Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Old Bun bonding

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Ekaf, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Ekaf

Ekaf PetForums Newbie

I have an 8 year old female who was spayed 2 days ago due to uterine cancer and other health problems caused by the cancer.

She is as sweet as can be with humans. She climbs into laps, licks, and nuzzles for pets. She does not mind being picked up in any form and does not hard bite (she gets angry at clothing in the way of her licking and will bite those). She doesnt spook. Overall a great rabbit for young kids, teens, and adults.
    She is best friends with our dog. And by best friends I mean she scares the living daylights out of him. He likes to follow her but she likes to stare at him when he's sleeping and it freaks him out when he wakes up.
    She has never had any interaction with other bunnies, and I'm afraid that getting her spayed so late in life affects her ability to bond. This thought comes from the fact that she's been living with hormones her whole life. Wouldn't that affect her behaviour?
    We have an unneutered male bun in the house and they aren't allowed to meet each other because we have no plans of bonding them. However I work for a rabbit rescue and they have plenty of neutered male buns my bun could go on bunny dates with. Their males range in age from a few months to 3 years.

I would NOT bond her for 6 weeks. These are just some questions I have.

Is it a good idea to bond her after so long alone and unspayed?

Does age matter in bonding? As I stated, she's 8 and I can't be super choosey as I'll never know what the rescue will be carrying 6 weeks from now. However in my experience, they don't usually carry anything above 3ish.

And lastly, her current pen is about 1.4 meters by 1.4 meters (4.5ftx4.5ft) with a 71cm by 107cm (28inx42in) house (this house is attached to the pen, not in the pen so that space is in addition to) with a double level. They would also have free roam of a bedroom and living room when the unneutered male does not have free roam. Is this big enough for a bonded pair?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice