UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Getting fed up with defrosting meat only to throw it away. So I started letting Bess smell what I was taking out of the freezer. When she got interested I defrosted that bit.
2. Spooning feeding her 400g of chicken mince cos she weren't gonna eat It any other way!

She won't even eat a chicken leg at the moment which she used to love!

Mind you, have noticed she's got a number of adult teeth pushing through which might explain why she doesn't want a bony meal. Doesn't explain the mince though :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Sorry, I too think you're being a bit of a softy ;) If you let her carry on like this you'll be well on your way to creating a very picky dog, sorry :eek:

I've had Alfie refuse a few meals that he's previously eaten happily so what I did was take it up after about 15 minutes, covered it up, back in the fridge and offered at the next meal time. Nothing else in between. It then gets gobbled up straight away :rolleyes: but if he hadn't eaten it then it would have gone back in the fridge again and carry on until he ate it.

I believe I am VERY good to this dog of mine ;) he gets (in my opinion) the best diet in his raw food, he gets loved, walked, played with and everything else a dog could ever need. The least he can do in return is eat what is given to him ;)

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Wow, my boys are such a bunch of fat kids.
They haven't refused anything and will continue eating even when they clearly can't manage anymore. :rolleyes:

I really wouldn't encourage eating from a spoon, she's going to have accept that food in her bowl means she eats it.
She's just going to get even pickier.

·
Registered
271 Posts
LOL – ok me spoon feeding a 7 yr old mini daks because he’s poorly and looking very skinny and not wanting to eat – mince, chicken, scrambled egg etc - and if he doesn’t eat anything after 24 hrs he’s going to the vets to ….. watching me having a digestive biscuit with my cuppa and wanting the same!!!! He’s back to normal now, I admit I’m such a worry wuss :D

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I know, I know! But I also know she's underweight for her age and still growing so it worries me. :(
It would worry me too so I do sympathise :(

If it were me though I would personally rather she miss a few meals if necessary (any weight loss would soon go back on) if that's what it took to get her past this naughty fussiness ;) You need to do whatever you're comfortable with though. There's a couple of great Raw feeding groups on Facebook if you're interested... loads of advice on there. Let me know if you want the links :)

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I'd be interested in the links, thanks.

Ok, so today she's got 200 g of the mince I fed her last night in her bowl. Hasn't touched it since I gave it to her this morning. The most I've done is out a couple of small biscuits in it to encourage her to realise its edible. She's eaten the biscuits but not touched the mince. She's not getting anything else today!!:D

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Yes, I'd be interested in the links, thanks.

Ok, so today she's got 200 g of the mince I fed her last night in her bowl. Hasn't touched it since I gave it to her this morning. The most I've done is out a couple of small biscuits in it to encourage her to realise its edible. She's eaten the biscuits but not touched the mince. She's not getting anything else today!!:D
Good for you. Stay strong! :D

Here you go:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/261761471359/

and

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/225320047573140/

You have to ask to join both of them but I was accepted within a couple of hours so doesn't take long :)

·
Registered
837 Posts
Please take my advice, don't be a softy! I was a big softy with my greyhound and now she won't touch raw (only chicken legs and wings) all because of me - I ruined my chances to feed her raw as I was far too soft with her she learnt to wrap me round her little paw! Or should I say big paw...Anyway, she has always been fussy but I didn't help in anyway! She is now on Arden Grange, which is the only food she seems to enthusiastically enjoy. Tough love is the way to go with feeding and atleast now I know for future reference to never be even the slightest bit soft! Good luck :D

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Stick to your guns, she won't starve herself as she has proved :)

I had awful trouble getting Lucky to eat fish and offal, she went days without food. Eventually she started to eat it frozen and now I have no problem.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Might I add the moment I saw I was being soft and toughened up, I haven't had any problems with her eating her current food :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.