin likes this.
  4. Harry_Martin

Harry_Martin PetForums Newbie

It's part of design and technology coursework. I need to find a problem that I can solve and design something that helps that person/group to complete their action etc. but previous years have also posted on pet forums to get them started on finding problems that they can then use for the rest of the course. so you wouldn't be doing my homework for me :)

5. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

I have a 13 yr old dog , who apart from surgery last year to remove mammary cancers, is fit and well with no major issues. I think she has some age related hearing impairment and also sometimes seems a bit bewildered, maybe a touch of dementia.
    One of the main problems as this breed age is dental , due to the conformation of the jaw. She required 8 teeth removing at the age of 9 y.o before we got her.

6. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Ahh! Fair enough then.

I would agree with Susie that a lot of problems in old dogs are down to the teeth. So something that cleans teeth without having to put a brush in their mouth would be great. Also something they don't have to eat cos those Dentistix are a waste of time.

And some sort of support for old elbows and knees. Something they can walk in that helps their joints.

7. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

My old girl at 14 is losing her hearing & her eyes are affected with the common age related nuclear sclerosis which causes a blue/hazy appearance to their lens. It is impacting her vision slightly, with her losing sight of treats/objects in front of her and misjudging distances etc. So she relies a lot on her sense of smell these days which is replacing her eyes & hearing.
    After a cruciate rupture in Dec 15 she now no longer attempts to jump into the car etc so she is picked up and lifted out each time. She still attempts to jump on the sofa but often misses and falls backwards :( so again, I have to lift her on.
    I give her a joint supplement daily as after her cruciate surgery arthritis was inevitable. But other than that she's still switched on, bright, alert & doesn't look her age at all.

My other oldie at 11 years has no age related ailments as of yet.

8. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

Another problem in older dogs seems to be digestion. Certainly in Tango's case her food intolerances are becoming more significant and harder to manage. She is lactose intolerant and sensitive to chicken which is present in a lot of dog foods, so I have to make sure her foods are free of it .Add to this, she's a scavenger so needs a lot of vigilance around the cat's food !

9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I would have thought that part of the homework is asking people for experiences!

I have never heard of support for elbows and knees for dogs. Not really something you could do as their elbows and knees are not in the same place as ours. Hips are probably the most common problem for elderly dogs.
    Just generally slowing down so not needing so much exercise. Deafness so that they appear to be a bit dim or disobedient. Failing sight so that you have to be careful not to move furniture around too much as dogs will map routes in their minds and not really need their eyes.

Rafa likes this.
  10. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

He asked for ideas for new inventions to help with the problems old dogs have.

11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

eh. Where did you see that. You must have a different post than me. I read it that he wants to know what problems older dogs have.

12. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

In post #4. It's his reply to my question about his homework.

Blitz likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice