Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

OKO Plus - is this right?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by CharleyRogan, Oct 22, 2012.

1. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

I know there was a problem recently, was it that it was all smooshy where there was cat wee? I bought a bag and went to clean today, and its all smooshy rather than clumpy like poop... Sorry if anyone has just eaten their tea!

2. donnamatrix

donnamatrix PetForums Member

Did the clumps hold together when you scooped?

3. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

If you have left the clumps long enough to stick together, then scooped and found you have no clump left, and it falls apart and through the scoop, then it isn't right :(

4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

There was a problem a few weeks ago but as far as I am aware it has been rectified

5. Oscars mam

Oscars mam PetForums VIP

I've just started a new bag and although its clumping it doesn't clump anywhere near as good as it used to, bits fall off it as you scoop it out :( I'm forever scooping and sieving :( but its not gloopy!

6. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

If it hasn't been covered correctly, or if the litter is not deep enough, it can look a beige-type colour with a bit of wet on the top and is a bit gloopy'ish to look at.

Sometimes mine are too lazy to cover up and I get that.

If that doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll take a piccie later when I'm home. :D

7. CharleyRogan

The litter is too deep, because he keeps kicking it out of the litter tray!

Its when I get my litter tray scoop and try and scoop it, its all gloopy and all at the bottom despite me scooping it every few days or so! Could you take a piccy for me? It doesn't seems as good as everyone said it was on here!

8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Might be better to remove all wee clumps and poop as it is done or as soon as you see it.Digging in the litter will break up the "clumps" and kind of defeats the purpose.How deep is too deep :confused:

9. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

You really need to scoop daily to get the benefits of the clumping litter. I scoop three times a day. More on the weekends when I am home all day.

OKO can be flushed down the loo which makes the job a lot less arduous.

10. CharleyRogan

Ah okay, this is the first time I have used clumping litter, been on silica litter which just needed to remove poop and rake it a bit!

I didn't realise I could put it down the toilet.

I filled it up to the top of the litter tray, and he just kicks it out, like a landslide!

11. donnamatrix

donnamatrix PetForums Member

I scoop once a day, and sometimes there's a layer of clumped litter at the very bottom so I need to scoop right along the bottom to catch it. The clumps don't fall apart as I sieve or carry the scoop to the toilet.

12. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I actually find that rolling the tray from side to side brings the complete pee-balls to the surface from where they can be easily scooped or lifted for disposal. It's the side-pees that are the beggars to remove!

13. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Flushing is great with OKO - just use common sense and don't put too many clumps down at once. I usually do 2 -3 clumps per flush and then, when finished, do a 'clean' flush (no clumps in loo) just to ensure anything in the pipes is well flushed through. :)

Depending on the size of your tray, it might be a bit too deep for him. He's only a baby paws right now. :001_tt1:

Is it an open or a covered tray? If open, you might want to think on getting a covered one as he grows bigger because if he's kicking stuff out now, it'll be even worse when those legs are stronger and not so little. :eek::)

14. sashski

sashski PetForums Senior

We have 2 covered trays with the litter a few inches deep - cones about halfway up the sides, have had no problems with the oko plus I've had.

Having used a clumping clay type before I am recommending oko to everyone, even my dad, its much more economical too.

Diesel is a little monkey when it comes to wee's, she starts off in a low squat but starts standing up mid flow so I end up with lines of wee not balls Hehe! These tend to break when scooped but they don't fit in the scoop whole!! :lol:

15. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

I scoop 2 - 3 times a day. I begin by sliding the scoop down the sides and into the base as I have a side pee-er. Once I have scraped the edges I tilt the tray to find the pee-balls in the middle. With the good OKO you can just pick them up and pop them in the toilet, but the rubbish batch just falls apart and looks like wet sawdust.

Although covered trays help with the mess, think of the poor puss in there with the smell, would you like to have to use a tiny room with no air for a poo? ;) Anyway, it is more fiddly to scoop, having to remove the top every time.

16. CharleyRogan

I have been looking at covered trays, he has the cheap blue one from P@H at the moment, can anyone recommend a good one or are they pretty much of a muchness?

Thats what my toilets like, small with no air! hahaha

17. cats galore

cats galore PetForums VIP

i have several different litter trays - covered, normal, high sided. my cats decide which they prefer and tend to stick to their favourites. van ness high sided litter trays or decent if you do not want a covered tray. this is a link to one place selling them but you may get them cheaper if you search the web.
    Van Ness High Sided Cat Pan - Pet Supplies & Pet Accessories | PET SUPERMARKET Online Pet Store
    i have only started using the oko plus last week - i can't believe i've managed all these years with the rubbish cheap stuff. i find the oko brilliant. i managed to fing the 30lt bags for £16.99 - free postage if you spend £29.00 at this website
    | More for Pets, Warwick, Warwickshire

18. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

This one comes highly recommended by the Moggy Towers Posse and also by several forum members:

Great deals on cat litter trays and accessories at zooplus: CatIt Cat Litter Tray

The folding lid on the top makes scooping very quick and easy WITHOUT having to remove the whole lid every time. The filter draws out any smells - although with OKO, this shouldn't be a problem anyway - and the nice high sides means that if Dax turns into a side-pee'er, he won't flood the place with any leaks.

We have removed the 'door' as my lot don't get on with this and it is easy to do so if Dax prefers not to use it either.

Moggy Towers currently has two of these and may soon be going up to a third one.

Do have a wee shop around though as some sites sell it cheaper than Zooplus but they may add P&P which will put the price back up again.

19. Leam1307

Leam1307 PetForums Senior

I have the covered trays from Zooplus, the Cabrio ones they are £13.90 the cheapest ones from P@H started at £20+ and they leaked down the sides for me, the cabrio has a fold up front so you dont have to remove the whole lid to scoop. its soooo much easier than my previous ones, abit bigger too.

I put about 4ltrs of litter in each box and scoop twice a day.. more at night if they do anything when im in. (4days in and im still on the original 4ltrs) Im just using tesco's clumping litter just now until my OKO delivery arrives and its quite good. alittle soggy at times but not bad for cheapy stuff.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice