Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ok so I was quite nieve about raising a puppy!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lucyandsandy, Apr 26, 2011.

1. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

I read everything, researched etc and thought hey I have raised two children how hard can it be!? It is HARD WORK! Loving every minute though :D Not liking the constant paranoia and worry she is causing me at the moment though but I look at her face and see her big brown eyes and all is forgiven!

My OH pretends to be an animal hater but he coo's over her and the cat sometimes when he thinks no-one is looking :rolleyes: What would I do without my lap warmer now when I am on the laptop?

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

LOL - totally agree.
    I raised 3 kids and the pups have definately given me more grey hairs :D

3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I don't have kids but agree - puppies are hard work! But worth it in the end :)

4. seratobyflynn

seratobyflynn PetForums Member

Yep! Puppys are fun for a much smaller amount of time than hard work! Glad my work can be done in short bursts while he sleeps! But he's special. Aren't they all?

5. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

Glad you are enjoying it, i have to agree I have worried as much if not more about the pups than the kids, cos they just cant tell you whats wrong.

I have loved so much of having them!

6. Polly Pocket

Polly Pocket PetForums Junior

I am in the middle of trying to house train the most stubborn puppy we have ever had, but I wouldn't change her for the world. :blink:
    The kids were much easier, they slept through the hoover, rarely made puddles and worse on the floors and never left teethmarks in the furniture, never tore through the greenhouse ripping out OH's seedlings, pulled the grass out in great clumps, and her latest game, doing the andrex puppy impersonations and tearing about the house with a loo roll in her mouth if the bathroom door gets left open :rolleyes:

They grow up so fast though and (touches wood) get all obedient :crazy:

7. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Aww do make the most of it, hardwork and worrying tho it is.

Today while waiting at the traffic lights I saw a little pup and it reminded me so much of Heidi - made me realise those days are now long gone:( . She's 2. I'm still loving every minute but will never have my little puppy back:D

8. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

My youngest son left teeth marks in the furniture, when he was teething he used to chew along the edge of the TV unit :eek: and his cot rail to the point he chipped his front tooth! :eek: My oldest liked to unroll the loo roll often or shove it all down the toilet so my children sound similar to your puppy! The shame :eek:

9. Thedogsdinner

Thedogsdinner PetForums Junior

Hehe and they stay hard work as adults ;-) but its worth it :)

10. Mama Sass

Mama Sass PetForums Senior

Totally agree....Basil was a lot of hard work but he's 18 months old now and is all grown up. He's still an absolute joy but I do miss those puppy days.

Just enjoy it and keep a sense of humour, soon it will all be over and then you'll be like me, trying hard to resist getting another one!!

:)

11. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Oh and I spent the first few months of Kenzie's life convinced she was about to drop dead from some deadly disease or a bit of leaf she ate :rolleyes:

12. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

I felt the same right after getting Charlie

I'd researched whether I could afford, look after and train a puppy, whether to get a puppy or not, what breed, reputable breeders etc etc etc for about 6-8 months before I got Charlie.

In the first few weeks though I thought I'd totally underestimated the task of raising a puppy and was a bit gutted that maybe I wasn't up to the task after all. As we all agree - its HARD work.

But with time Charlie and I learnt each other's routine and body language and personalities, and now I wish I could go back (with my knowledge of his idiosyncrasies) to when he was a puppy for just 1 day to see my little fluffy ball with big multi-coloured eyes and huge paws and ears!

My advice - take lots of photos/video. It's fantastic to look back and see how much they've grown. I've got pics of a lot of 'firsts' in Charlies life. First play with a toy, first time he wore his collar, first ice cube he went mental over, the first trip to the beach...:) priceless

13. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

I often foster and when i get a pup here i alwayus say no more pups.I want to know how somthing so small can make so much mess and noise but then look so cute and innocent.They are hard work but worth it.I must remeber this when they stand in the middle of destruction that looks like a tormado has been through your house with tails wagging and gives you a present of the book you were reading slightly altered with chew marks you have to laugh and remember to put things out of the reach of the one dog demolition team

14. beary_clairey

beary_clairey PetForums VIP

They are the best kind of hard work!

Even when they are both siting on my head at 7am waiting for their biccie when all I want to do is snooze for another 5 mins - they still make me smile.

All I need to do is win the lottery and get myself some land so I can have a couple more! :D:D

15. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Here here!

I've always thought if I won the lottery I'd buy a field and turn it into a public dog park where dogs could be off lead safely - one thats all fenced off properly with gates, doggy poo bins and a big sign saying 'ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK' :D lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice