Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Old cat has sensitive digestive tract

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by seamaster, Aug 7, 2008.

1. seamaster

seamaster PetForums Newbie

My old solder has what I can only describe as a sensitive digestive tract, which renders him thin and hungry most of the time. The main relief for him is when we administer a worming tablet, whereby he gains weight, brightens up and eats well, after a week a slow decline sets in and he has very soft stools almost diarrhoea.
    I feed him on, sensitive Royal Cain, and wet cat food for mature cats, most of the time he sucks up the jelly and leaves the meat, he also has cooked chicken regularly.
    My understanding is the worming tablet sooths the digestive tract as well as de worming him, and its the soothing action that helps him.
    Been to the vet on a number of occasions with little joy after a few days.
    Any suggestions...

2. helz

helz PetForums VIP

This really sounds to be more of a medical problem so normally I would be reluctant to give advice and suggest you visit your vet, but you have already done that.

If the worming tablet helps, have you spoken to the vet about administering a low dosage wormer on a more regualr basis (DO NOT DO THIS WITHOUT TALKING TO YOUR VET FIRST!).

I always think dry food is a bit more sensitive on a cats tummy then wet food, have you talked to your vet about your cats diet?

If you have had little or no sucess with this vet, you can get a second opinion, either at the same vets practice, or a completly different one.

3. seamaster

seamaster PetForums Newbie

I'm going back to the vets this evening, we will see what the outcome is...

4. helz

helz PetForums VIP

Okay, keep us posted.
    Hope the vet comes up with something to help!

5. AJ

AJ Guest

Have you thought about feeding your cat a natural raw diet which would be less harsh on the digestive system?

6. audrey1824

audrey1824 PetForums Senior

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice