Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Old cockatiel, new home. Advice?

Discussion in 'Bird Chat' started by illogical_Logic, Mar 18, 2020.

1. illogical_Logic

illogical_Logic PetForums Junior

So I have recently (yesterday) received a fairly old cockatiel ( apparently around 15-20 years old) from a friend. Right now it is very scared of me anytime I reach into the cage to give it food or water it starts flying around and ends up bumping into things in panic. I'm letting it settle in but it has yet to eat anything and I haven't seen it drink. I placed some food and water at the front of the cage and back where it has been perching. I am interested in providing it a larger cage but think that would be too much for it to handle right now.

My family has cared for many birds (cockatiel, conure, Indian ringnecks, cockatoo, lovebird, finches). Right now we only have the cockatiel and love birds. We have plenty of experience with birds and know what we are doing, but this is the oldest bird we have ever received.

My only question is what signs should I look for to know if it is calming down? It is being noisy and moving around a little bit. Seeing it eat and drink and not having it panic when I feed it would also be a big improvement. I was hoping it would calm down enough that I could let it out eventually (I don't think it has been let out of it's cage in years). I don't want to do anything too soon and stress it out.

Thanks!

2. illogical_Logic

illogical_Logic PetForums Junior

Update: It has started to eat!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice