Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ok im going to have one last go at bonding.... with pics

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by crofty, May 20, 2010.

1. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Right Im having one more go today, i have spent the last 12 hours unable to sleep for thinking about Teddy. I have taken the three boys on a 30min car ride through the forest in my smaller dog crate.

Yesturday i had their drinking bottle on the cage and the newspaper i used had been stored in the garage.... i know its clutching at straws but i really have to know for sure i did everything i could to know whether they could bond or not.

The dog crate i think is too big to start with, Joey made himself a corner and was going for everyone that came near, as soon as teddy moved he was defensive, it didnt help that teddy was trying to reaarange the whole dog crate either it just wound Joey up more. I had used a wet cloth to wipe them over to encourage them to groom, but as soon as they started to dry the trouble started.

So i have brought the little crate in the lounge, its not big enough for them all to be in there for more than a few hours but it might start things off better. They all have banana on their heads, so watch this space.

Here are the pics from yesturday and a pic of them in the small crate now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They're not very impressed now!
    [​IMG]

#1 crofty, May 20, 2010
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  2. Zippstar

Zippstar PetForums Member

Sorry to ask but who's who?

3. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Thats ok, Joey is black, Dreamer is chocolate tan, Tinkerbell is blue minilop and Teddy is the agouti/white frenchie.

4. Zippstar

They are so gorgeous...how are they getting on now?

5. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

Heehee! You show em!

Oh I hope it works hun! Good luck! :)

6. kiara

kiara PetForums VIP

how comes you put banana on there heads and wipe them down, how does this work and what do you do at night when its bed time? going to try mine in the next school hol. x

7. Zippstar

It encourages them to groom and ask each other for grooming. I would imagine the banana is so they will get close to each other in an attempt to eat it and get familiar sharing their space.

8. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

This time i have wiped them with animal wipes you buy from the petshop to try and remove some of the scent to encourage them to groom (destarct from fighting!) The banana on the heads is to encourage them to groom eachtother, i use banana because mine love it. Grooming is a really important part of bonding.

At bed time you dont get much sleep! If the bondings going well and they are settled then its a shame to seperate because you undo some of your work, i put the crate in my bedroom, if theres a scuffle im a light sleeper and they wake me.

9. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Fine all quite relaxed, Joey is a asleep, tinkerbell is attacking the towel, its not quite in the right place for her :rolleyes: Teddy is asleep and Dreamer is grooming.

10. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

I'm glad things are going well at the moment hun, I really hope that you crack it this time. Sending positive bonding vibes your way :thumbup:

11. Zippstar

So when does the trouble usually start? If Teddy invades Joey's space?

12. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Well Joey has nipped Teddy's nose once, Teddy got a bit pushy, i shouted 'no' and they've settled back down.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Zippstar

So, just for my sake (i am blonde you know :D) give me their names again as per the first photo in your above post? Am i right in thinking it goes (left to right):

Joey, Teddy, Dreamer, Tinkerbell?

Maybe they just need to be kept in close quarters to start with and then gradually spread out. Positive vibes your way :)

14. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

Awww - good luck Crofty. Love that last photo with dreamer and Teddy laying side by side. Lovely.

15. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Yes, then Joey was doing the same with Tinkerbell and Dreamer, he was just getting more wound up and then eventually went for me! Which is not like him at all.

He's better in this smaller cage, has nipped Teddys nose once but just went for Tinkerbell so ive taken them on another car ride but as a four and settled them back down again now.

16. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Yep thats right.

Yes thats what im going to do, we'll have to see if i can sort Joey out and make him accept Teddy.

17. Zippstar

You are such a good owner to them; hopefully this will work out and you will have the happy foursome you want :D! definitely encouraging!

18. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

Really hope it goes ok! It was bad enough watching my two fighting, can't begin to imagine how you feel when it breaks out between all four of them!

I've got my fingers crossed for you! :)

19. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

The prisoners! Joey has nipped Teddy again :rolleyes: so they've had another car ride but just round the block.Teddy doesnt really seem very bothered!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Zippstar

Is he asleep? Bless him he's really not bothered is it. Naughty Joey!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice