Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Old Cat vomiting

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Alison Stirrup, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Alison Stirrup

Alison Stirrup PetForums Newbie

My Cat of some 23 years of age has been vomiting for some months now. I had her at the Vets recently, he said she was fine and it was common in old cats. However, she is getting thinner and thinner. She eats, or should I say, laps at the gravy and eats not much solids. I feed her each time she cries, which can be 4 times throughout the night. Any suggestions?

2. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd be seeing another vet tbh, it's not fine. Has she had a blood test to rule out kidney or thyroid problems. If not I'd really recommend a full blood profile.

I've moved this thread to the appropriate section.

lea247, chillminx, TriTri and 2 others like this.
  3. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome!
    Yes weight loss is common in older cats but it usually has a reason. As @Matrod has said she needs a full blood test to diagnose the problem.
    Her kidneys or thyroid could be the issue, but whatever the cause usually meds can be given to help.
    She is a grand old age, I'm sure if she is correctly diagnosed she can continue the rest of her twilight years in comfort.
    Please let us know how she gets on x

SbanR, TriTri, Calvine and 2 others like this.
  4. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Wow 23 is a fantastic age! I remember feeding my oldies several times through the night so know it can be tough. I would suspect an acid stomach to be causing her vomiting so would ask the vet about trying Famotodine to help ease it.

moggie14 and Calvine like this.
  5. ZoeM

ZoeM PetForums VIP

Hi Alison,

What a fab age your cat is. Cats do lose weight and get thinner as they age, as others have said. My vet put it well, and she said, have you seen old men? They get all skinny but have a pot belly..... Actually, thinking about it, maybe that's just -my- Dad! Kidney issues and intestinal issues that come with age, can mean cats no longer can digest their proteins properly, so sadly they lose muscle mass, from their back, hips, legs etc. My old guy (18) has lost 0.4kg over the last 6 months, and though that's not that much, people come round and say how much older he looks, because of the lack of muscle along his bones.

I do wonder if some vets aren't as committed to helping older cats because so many of their issues are due to 'old age'. But while old age is inevitable, suffering doesn't have to be, and the only option isnt to put to sleep. Cats can be helped with many 'old age' diseases, kidney diseases can be managed, arthritis can be managed, diabetes can be managed, and your cat can have a few more years pain free yet.

Lots of vets in the UK offer an OAP check which looks at kidney, liver, thyroid functions and will give you the heads up if anything sinister is going on. Can you ask for one of those, just to see if there is anything you can do about the weight loss? If your puss has lost appetite, has the vet checked his teeth? Old cats can have rotten teeth which will stop them wanting to eat.

As @Paddypaws says too, acid reflux is a big problem in older cats (due to a multitude of issues). Try putting the food bowl high up and listen for indigestion (burping and swallowing afterwards). Famotidine is one of the cheaper medications to get and can give cats loads of relief and a really rapid turn around in behaviour.

Good luck with your old girl xx

moggie14 and SbanR like this.
  6. Alison Stirrup

Tha

7. Alison Stirrup

Thanks so much, she passed away last night, quietly...................I'm so heart sore

8. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

I'm so very sorry to read this :(
    Big hugs xx

9. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh I’m so sorry :(

Sleep tight sweetheart xx

10. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

I'm so very sorry.
    Sleep in peace, Beloved Girl
    Xx

11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I am so sorry to hear your sad news @Alison Stirrup. She had a wonderful long life didn't she? A great testament to your love and good care. x

R.I.P beloved pusscat xx

12. ZoeM

ZoeM PetForums VIP

Oh no.. no no no :(

Alison, I am so sorry. I have no words, but my heart aches for you.

Much love xxxxxxx

13. Sacremist

Sacremist Resident Piss Artist

I’m so very sorry. She was a good age.

14. Whompingwillow

Whompingwillow PetForums VIP

I am sorry to read this sad news :( she lived to such a good age. Xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice