Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

old cat new cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by AAMerchant, Jun 27, 2009.

1. AAMerchant

AAMerchant PetForums Newbie

hey there

some pls help

my old cat isnt likeing that we have gotten a new kitten ..

old cat is about 9 - 10 months old and has been with us as the only one since she was 6 weeks old - shes a great cat and has always had the freedom to do what ever she wanted except bite - basically shes spoilt

new kitten came home with us on friday and made the old cat made ..

old cats not eating , shes hissing and growling and ive finally realized what her nails can do - also shes quite strong for a little one .. tried to mix the toys , litter and food ... and i just found out that for the first time since we have the little old one she has pee'd outside her litter tray

the new little one is having the time of her life the old ones in my sock drawer and shes not coming out -

any one - pls help really want to keep the new kitten but i cant put the old one through this - its to hurtful

2. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

give them time!!!! ensure your old cat is given lots of fuss and try to ignore the kitten to a point. give old cat treats and praise. it takes time to get to know each other. if we had to go live with someone we don't know we'd take some time to get to know each other etc.. also, tr giving the old cat somewhere safe they can go and be alone and eat. mainly, don't panic~! the cats pick up on it!

3. Summer1098

Summer1098 PetForums Senior

You might want to give each of your cats different living space until they get used to each other.

Sumaya

4. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Hiya did you keep the kitten in another room for a week?
    Do little intros & give your old cat treats so it thinks of the new kitten with nice things.

feed separately, maybe dot smells around the home on a rag, it might take 6weeks it might take 6 months it might never happen and they just tolerate each other, either way you have to be patience and be Very slow with it all!

They should also have a litter tray each and stay in there own room over night

It can be done, my 12year old is proof! :D

5. AAMerchant

the cats are in different rooms with the door open - should we close that door and have different and have different eating bowls and litter trays ... old cat loves my sock draw and shes been in there for the last 2 days .. we cant hand feed treats etc cause of the clawing and hissing and grawling ..

also old cat is not eating thats the main worry

6. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Hiya,

I have just introduced a 11 month old cat to a 4 year old cat and we had some problems. I kept the 11 month old in my room for a couple of days before introducing them. I then supervised them in the kitchen together and the 4 year old cat was not too impressed with the new addition.

I fed them at the same time but with different bowls. They had a litter tray each but used each others after a couple of days.

Dylan, the older cat, did wee and poo outside of the litter tray during the first couple of weeks...but she is ok now.

Just give them time to get to know one and other. Make sure you keep an eye on them when they are together.

Good Luck

7. AAMerchant

hello there

wanted to say thank you to every one who replied -

last night mit mit (old cat) went on an all you can eat spree ( thank God ).. we didnt give her too much food cause we didnt want her to have a bad tummy

and what goes in must come out...

she didnt want to use the litter tray at first but we emptied it sprayed it multipurpose spray and put new litter in ... not all success but hopefully she continues to use it ...

shes still hissing and growling now and then and shes staying in the bedroom but i think things are much better today being the third day of intrduction...

any more advice or tips are more than appreciated .. .

thanks again

Ally

8. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

Prior to bringing the two cats together in the fur so to speak - sprinkle and rub in some baby talc in their coats - especially around the rear ends and then make sure you brush it all out. The theory behind this is that when they get close to each other they will smell the same.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice