Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Old Dog, New tricks??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by LinznMilly, Sep 21, 2013.

1. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

My Saturday night Muse ;)

Been round to my dad's after work tonight and, as you do, he asked about the dogs (or Mutts as he affectionately calls them :D)

I mentioned that Milly surprised me today because I'd been working on getting her to lie on her side - either for the Play Possum trick (for some reason, I don't like the thought of calling it Play Dead... Maybe BANG might be a better alternative :eek:) or for Roll Over. Anyway. First time she lay on her side, she was rewarded with a C&T. 2nd time she did it, she did 3/4 of a Roll Over, rolling from one side to the other, but not to the point of righting herself... she got her C&T and the very unusual sight of Mum dancing around the room - for which she promptly joined me :D

Anyway, I've had less success with Max, bless him. I try the same technique with him and he just back up into a sit :eek: and I mentioned this to dad. Dad made allowances for him, saying it's his age and "Old Dog, New Tricks etc". I said I wasn't so sure because I've taught him a number of new commands already in the 3 years he's been with me - Crawl (needs more practice, but he's getting there), Spin, Other Way, Find It/Where Is [the Kong/Ball] ... even started him weaving through my legs, Close the Door - and our latest trick - Meerkat. My dad's reply to this was that he can learn simple tricks, but for the harder stuff he's simply following the treat, but he no longer needs the treat as a lure for Spin, Other Way or Close the Door. :confused:

So, what's everyone else's thoughts? Are older dogs as capable of learning new tricks (albeit perhaps a bit more slowly) or is my dad right, and all Max is doing is following the cue?

#1 LinznMilly, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

The other night I was training my 2 dogs to run in a circle round my legs. My older (12ish) dog learnt it quicker than the young (4) one. Her arthritis and cataracts restrict what she can do.

She's always been a quick learner

3. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks for sharing that Burrowzig. Max has always been a quick learner, too. Milly looks stumped for a while but she catches on eventually. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice