Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Old Bunnie winter in outside hutch

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Ginx, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Ginx

Ginx PetForums Newbie

Hi, I've got a 10 year old dutch rabbit, very used to being outside in his run and insulated hutch. But noticed recently he's not so active just spends most of time in hutch and even pooing in it rather than his usual place at the bottom of the run. He's a bit skinnier but eats all his bunny food, hay and veg.
    Just an old bunny but concerned he might now feel the cold. He was fine last winter and in the snow we just shut his door to the hutch at night with plenty of hay in an insulated hutch. I'm wondering if I should bring him in for the rest of this winter, I have an indoor cage, but our house is noisey family house with two cats and a barky dog. I feel bringing him in will be more disturbing for him as he's so used to the peace and quiet of his run and hutch. I have no garage or outside building. Heard you can buy heated pet mats or maybe add a vet bed? What's best? Thanks Ginx

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Has he had a vet check lately?

I’d say indoors would be too noisy/stressful for him tbh.

Could you erect a cheap shed to house the hutch in for the winter?

Does he get much company/handling so he’s not lonely? Rabbits are social animals.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice