Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

oko plus cat litter

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by katienjess86, Oct 16, 2013.

1. katienjess86

katienjess86 PetForums Junior

where is best place to buy a oko plus cat litter and it is worth the money eg comparing with catsan etc?x

also looking for a pet carrier that is good for buses and not really heavy but sturdy around £20-£25

also need a hooded litter tray thats good value

2. kimberleyski

kimberleyski PetForums Senior

Zooplus for all of those things I would go for. Oko for definite. It seems expensive when you initially outlay but it is fab litter and lasts for such a long time, as you don't keep need to do full tray clean outs.

3. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

We have just switched from Tesco odour control litter to Oko Plus and my cat hasn't stopped going in it since we switched!

When we used the Tesco one he would be desperately pushing the locked cat flap from 7am until we let him out at 9am, then he would run as fast as he could straight to the wood chip in the flower bed and do an enormous wee, then a poo.

I changed to Oko 2 days ago and he just goes in it straight away and doesn't try to get out. I might live to regret it as I'm constantly removing stuff from it but I'd rather he felt he could use it and wasn't crossing his legs for 2 hours every morning. It probably smells quite natural so is appealing to them.

My cat carrier isn't very strong so I wouldn't recommend it for long journeys. I might have to get a new one when he is fully grown. It's this one:

Small Plastic Door Carrier for Cats and Small Dogs by Roadrunner | Pets at Home

I don't use a hooded tray so can't help on that one I'm afraid.

4. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

For the last few months we have been using OkO and we got the large bag from zooplus at £25. It is Brilliant.
    We have 3 cats and they are in a cat proof garden and mostly use the trays Day and Night.
    We bought the Bag end of June and we still have a quarter of it left.
    The pros are
    Free Delivery to your house.
    The litter is light and pleasant to use.
    There is no smell which is a major plus.
    It can also be flushed down the toilet which i find very useful.

The down side is that it does track.
    So I have put one of those dirt track rugs down and the bits seem to keep trapped on there.

5. lunajim

lunajim Banned

We order from Zooplus. We have 3 trays and bought a 40l bag for £25, it lasted from the start of June until last week! Clumps are usually fairly big so it needs topping up once a week/fortnight (I would say less if you're using a hooded tray and litter mat) and covers smells fantastically.

I also need recommendations for hooded trays so thank you for posting first! :D

6. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

I use OKO Nature Gold pellets, a bit more pricey but less messy and easier to sweep off the floor, from Zooplus.

I have these Apple Black/Cream XL Bill 2F Hooded Cat Litter Tray Enclosed Toilet 40171 | eBay but I think mine are a smaller size, you can find them in various places so best compare prices. I like them because the back is higher and there is less chance of wee going through the join than the standard height bases.

I also have these for the same reason Hooded Cat Litter Tray by Comfy Cat | Pets at Home there are also Summer Bright ones on there- reduced. Not as strong as the Bill ones, the flaps aren't great but I take them off anyway. I do have a Comfy Cat that I bought from Ebay and it has a filter in, the PAH ones don't but there is a place for one.

Carriers - do NOT get an Atlas one, the bottom started to come off mine midway out of the door of the vets, the clips don't last. This is it, http://www.petsathome.com/shop/atlas-wire-door-open-top-cat-and-small-dog-carrier-by-ferplast-13651

I would avoid any of their make as they aren't too great at resolving it either. Personally I would look for a strong fabric one like a sports bag and get a little padlock to hold the fastenings closed. Plastic ones are awkward if you need to go on the bus. I also have Tbag which comes with wheels, and is also a rucksack, very handy for walking, wearing, carrying but can be a bit bumpy on rough pavements. Mine is a small one for my small cat, but you can get a larger size. This is the one I have Trixie Nylon Trolley, 36 × 50 × 27 cm, Black/ Grey: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

#6 maisiecat, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  7. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Zooplus for Oko and I think it's worth it especially if you use a covered litter box.

This is one of my carriers Rosewood Pet Products — Catalogue Product -not so heavy or as big as my Cabrio but still very practical. I bought mine from a local petshop.
    Covered trays - go for one as big as you have room for and put a mat (I have a bath mat) down in front to help stop tracking. Not sure what make one of my litter boxes is but this is my main one and it's brilliant Pets Best Products, Hidden Litter Cat boxes, Tuscany Hidden Litter Planter Cat Boxes - it is available in the UK if you look

8. gentoo1980

gentoo1980 PetForums Member

Another one for oko. I bought some last month and am happy with it but would like something I can buy at the supermarket so bought a bag of Catsan Hygine litter from morrions other day. Horrible stuff. Works out similar price as Oko but it's doesn't clump so using more of it.

It stinks as well when I change the litter tray. I thought it was supposed to be really good as masking orders so will just have to order oko from online from now on.

9. jilvis

jilvis PetForums Member

How often do you guys do a full clean out? I think I might not be getting the best value out of my oko plus as my bags don't seem to last as long as yours! I am changing them once a month but one of my trays is a beast so takes a lot of litter.

10. katienjess86

ordered some oko plus cat litter now and the cabrio cat carrier from zooplus now and signed up to there loyalty club ie 5% discount for future food orders etc every saving helps i suppose

11. inkymoggy

inkymoggy PetForums Member

I switched to OKO when I couldn't get World's Best urgently during the great dire rear episode last week, definitely not going back!

12. katienjess86

yeah it would be intresting to know how to get the best economy from oko litter eg obv clear all poo out etc but what can make it go really far etc as it is an expensive litter x

13. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Because oko is a clumping litter you only need to clean out the poo and lumps of wee-balls. The litter box should only need a complete change once every 4-6 weeks, though you may have to top up a little during that time. That's what makes it so economical. Even with two very large litter boxes a 40l bag lasts me around 4 months

14. korrok

korrok PetForums Senior

I'm really interested in the Oko plus but worried about the tracking issue. Is it really that much worse than, say, Catsan? I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (Hypermobility) and cleaning up tracked litter is bloody difficult some days! Saving my pennies for one of those robot vacuum cleaners... :001_rolleyes:

15. kimberleyski

kimberleyski PetForums Senior

I fully clean it out about once a month. I do have to do little top ups throughout the month though. I do only have one cat though.

Had our current 40l bag since about July and have about a quarter left.

The bag is massive though!

16. Craftymamma

Craftymamma PetForums Member

I use the oko and do a full clean out 4 weekly too, I go through the 40l bag a month. I do have 3 indoor cats and 4 trays though.

17. Craftymamma

Craftymamma PetForums Member

I have the Trixie Friend on Tour Trolley and it is fab, we have a cross maine coon and it is so easy to take him to the vets in this, no strain on the arms and my daughter is delighted that she can help by pulling him along. He also seems to enjoy the ride:D

I have the Catit Jumbo litter tray, tiger one which is fab it is large and takes a lot of litter but it can fit my big boys in no problem, they also do a smaller one,:eek:

18. lunajim

lunajim Banned

A hooded litter tray and a tracking matt at its entrance should reduce tracking considerably.

19. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Would one of these help? "Brights" Long Handle Dustpan and Brush for Sweeping & Cleaning | eBay

I have one, and using the OKO Nature Gold pellets it is much easier to pick them up.

20. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

I seem to recall that the Catit one doesn't have the higher back to the tray though? Just normal height.

When I got my last batch I was looking for a higher sided open tray that would fit in a certain space and none of the non covered ones would fit. I knew the Bill one would as I had them already and then found that the Comfy Cat was the same size and also had the higher back. As it happens Maisie has begun using it with the top on, but Bob still has his uncovered.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice