Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ok to leave Mum cat and newborn kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by MyBeanie, Aug 22, 2013.

1. MyBeanie

MyBeanie PetForums Newbie

Hi. Was hoping someone could give me advice. I have 4 cats, the last one we adopted as a pregnant stray. She gave birth to 4 healthy kittens Tuesday night and is feeding and looking after them well. She will occasionally get out of her bed for a wonder round but always returns to them.

Basically I am a bit worried as I have to go out for the day tomorrow and just wanted to check that the kittens and Mum will be ok on their own or should someone be with them?

I have been around most of the time with her since Tuesday so she is used to having someone there.

Sorry if its a silly question but wanted to make sure they will all be ok and not come home to a stressed Mum and kittens.

Many thanks
    Vicky

2. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Personally, I think it's absolutely fine to leave her. Many breeders I know have to go to work, often for many hours, having had a bit of time off to oversee the birth. Unless you know something we don't - i.e. you think that she'll be extremely stressed by your absence - I really wouldn't worry. Obviously you'll leave her with plenty of food and water and ensure that the room will be at a comfortable temperature for the day. It's when they get to anything from 4 weeks old that you really worry about leaving them!

3. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Exactly how many hours are you going to be out?

4. MyBeanie

Thanks for your replies. I don't think she would be stressed by my absence, it's more me! I will be out from 9 until 5pm

5. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Is there any way someone could look in on her at lunch time?

6. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

If someone can look in and feed her that would be idea, otherwise make sure she has plenty to eat. I think it's far easier to leave them at this age than later when the kittens are running around.

7. MyBeanie

I should be able to arrange for someone to come by around lunchtime.

I'm trying to make the most of them not being able to run around. I'm not particularly looking forward to 4 mischievous kittens causing havoc:smile5:

8. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

I stay with mine for a week at least, then drop back in during the day when I return to work. I'd not want to leave them a whole day so soon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice