Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

ok i might not have the snake i bought....

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by Wilted0Rose, May 13, 2010.

1. Wilted0Rose

Wilted0Rose PetForums Member

last year i bought a ball python at 12 inches long .... well i though she was a ball python as thats what the pet shop told me. But now just over a year latter she just under 4 foot ... ans is starting to look more and more like a rock python. I am scared and have no idea what i will do if she is a rock python as i have never looked after a snake that gets that big. any advice?

2. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

don't let it sleep in your bed! :lol:

ermm.. have you a photo?

3. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Tip number 1. Make sure you let go of the rabbit before she grabs it, 12 feet of python wrapped around you with your hand in its mouth isn't funny at the time

#3 hawksport, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  4. Paul Dunham

Paul Dunham PetForums Senior

Sell it or find a good home for it whilst it is still of an acceptable size for rehoming. If you feel that way now, you'll have a shock when it gets to adult size.
    These snakes tend to out grow their owner because they don't realise what they were taking on, and are then passed from owner to owner usually dieing from neglect. I think you should sue the pet shop if this is the way they do business. Royal pythons are unmistakable from Rock Pythons even as babies and a pet shop which sells you a Rock Python instead should not be in business.

5. Wilted0Rose

I dont mean to be rude, but i would never give her up not even if she hit 43 (figure of speech, i know they dont get as big as retics) foot long. i just never looked after a snake that has passed 4 foot before thats all and need a little advice. i will get photos of her up as soon as she has finished shedding as she can be quite nasty XD

6. Wilted0Rose

Yeah ill get a pick up as soon as she has finished shedding so she wont be so snippy.

She has all the characteristics of a ball python ( the whole curling up into a ball) but she uncoils pretty quick. her neck used to be smaller than her head, but now its thickening up near enough the same size as her head.

she sheds normally twice a month on which i know is very odd. i used to only feed her once a month but the she started getting aggressive so i started feeding her more often and the more i fed her the bigger she is getting.

I just want to know if its possible for a royal to grow 3 foot in one year ?!?!?

7. hawksport

hawksport Banned

3ft is less than I used to get with Burmese in the first year, although you have to take into account yours was only being fed once a month at the start. It does seem a lot of growth for a ball.

8. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

People really keep Rock pythons and other very large snakes? Surely they need a whole room for a Viv?? :lol:

9. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Just about, and good locks

10. Paul Dunham

No your not being rude at all. In your original posting you said you were scared and didn't know what to do. Having work with and kept many of the large snakes. It is a sad fact the vast majority of them wind up dieing from neglect because many people under estimate what they are taking on and usually move them on to anyone who will take them off your hands.

This is not a criticism of you. You were deceived when the snake was sold to you. Forewarned is forearmed and It's better you know what your getting into. I've seen too many of these large snakes suffer over the years.

11. Wilted0Rose

That is very sad :( i am scared and dont know what to do, (saying i dont know what to do, i mean i dont know how to find out) i dont know how to tell the difference anymore :S like i said ill get a pick of her up when she finishes shedding so i dont get bitten. ( i never have been bitten by her but i do know That day is comming) i know the size can be over whelming but i will figure something out if she is a rocky as i love her to pieces XD she is my little bit of africa lol i cant let that go XD

12. Paul Dunham

You can find out information on keeping and breeding, even hand rearing of pretty much any animal on the planet these days off the net.

Just tap in keeping African Rock Pythons into Google and you will be overwhelmed with information on all aspects to do with keeping them.

Good Luck.

13. Wilted0Rose

True, its funny how things like that can slip your mind. ill be doing that thanks XD

14. cherry.chops

cherry.chops PetForums Junior

since a rock python is worth alot more than royals and have completely different markings and shape head...the ship you bought it from would have to have been pretty bloody useless to make such a HUGE error. Rocks should NEVER be kept by beginners.

and i dont mean to sound rude..but you should have done a sh*te load of research before buying a snake...so there would be absolutely no way you could even get a royal mixed up with any other snake, since they look so different!

do you have a pic?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice